Mac Pro Refurb Experience

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by yochiar1, Dec 3, 2010.

1. yochiar1 macrumors newbie

I'm considering a refurb Mac Pro and was wondering how this has worked for others who have done it. Was it in as-new condition or was it obvious that it had been pre-owned? Also, any serious failure issues or issues with warranty?

Thanks,

2. DualShock macrumors 6502

I bought my refurb 2008 Mac Pro in mid 2008. Absolutely no issues with it. No scuffs, dings, dents, looks practically brand new. In other words, if you looked at it in passing you couldn't tell it was a refurb. And it's still going strong. (The refurb Cinema Display I got with it is another story...)

You get the same warranty as a new Mac Pro, and you can also extend it with AppleCare.

One thing you may need to consider is that you can't get a refurb built-to-order.

Also, all of the above only applies if you get the refurb machine from Apple directly, not from some 3rd party that may be selling refurbished Mac Pro's.

3. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I didn't buy my MP as refurb - it wasn't available when I needed it - but I have bought refurbs before. My experience in all cases has been great. I would doubt Apple's policy regarding MPs is any different from ohter macs...

so you can expect as new condition - you wouldn't know if it was preowned or not anyway - thorough testing and inspection, and very few chances of failure. Warranty-wise, it's just as a new computer. The only difference is the box it comes in.

Refurbs are great deals if the inventory suits you.

cheers!

4. Phillie14586 macrumors member

I just got a refurbed MacPro two days ago. The only issue I have had is getting out of FedEx's hands. There must be someone present to sign their pad. You cannot use the presign slip or sign a door tag. Now the FedEx Express guy would not even leave an iPod with out a direct signature so he went next door and my neighbor signed for it. The FedEx ground guy guy did not do that with my MacPro. So make sure you have good neighbors or make sure to leave a note on who not to leave you package with. Also if you go to pick up you computer at the depot make sure where it is. FedEx Express, the air people, and FedEx ground are like two separate subsidiaries of the same company.

If you want a current MacPro watch the refurb store everyday. They may only be there for several hours then gone for weeks again. You can get last years slower processors and GPU for the same price as the hard to find current ones for the same price.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Apple is known to be great with refurbs, so you shouldn't notice a difference between a refurb and a new product, other than the box.

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

I just bought a 2010 Mac Pro refurb. The only possible way I could tell it wasn't new is that it came in a plain white box. It was otherwise perfect in every way.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I bought a 2010 Mac Pro refurb a couple of months ago. It's fantastic in every way and looks brand new.

A few years ago I bought a Mac Mini refurb and it's the same story. Looked new, worked great.

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I have purchased more then 50 apple refurbs. 2 doa 48 good.
    imacs
    mac minis
    macbooks
    macbook pros
    printers
    lcds
    dvd drives.
    never grabbed a mac pro. I would not hesitate to buy the pro as a refurb.
    2 bad mac minis all other gear was fine.

you get a 1 year just like new and you can buy apple care for 1 year just like new.

9. bmat macrumors 6502

I got one delivered the other day. The box was strong, but it had those handle holes (I noted this is another thread). I felt that was not the ideal way to ship the computer, but it appears (knock on wood) to be fine.

I checked the refurb store a bunch because I wanted a hex core, and when one showed up I got it right away without really stalling. I know there are websites that will e-mail you when they show up. But the site I used didn't ever send me an e-mail and it doesn't even reflect the fact that I ordered a hex core from the U.S. refurb store on Nov. 30. It shows the last one to show up was several weeks before that.

10. yochiar1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help

Hey everyone, thanks for the help. I kind of figured that there would be no problems but wanted to see what people had found. It's amazing that the condition is so good as most MPs get scuffed and beaten up; probably because they are on the ground in most cases and it is easy to hit them with your chair, vacuum, etc. Also looking at used units the tops are usually beat up from having back-up drives, coffee cups, ashtrays, etc on them.

Great to hear condition is not an issue! I will be getting a refurb. I have been stalking the apple site for a couple week now. The good ones do go very quickly so if you watch long enough you can get a feel for what type of unit is a good deal.

11. silby101 macrumors member

Rather than stalking the store, try using this script that got me my hexacore. It checks whatever site you want it to, and then emails you the instant anything changes, with the html of the change before and after. It worked for me, and I got the second hexacore that appreared in the Canada store.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11219233

If you have any problems with it, just let me know!