Mac Pro Shipping

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by neiltc13, May 6, 2009.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I ordered a mac pro in the morning on April 29th. I customised it a little, and Apple said it would ship within "4 business days". Fast forward to last night and my computer is sitting at "Prepared for shipment" but all day today there has been no word on it actually being sent to me.

By my count, today is either the fifth or the sixth business day, depending on whether they took a day off on Monday for the May Day holiday.

I'm wondering if anyone has ordered a Mac Pro recently and how long it took to get to you. The Apple site estimates delivery on either Friday or Monday, but if they're sending it from China (as the person on the phone said to me yesterday) I don't see how that is possible. How accurate were the delivery estimates?

Yes, I am very impatient, but I can't believe it's taken them over a week to build my machine.

2. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

And not long after I submitted this topic I got the shipment notification and it's not good. It's scheduled to arrive on the 13th May, which will be exactly TWO WEEKS after I ordered it.

Not great service :eek:.

3. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me... ordered a octad w/minor additions on Apr 29... got an e-mail today saying a delay has occurred, and will be arriving May 12-16th!!!! Should have been 2-4 business days.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....that is why they are called *estimates.* Sometimes they can run out of the specific part you customized, or the volume of stuff in the queue backs things up....unless it turns into a month or more I don't think you've got much to be annoyed at. Once shipped, the estimated delivery is normally pretty accurate. There *can* be a day or two difference if there is a delay going through customs (and Apple has absolutely no control over that) but that's the exception rather than the norm...oh yeah!

5. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

^^^^^^^^^
    That's complete hogwash...:rolleyes: First, the website doesn't say "estimated time to ship" it says "Ships in: 2 - 4 business days". So I could see them missing the mark by a day--i.e. 5 days or 6 days (even though that's 50% off the estimated time!!!). But we're looking at 8 or 9 business days! That's an error of 100% or more on the "estimated" time, which isn't even claimed to be an estimation!!!

You must work for Apple! :p

6. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I ordered the Mac Pro in my signature on 4/27 with estimated: "Ships: 4 - 6 business days"

It shipped from California on 4/30 with free standard shipping and arrived in Texas on 5/5.

I still haven't gotten the AppleCare though, I'm assuming it still ships in a separate box like it used to?

7. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

I'm not sure Apple is sending anything for AppleCare anymore... I didn't get anything and it says completed on the order form... any one know??

8. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

I ordered my Pro: 1P (4 core) 2.93Ghz, 3GB Ram, 640GB HD, Radeon 4870 on April 26th. I received it yesterday (May 5th), standard shipping.

I also was wondering about the Applecare, so I called today. The very nice lady told me that the coverage is automatic starting on the day that it physically shipped out, but that I will receive the "welcome kit" box thing in 1-2 weeks.

Hope this helps guys!

And yes, it's SWEET! I ordered 8GB Ram off Newegg for it and popped it in in like 2 minutes. Works great! I can't get over how quiet the machine is (except when the Optical disk is spinning, My GOD that thing is LOUD!). Otherwise, just doing normal light duty tasks, my Time Capsule is louder than the Mac Pro!

9. Abidubi macrumors 6502

lol, they aren't sending it from china. I custom configured mine and it left california after about 4 business days.

10. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Sure enough my AppleCare "manual" and TechTool Deluxe CD showed up regular postal mail today. They were in a thick envelope with a return address to "arvato digital services" in Valencia, CA.

11. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't see why they would stock Mac Pros for customers like me in the United States. Surely that would be a huge expense and China would make more sense?

Either that or Cork, ROI would be a better place?

It shipped with "Kuhne & Nagel" and the tracking number doesn't work on their site.

12. FRKT macrumors member

13. JediMac macrumors newbie

I ordered mine on Friday, May 1st. It shipped Tuesday, May 5th. Scheduled to arrive Monday, May 11. I don't think that's too bad.

14. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

What did you order (i.e. which Mac Pro)?

I ordered my 8-core on April 29 and it hasn't even shipped yet!!!:(

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I ordered mine on March 30th, it is finally supposed to ship on Monday May 11th. I had very long delay waiting on the RAID card.

16. JediMac macrumors newbie

The 2.66 quad-core with the ATI card. Nothing too out of the ordinary so that may be why it came together quickly.

17. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

My order status just updated. The carrier is now listed as "UK Distribution Center" - does this mean it's actually in the UK?

I hope so. The tracking number it's listing is definitely one for TNT as it begins "80".

The status says: "Delivery scheduled by final carrier, see estimated delivery date" which is still listed as Wednesday 13th May. Here's hoping it's sooner!

Earlier today I also got my AppleCare enrolment certificate by email. The serial number of my Mac Pro begins "CK" which this site mentions as originating from Cork, Republic of Ireland.

18. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

TNT are now listing my Mac Pro as "Out for delivery" so I'm assuming it's going to arrive today. It's frustrating waiting for it, I have my WD Caviar drive sitting beside me ready to pop in when it arrives.

19. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

So shipping is now updated for Mon or Tues next week... keeping my fingers crossed...

Also, not shipping from China. Shipping from CA.

20. rajeevmac macrumors newbie

I ordered mine on 3rd May and it is scheduled to arrive on 13th May. Not too bad... and I customized it upgrade the memory and the graphics card. It looks like it will be shipping from Sacramento, CA.

* Processor 065-7883 Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xe
    * Memory 065-7889 8GB (4X2GB)
    * Graphics Card 065-8316 ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
    * Hard Drive Bay1 065-7906 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    * Optical Drive 065-7924 Two 18x SuperDrives
    * Wireless Option 065-7926 AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card
    * Apple Software App- iWork 065-8643 IWORK '09 PREINSTALLED
    * Mouse from AOS 065-7938 Apple Mighty Mouse
    * KEYBD + USER'S GUIDE FOR AOS 065-7943 APPLE KB (NUM)& USER GD
    * Country Kit 065-7963 Country Kit Mac Pro

21. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Well today is the 11th and still no shipment notification. 6 weeks to the day since I ordered my Mac Pro. Has anyone ordered the RAID card and actually received theirs yet?

22. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Mine arrived today! (Sans raid card) Everything is working perfectly.:D:D

23. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Woke up very late tonight (or very early today) to find a shipment notification in the inbox. Finally out the door and on the way. :)

24. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Quad 2.66 with ATi, 8GB RAM, stock HD, wireless mouse and Airport.

Ordered Saturday May 9, expected May 19-20... that's next Tuesday at least, so still a week away. I'm impatient too! The configuration's not a complicated one, so they must either be stuck for inventory or just have a HUGE queue to get through.

If it wasn't so much significantly cheaper to get the config options as default, I'd have just gotten the stock config and upgraded later on(though then I would have had a leftover mouse, GPU and RAM modules).

That's a crazy amount of "slippage", I'd have chewed them out over it! :O

25. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

When I originally placed my order (March 30th) they didn't have the 4870 in stock. But they offered to ship it as soon as it was available, if I would like to install the RAID card myself. I said I can wait, I have 4 working Macs at the house so all is well.

Waiting is hard but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. :):apple: