Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Hard to reach ports seems to be Ive's signature design motif. Reminds me of trying to plug a jump drive into an iMac.

I'd bet good money that the front ports on the Mac Pro tower were NOT Ive's idea.
They're much too useful!

geomiga

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Might be part of the nMP strategy. Make the HW/SW so compelling to get people to take a serious second look at a piece of software that ONLY runs on your platform.

Exactly! This is what the Commodore Amiga did back in the day. It sent the home computer market several steps forward, and then when the Video Toaster was built specifically for it, it really took off with video people everywhere.

----------

I'm in agreement with those who wants a few ports on the front.

Occasionally I find the need for front data ports during a work session with a client where I'm using multiple USB sticks and/or portable FW raids to transfer data.

Think of it as a work of art! And at only 10" tall you really don't have far to get to all of your ports.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Exactly! This is what the Commodore Amiga did back in the day. It sent the home computer market several steps forward, and then when the Video Toaster was built specifically for it, it really took off with video people everywhere.

----------

Think of it as a work of art! And at only 10" tall you really don't have far to get to all of your ports.

Errr no........

The Commodore Amiga took computing that costs £1000's and brought it down to the £100's

It was also a machine that was better than anything else around at almost everything for that price point. Entertainment expecially

The Mac Pro is not in any way bringing the price way down of amazing leap in tec down to a price for the masses, and also not at all designed for entertainment.

It's an expensive niche machine, for a very narrow marketplace.

I would LOVE Apple to make an "Amiga" but that is totally the opposite of what Apple do.

Philter

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2003
If I was a video editor who used FCPX and had a lot of money, I would be excited.

As an audio guy with a machine room and no need for expensive graphics processing, I'm looking into the migration to Windows.

Lucky video guys!

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
People saying turn the Mac Pro around are daft. The giant power plug is coming out the back.

I was waiting for someone to point that out. Glad you did.

except the giant power plug is about the same as a thunderbolt cable.

(nothing to do with which way you orient the computer.. just saying they did a pretty good job at camouflaging the size of the main power lead)

nmp30.jpg

as far as orientation goes, the people that often need access to the i/o panel (1-2 day onsite setups etc.) will naturally keep the panel exposed.. the people that sometimes need access will have an empty cable plugged in and sitting on their desk.. (such as a lightning cable or loose TB cable)..

for me personally, i have two loose cables in the front of my macpro that are laying on the floor.. a fw800 and usb.. i'll now only have 1 thunderbolt cable sitting loose, on the desk, instead of those two on the floor..

seems like too many people are focusing on finding problems instead of solutions.. solutions to problems are way better than problems.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
MP cables?

I'm not to sure I understand the issue with the cable hook ups, doesn't the older Mac Pro have the cable hook ups on the back? I myself don't see anymore of a problem with cable routing then any other computers. When I need another port or change one the ports they're never in a convenient spot.

However, I'm not an editer of any kind, and I can't speak from an editors standpoint, only from my personal experience with computers in general.

I'm really looking forward to getting the MAC PRO and I think it looks incredible! I've read enough preliminary reviews to know Apple has done it again, releasing a great product, the Mac Pro!:apple::cool:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I'm not to sure I understand the issue with the cable hook ups, doesn't the older Mac Pro have the cable hook ups on the back?

yeah, on the back under a desk and attached to a 60lb chunk of metal..
the new design's ports are so much more difficult to access.. :rolleyes:

-----------------

watch first 15second where the guy struggles with getting access to the ports :rolleyesagain:

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Wow. I've seen the pictures, but I never quite realized how freakishly tiny the thing was until watching that. Man, I could save a ton of desk space with that thing...

Great. Now I want one. :mad:

Why do you have your computer on the desk?

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
seems like too many people are focusing on finding problems instead of solutions.. solutions to problems are way better than problems.

If only Apple focused on the solution instead of forcing users to work around the problem they created. Granted it's not a show-stopper, but Apple chose appearance over practical functionality once again. I believe aesthetics and functionality can coexist.

I'm not to sure I understand the issue with the cable hook ups, doesn't the older Mac Pro have the cable hook ups on the back

The previous Mac Pro also has ports on the front.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
If only Apple focused on the solution instead of forcing users to work around the problem they created. Granted it's not a show-stopper, but Apple chose appearance over practical functionality once again. I believe aesthetics and functionality can coexist.

dunno.. the designers working for apple are pretty much masters at combining aesthetics with functionality.

i guess we just see it differently.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
dunno.. the designers working for apple are pretty much masters at combining aesthetics with functionality.

i guess we just see it differently.

We literally see it differently, highly reflective glossy displays being the most obvious example. Long live the anti-reflective 30"ACD.

Also, go into an Apple store. The glare off the screens is crazy, and the noise level in the store itself is silly. All in the name of aesthetics.

But that aside, I still prefer Apple.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
(as in- if you don't like something.. don't buy it.. pretty simple, right? )

That's why I still haven't replaced my aging 30" ACD's.

The real issue is that Apple makes compromises to functionality for the sake of appearance, the Apple store being the most 'glaring' and noisy example.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
That's why I still haven't replaced my aging 30" ACD's.

The real issue is that Apple makes compromises to functionality for the sake of appearance, the Apple store being the most 'glaring' and noisy example.

right.. that's why i said we see things differently..
i think it's good to put strong emphasis on aesthetics when designing something.. you- not so much.
no biggie

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
i think it's good to put strong emphasis on aesthetics when designing something.. you- not so much.
no biggie

I think a strong emphasis on aesthetics is good also. Again, I think it's possible to have both aesthetics and functionality without sacrificing one for the other.

Apple in many cases puts the emphasis on aesthetics while at times sacrificing some functionality.

Happy Holidays to all!

Cheers!

Last edited:

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Couldn't get easier?

The only thing easier then that is wireless......:cool:

yeah, on the back under a desk and attached to a 60lb chunk of metal..
the new design's ports are so much more difficult to access.. :rolleyes:

-----------------

watch first 15second where the guy struggles with getting access to the ports :rolleyesagain:

YouTube: video

----------

Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas!:D

Happy Holidays!:D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
no biggie

For something VISUAL which has the visual side as the end product yet.
Clothing, a Watch, Hairstyle, Car to seen in perhaps,

A computer is a tool on a desk to CREATE a product.
A box that holds electronics. The screen IS the visual aspect to the computer.

You make a tank to fire a gun and win a war.
Not say, well it's an Apple Tank, looks amazing,but hell to fix, it only fires this certain ammo, and the tracks are not as good as they looked ugly.

The tool is no longer as good.

The box should be the last thing to worry about with a computer.
If you can make a nice box without damaging any function then yeah go for it why not.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How does Premiere run on it compared to a Windows based pc using the same processors, RAM and top of the line video card setup?

Now that would be interesting to see.

Many folks are dissing on the Pro for being the same as an iMac on basic computer stuff but that kind of makes send. The Pro was designed to give major power to pro apps. It doesn't need to be crazy fast on getting email etc. If folks are just doing that they generally don't get a Pro.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is gonna seem like a really dumb question, but why don't you all turn it around so the ports are within easy reach?

I was thinking the same thing. My boss has already ordered one and left instructions he wants it set up so the ports are 'on the side' so he can reach them. Wasn't a hard thing to come up with.

----------

From what I have heard from a friend of mine who is heavily invested in CGI (working on hollywood blockbusters) this is not quite the machine many pro users have waited for. They asked for a smaller machine that is massively faster and what they got was a massively smaller machine that is just a bit faster.

The FCP.co review doesn't track with that. Makes me wonder exactly what software the you are using and if it has been optimized for the new hardware. Non optimized hardware would potentially be slower because it's not tapping the whole system

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Why? It might be a year before Adobe revamps their software for this machine, and that's assuming they are. Am I just supposed to drop frames like on an iMac and pretend I'm getting better results than I am?

Or not. Final Cut Pro is already updated for it, if not motion, Logic and Aperture also. And if they are not they will be very shortly. These are the pro apps, these are the apps they want smoking in this machine. Email, web browning etc are secondary. If that is what you are mainly doing then you don't need this machine. So don't buy it. If you use something like Avid or Premiere and they aren't ready for the Pro, then don't buy it. It's that simple. No one is holding a gun to your head. No one is going to not hire you even though you can get the work done because you didn't order one in the first hour. So if you don't see the point, don't buy the item. Issue over

----------

Why? It might be a year before Adobe revamps their software for this machine, and that's assuming they are. Am I just supposed to drop frames like on an iMac and pretend I'm getting better results than I am?

No, you go bitch at Adobe for not updating faster or use a different software.

----------

The previous Mac Pro also has ports on the front.

For the most part those ports were underpowered and really only handy for plugging in a flash drive to grab a quick file, sync up an iPhone etc. Rarely do folks use them for any kind of heavy lifting. That was typically wired to the back portal cable managed etc.

Frankly I agree with the folks saying this isn't a big issue. It's 10 inches tall, reaching around it isn't that hard. And how often will folks be needing to plug in and remove something daily. If it really is that much you are more likely to just leave the cable attached etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.