Mac Pro shipping box

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by marvingaye, Jan 9, 2008.

1. marvingaye macrumors member

If I order a Mac Pro from the online Apple Store, will they ship it in a plain cardboard box?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The one we bought last year was the standard apple black & white box inside a form fitted brown box.

Cheers,

3. marvingaye thread starter macrumors member

4. donharriss macrumors newbie

donharriss

Mine arrived from the Apple Store moments ago in a big black box with big apple logos :apple: and pics of the beast all over it - maybe not what you'd want hanging around a front porch by itself for long.;)

And dang if this box isn't a beauty!

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Record your unboxing on video or post pictures of the action, please! Seriously, seeing that stuff for Apple products is like doing drugs... :p

6. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

I told my wife that I'll be taking photos when the Pro arrives next week. All she could do was shake her head while walking away. :D

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Our spouses do eventually learn how zen-like the act of Unboxing is. I'm up in the air about whether or not I'll record mine on my iMac's iSight or our digital camcorder... :p

8. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

My Mac Pro arrived in the "store" box, huge pictures of the machine and apple logos all over.

Good thing I Was home, would have hated to have that sitting outside.

9. marvingaye thread starter macrumors member

Ah, okay, I guess I'll have to get it from the physical Apple store then. They told me it would take two days to add the wi-fi option - is that normal? I really don't want to drag that big thing through a mall and a parking lot, but I guess that's better than having a big Apple box sitting outside for everyone to see.

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I've never had Apple Online Store orders (MB & MBP) leave a computer outside. FedEx always left a note and made me pick it up if I wasn't going to be available to receive it. They said all Apple orders are like that unless you explicitly request otherwise when ordering or sign the waiver online once the order is in the system.

Cheers,

11. termina3 macrumors 65816

I've had the same deal. Mac Pro arrived, FedEx left a ticket b/c there was no one to receive. They realize how much those computers are worth and how obvious that is--they require a signature (or, I guess, a signed release).

12. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

There's no way they leave that stuff on your Doorstep..
    --
    Unboxing is definitely a joy in itself.. I enjoy the smell of fresh hardware. :D

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Other than the small type and the aluminum keyboard inside, unpacking looks no different than unpacking the 2.66.

14. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Lol. That being said, I'd still waste the time to sit and watch! I admit, I'm a big dork!

15. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Would they leave this on the front porch or leave you notification that they were there :confused:

16. Roy macrumors 6502

FedEx will not leave it on your doorstep if you are not home. I've ordered 4 Macs from Apple and FedEx delivered them all. I wasn't at home on all 4 of them. FedEx guy left a note on my door. I went to the local FedEx and picked up 3 of them and the other one the FedEx guy made a 2nd trip by my house in the late afternoon. In each case I had to sign for the boxes.

17. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Thanks for the info. Puts my mind at ease.

18. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Don't bet that they won't just leave it. I've had both a Dual-core G5 and a Mac Pro just left outside my front door even though it specified 'Signature Required.' Guess who the tracking page said signed? 'F. Rontdoor'
    Fortunately nothing happened, but I complained to Apple and FedEx both times.
    Have it shipped where someone is there to receive it if at all possible.

19. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

My MacBook arived in a plain cardboard box with the retail box inside if that helps.

20. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

They do it to me all the time. Whether it's $100 or $2000 item, they don't care. And the signature is always "L. Boy."

UPS does it also.

However, my location is rural and there aren't many people around (quiet neighborhood, long driveway).

21. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

22. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

The problem is that, in the US anyway, it's shipped via FedEx Ground.

The original 30" ACD that I ordered with my Mac Pro last year was stolen by FedEx Ground, probably by some temporary holiday worker. It's in a big box with a big pretty picture of the pretty pretty display on the side. Tracking showed that it got as far as a sorting facility somewhere and then...nothing. After 2 weeks of calling the FedEx 800 customer service number, I was finally patched through to a manager at the facility and demanded to know wtf happened to my $2000 display. They finally put in a lost item report and I had Apple send me a new one.

The new cinema display (like the Mac Pro that came before it) were left in my apartment building lobby, without so much as a courtesy call to let me know it was downstairs.

FedEx Ground (a different outfit than FedEx Express) has a bad reputation for crap like this.

23. Roy macrumors 6502

While I would say what an honest person you are, others might say how stupid you are. You could have had 2 Dual-core G5s and a 2 Mac Pros for the price of one. Definitely not my experience with FedEx and my Mac deliveries.

24. Roy macrumors 6502

I've never paid any shipping costs for my Macs from the on-line Apple Store, so mine must have been delivered by FedEx Ground. UPS leaves a lot at my door step, but never anything that needs to be signed for and FedEx has never left my Macs at my front door and I've had to sign for all 4 of them. Not disputing your experiences, but mine are definitely different.

25. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

To those of you saying that FedEx will not leave the box on your doorstep: you're mistaken. It depends on your relationship with your FedEx delivery person. When I lived in Indiana my FedEx guy knew me well. He left my PowerMac G5 on my doorstep, albeit slightly obscured by a plant.

It might not be keeping with their policy / Apple's demands, which might offer recourse, but if your FedEx guy knows you well enough / knows that you want your packages left, he/she will likely leave it.

Just saying.