Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should be the Mac Pro form factor?

• Go back to the PowerMac G3/G4 design! It was better!

Votes: 19 3.8%
  • Keep the current design! It is so sleek!

Votes: 135 26.9%
  • Revamp it, and bring us something new. I'm sick of the current design.

Votes: 348 69.3%

• Total voters

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider is confirming that Apple's upcoming Mac Pro will indeed be quad-core in at least one model. However, with quad-core on a single chip (Kentsfield) not due until Q1 2007, Apple will have to employ two dual-core chips like today's Quad.

The use of multiple processors in the Mac Pro would require Intel's Woodcrest chip. Early rumors had indicated that Conroe was on tap for the Mac Pro, but Conroe can not be used in dual-processor configurations.

Recent pre-release benchmarks of Woodcrest can be found here. Still unknown about the Mac Pro is exactly what Apple has in store for the enclosure. AppleInsider does note that recent motherboard prototypes from Intel largely mimic the size of today's PowerMac motherboards, which could indicate that an immediate departure from the current form factor is not in the cards.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Well, assuming this is true, it is a good thing - now we can focus on one particular chip's specs to see what is in the future!

But no new enclosure...Apple, I'm getting a little bored. There's gotta be something new in Ive's mind!

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Are we even suprised? Apple has always touted their top of the line macs to be some of the fastest machines available, they are going to need something really standout to be a flagship model.

And it makes sense they are going to keep a very similar form factor. Change the aesthetics of the case, then the ACDs need to change too.

getBytesLoaded

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
?

RichP said:
Are we even suprised? Apple has always touted their top of the line macs to be some of the fastest machines available, they are going to need something really standout to be a flagship model.

And it makes sense they are going to keep a very similar form factor. Change the aesthetics of the case, then the ACDs need to change too.

What the h is an ACD?

SciTeach

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
NEK
longofest said:
They are indeed 64-bit. Everything here on out will be 64-bit.

Until a few years from now when everything will be 128-bit.:eek: :rolleyes:

If my memory is correct (It fails sometimes), hasn't Apple announced their "Pro" line in the past at WWDC (usually June) but not have the computers until mid-Oct or even close to MacExpo SF in January. Maybe the top end won't come out until then.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
acd = apple cinema display

I liked the G3/4 cases, but they are terribly outdated. The current design shows power, but it wasn't designed with looks, but efficiency in mind. The reason it has holes all down the front and back of it is to increase airflow to keep those hot hot chips cool.

When the quad-core chips come out, i reckon we may be expecting an oct-core PM/MP... can't wait for the technology of tomorrow...

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
The current design is sleek, but I suspect any negativity will come form people who either want a lighter case, smaller case or blunter handles :D

tcmcam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2002
Hoping for Quad

Apple has made the iMac better, so it has to come up with new ways to differentiate from the MacPro.

The iMac NOW includes: (this used to require a PowerMac)
- External DVI for dual-monitor support
- Dual-Core Processing

The MacPro at a minimum will provide everything the iMac does, plus:
- PCI slots for expansion
- Additional Hard Drive options
- Hopefully DUAL - dual-core chips (Woodcrest)

If all the MacPro becomes is an "expandable" iMac, that could be an issue. I see the iMac being a pretty good platform for many small business users. Perhaps the MacPro just becomes a platform for the SERIOUS horsepower user (e.g. Quark, Final Cut, Aperture, Illustrator).

I personally would love to see TWO form factors in a new "MacPro"
1. A full sized tower like today. Supports QUAD processors and everything you can throw at it.

2. A "mini-tower". Bigger than the cube, perhaps only 2 slots (one for Video, one for "future"). And a couple of hard drive bays. This would be the perfect "step up" for iMac users that need more expandability. This could just be dual-core chips like the iMac, just with more expandability. I personally would pay a small premium over the iMac for this capability.

my 2 cents....

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
depending on the cooling required, the holes may just simply disappear. Maybe dual optical drives? more front ports?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
It's great to hear that Apple might be planning to do this. As the news item states, Conroe cannot operate in a dual processor configuration, so Woodcrest would have to be used. It wil be interesting to see if Apple splits up the line with 2 separate processor architectures - Conroe for the lower 2(?) models and Woodcrest for the top machine. Or perhaps they will introduce a "Mac" and a "MacPro", with the "Mac" being a Conroe mini-tower and the "MacPro" being a Woodcrest beast. :eek: ;) :cool:

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Bring on the Mac Pro! :D

As for the design, I am very happy with how it is now. I don't own a Power Mac G5, but I really do love its current design. If they do redesign it and it looks even better, then I'm all for that too. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I think this article is probably accurate, as Apple doesn't really have much choice in the matter. Intel is the future, PPC is "old", so Apple will need to release a top end PowerMac to compete with the current quad PPC beast. Conroe isn't going to do that. And Apple is not going to release a new PowerMac with new Intel technology and then have the "old" quad PPC PowerMac still outperform it. Apple needs to release something better than the quad, which is a tall order to fill, however Woodcrest is definitely the answer. Until Kentsfield and Cloverton that is. :cool:

admford

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
Personally, I'm a bit worried in the fact that only after the new year, many professional apps will be released in universal binary format. I understand that Apple wants to transition completely to Intel chips, but with the lack of native pro apps, the true speed of the machines, even quald cores, could be severely under rated for over six months.

Apple is trying ot boast that the passage to Intel chips gives their computers a large adavance in speed, but with the Quad Core PowerMac, being as fast as it is, it's going to be extremely hard for Apple to produce something that on ALL apps is at least 1.5x faster than the current generation.

LtCarter47

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Roseville, CA
~Shard~ said:
Or perhaps they will introduce a "Mac" and a "MacPro", with the "Mac" being a Conroe mimi-tower and the "MacPro" being a Woodcrest beast. :eek: ;) :cool:

Interesting idea. I wonder if the "Mac" could then fit in a smaller case design...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
p0intblank said:
As for the design, I am very happy with how it is now. I don't own a Power Mac G5, but I really do love its current design. If they do redesign it and it looks even better, then I'm all for that too. :)

Yeah, I don't see anything really wrong with the current design, other than the fact that the towers are fairly large, and there is a lot of unused space in it. I'm all for avoiding clutter and being minimal, but only to a degree.

Plus, Apple hasn't redesigned any of their machines for the Intel transition, so I see no need to now. But you never know - Apple is always full of surprises!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Remember when Steve announced the move to Intel? He was on an Intel Powermac. Lower chip power consumption and more than a year (maybe more!) to play around with new enclosures -- I can definitely see a redesign.

I really hope that both DVI ports are dual-link. The $3000 pro machine shouldn't need to have another video card added (or a more expensive card substituted) for pro users. I'm thinking dual 30" displays for photo/design pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.