Mac Pro retailer options?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ryan P, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Ryan P macrumors regular

As I live overseas and am trying to purchase a new Mac Pro from the US, it is a bit of a challenge. So far the places I know of are:

Apple Retail Stores
    Apple Store Online
    Mac Mall
    B&H Photovideo

I can get an ASMP discount of ~8% at the online Apple Store, but it is largely negated by the sales tax they will charge me to ship/pickup anywhere in the US. Mac Mall has a 4% discount, but it goes away if you do build to order options, no sales tax. B&H Photovideo gives me a ~3% ASMP discount, no sales tax, but has no configuration options and some less than ideal bundles.

As I've spent a small fortune at B&H, I'm pretty confident they will take my overseas credit card and ship it to any address in the US I ask them.

Any other places I should be looking?

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

3. shokunin macrumors regular

Macconnection also have some BTO macs for sale, you could probably even call them and ask for a quote on a custom BTO.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

B&H although do not really let you customize, but they do sell a number of pre-configured models outside of the standard channel configurations.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you can ship anywhere in the U.S., AK, OR, MT, DE, and NH have no sales tax.

6. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

State sales tax rates (or existence) vary by state. The only reason Apple charges tax in certain states is that they have a "business nexus" in that state - typically an apple store. Therefore there are more tax-free places to ship than you have listed.

If Apple -is- collecting taxes for shipments to these other states (with no nexus), they are pocketing them, or are financially retarded.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple has a presence in every state, and thus charges sales tax in every state of the union that has a sales tax. That is why I listed the states that do not have a sales tax. If you ship to any state I did not list you will be charged the local sales tax rate.