Mac Pro release speculation

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by strausd, Jun 7, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

This could be completely wrong, but I just thought I would share my thoughts with everyone. If the MP does not come out tomorrow, I think there is a possibility of it coming out June 15. The iPhone 4 isn't on the online store yet and probably won't be til June 15, when they start pre orders. Which means the online store will go down a week from tomorrow and all the iPhone and iPad keynotes have come and gone. Sounds like a possibility to me, but then again any Tuesday is a possibility... But I'll still keep my hopes up :)

2. cohen777 macrumors regular

if not now, then soon

Maybe the reason a new Mac Pro wasn't announced is because Intel doesn't have enough hexacore chips. But, Intel wants to sell chips and Apple wants to stay ahead of Dell and the rest of the PC crowd. I was half expecting Jobs' famous Photoshop comparison between a Mac and a PC running all filters now that Photoshop is 64 bit and cocoa native for the Mac.

3. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

You want to complain a little more? I'm just expressing my opinion and saying what I think. Free speech man.

5. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Not on this forum. You may express your opinion in one of the many existing threads on this topic, as creating duplicate threads with prior knowledge of others' existence is against our rules.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep ... people seem to start threads, because they cannot google info on the Intel Workstation roadmap and see that the hexacore chips are expected to "begin" shipping in quantity this month and the next chipset is slated around summer 2011.

Apple either gets new chips in quantity to ship them before the quantity shipping date or will kick the machines out 60-90 days after that date.

Either week or 2 after the show ends, or in 3 months.

---

Just because they note that the 6-core Xeons were expected to ship in quantity this month, doesn't mean the the slice of the market Apple uses is shipping in that batch. Which is why we have speculators to say, the next Mac Pro Xeon is here in quantity...

7. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

No new MP for at least two weeks.

Apple needs the press to focus on the iPhone. Anything else would distract them. MP might be even a month away+.

8. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Well it's not like I'm gonna say this in the "no mac pro til September" thread because it has nothing to do with a mac pro in September.

9. Ravich macrumors 6502a

A new MP wouldnt deprive the iPhone of any attention.

10. Vylen macrumors 65816

On the contrary, you would say it there cause in your "opinion" (as you're calling it), there Mac Pro will be updated in the next couple weeks rather than in September.

I hope this thread gets merged into the other one soon.

11. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I really don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal about these things. Sure there are other threads that are similar, but there are so many posts that people feel like what they say can go unnoticed. Also They often get off topic. I just wanted to say what came to my head about June 15 and see what other people thought.

12. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Amen. I hate the thread police. I say post away, the more threads the merrier!

13. Tonytownsend macrumors member

ha your funny, these posts are like on the Iphone forums about people posting what case they should get 60 million times gets annoying.

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I don't think there has been any rumor detailing that the Mac Pro would be released after June, but if someone can reference such an article opposing this, then please do.

But keeping that in mind, the last credible rumor (and not counting Shaw Wu by any means), was probably the one reported by AppleInsider mentioning the Mac Pro and 27" ACD would both be released sometime in June (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/03/18...ch-led-cinema-display-mac-pro-update-by-june/).

Seriously, this rumor is probably still the strongest one, so you may be right about a mid June release (or any Tuesday this month), but somehow I seriously doubt that we'll be waiting until Fall for the Mac Pro.

15. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree. But if they do not do a mid June release, I think it will be updated a few months later, like Sun Baked said.

16. HSJR macrumors member

Once apple release 2010 MacPro; I believe we shall start making our speaculation for 2011 MacPro :p

I think we won't see any MP before October 2010; because holiday season (Summer) has started and I don't think apple will make major update for its iphone and MacPro at the same time.

17. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Why the heck not???

They are completely separate product lines and have NO impact on one or another!!!

18. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

Of course they do! Being an Apple fanboy, there's only so much I can shell out for gadgets every month. My 2007 MP is in dire need for an upgrade, yet I just got me an iPad, and I absolutely need to have the new iPhone - without simlock that is, which means I gotta shell out another $1000. ;-)

19. telequest macrumors regular

I've been trying to understand the logic behind the commonly-held view that if there's no Mac Pro release in June then it's definitely another 3 months or so.

Without getting into the "are you a pro or not" argument, most of us working stiffs making a living with the help of our Mac Pros do not get the entire summer off. And I assume Apple doesn't shut down its factories then either.

The most plausible reason for the delay in the 2010s is that Intel has not been shipping the new Xeons in adequate quantities. That plus the likelihood that Apple's engineering talent has been preoccupied with the various iProducts.

It makes business sense for Apple to announce and ship new MPs as soon as the necessary parts and talent make that possible, whether it's in June, July, August or the 12th of Never. The MP is not a consumer product driven by holiday shopping cycles or public relations strategies. The release will be independent of any iProduct event. And those who rely upon MPs for business reasons (or any other reason, all are valid) will buy them regardless of what month it is.

20. fearoftigers macrumors member

What was the delay between the i5 and i7 chips coming out and the release of the Macbook Pro?

Could we use this as an approximate basis as to when Mac Pro's will be released?

21. Halamolo macrumors regular

22. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree with you on that one. I think Apple thinks of their product releases differently when it comes to their iProducts and pro products. Many people are graduating and going off to college and parents are likely to buy their kids a new phone or something like that for those occasions. But they aren't as likely to go buy a new Mac Pro for their kids. It seems like Apple will release it when they have the chips and not when its the right time of the year. But I still think it would have been nice for Apple to announce a new Mac Pro, even if they weren't released. I would rather them show up in the store with a longer shipping time then them not show up in the store at all.

23. chmilar macrumors member

At this point, all bets are off regarding when Apple will release the MacPro.

We have passed two significant events when Apple could have made an announcement: the day that Intel unveiled the new Xeons, and the WWDC.

The current speculations revolve around two theories:

1) That Intel is unable to deliver the parts in quantities that Apple needs. This assumes that the next MacPro is nothing more than a processor upgrade (and update of video cards, etc.).

2) That Apple is waiting for new technologies like USB3.0 or LightPeak, and the next MacPro be more than a simple processor upgrade.

If the first is the true reason, then Apple will silently upgrade it some random Tuesday in the next month or two. It is unlikely this will be tied to an Apple media event.

If it is the alternative reason, then it will be a long time.

24. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't really see Apple waiting for something like 3.0 or lightpeak, just doesn't seem like something they would do. A silent update seems most likely at this point, but who knows.

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's another realistic alternative.... developer availability (too few people spread over too many projects = increased development time per project).