Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac Pro To Get Dual Optical Drive Slots?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple's forthcoming Mac Pro will sport dual Optical Drive slots, if a recent report from AppleInsider pans out. In addition, the power supply is rumored to be moved from the bottom of the enclosure to the top. Otherwise, the enclosure would remain largely unchanged from today's PowerMac G5 design.

ThinkSecret currently believes the Mac Pro enclosure change will be a more radical departure from the present design to signify the processor change.

Also mentioned in the article is an independent report of possible specifications for the new machines with the "Best" configuration topping out at two 2.66 Ghz Xeon processors. This anonymous source sent possible specs for the Mac Pro to both MacRumors and Appleinsider, and while the validity of the specs are uncertain, the anonymous specs also independently claimed the new Mac Pro would have two optical drives.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
This is good news for me.. it will make it easy to resist buying one this year. No 3ghz xeon, no bluray, no new case design.

Comment

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
2003: "In 12 months, we'll be at 3GHz".
Mid 2006: "I want to talk about 2.66GHz" although 4 cores running at 2.66GHz (Yum! :D ).

Comment

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
ahhh, why didn't they have dual optical slots in the current G5's..
too much heat from the PPC's and all those fans?

well i am really looking forward to the new look.

Comment

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Can anyone tell me the purpose of dual drive slots nowadays? I can see the use for them (and had computers with) when they were limited to one function, i.e. DVD-ROM for one and a CD-RW for the other but now that everything can happen in one drive with speed not being an issue, is it really nececcary to have two?

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
vniow said:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of dual drive slots nowadays? I can see the use for them (and had computers with) when they were limited to one function, i.e. DVD-ROM for one and a CD-RW for the other but now that everything can happen in one drive with speed not being an issue, is it really nececcary to have two?
Burn two DVD's at once and DVD copying.

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
vniow said:

There used to be some software to directly copy from CD to CDR, and this was very common in the days before people had MP3 players... but I can't imagine many people doing this anymore, and I don't know of any software to do this with DVDs.

It would be nice if you play a game that requires a CD in and won't permit you to use a disc image on the hard drive.

Comment

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
3 GHz

BlizzardBomb said:
2003: "In 12 months, we'll be at 3GHz".
Mid 2006: "I want to talk about 2.66GHz" although 4 cores running at 2.66GHz (Yum! :D ).

Now, that is FUNNY!

However, based on availability, Apple could get up to 3GHz if they
really wanted to:

Dual Core Intel® Xeon™ Processors 5160 (4MB L2 Cache, 3 GHz 1333MHz FSB)

Perhaps "one more thing......"

Comment

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
I got excited for a second - hey a $1799 low end quad, I'm sold! Oh, wait, just one processor, never mind.

Too expensive on the low-end, if true. I suspect we'll see a lot of reviews and benchmarks giving a bad cost to value ratio for the Macs.

Comment

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Power supply at the top? Blah! :mad: I hate the power supply on the top, not that
it would keep me from purchasing a new MacPro though. ;)

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A new case would be "fun" but what I care about is what it delivers, not how it looks when I crawl under my desk :)

For the low-end (single chip) towers, dual core Conroe makes more sense to me than Xeon, simply for cost reasons. (Though I'm eyeing the new Xeons for my first ever top-end Mac... with dual-duals!)

Two optical slots would be nice, allowing me to "wait and see" about next-gen optical formats.

My intention: to wait for 3Ghz+ Xeon, which sounds like it should only be a few months later. That's also time for a few little tweaks to be made if necessary, giving me something between a version A and version B machine.

milozauckerman said:
I suspect we'll see a lot of reviews and benchmarks giving a bad cost to value ratio for the Macs.
Without a doubt. And in keeping with long tradition, the "less expensive" name-brand PC will mysteriously come with less (ports, software, even speed if Netburst lingers) than the Mac :)

Comment

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
nagromme said:
....<snip>....My intention: to wait for 3Ghz+ Xeon, which sounds like it should only be a few months later. That's also time for a few little tweaks to be made if necessary, giving me something between a version A and version B machine.

Yeah, and I would hope for a faster FSB as well.

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
If true, these definitely would be powerful machines, however for people like myself, the power and resulting price tag will be simply too much to justify. Leave the Xeons for the PowerMacs, but introduce some mini-tower machines with Conroe chips - they would fit nicely between the iMac and PowerMac. For me, the Mac mini isn't enough, the iMac is great, however non-upgradeable. I'd like something upgradeable, where I could replace/upgrade HDDs, optical drives, and most importantly the display - yet a PowerMac is overkill for my needs. It sure would be nice to see, but I doubt Apple will do it... :cool:

Comment

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
nagromme said:
My intention: to wait for 3Ghz+ Xeon, which sounds like it should only be a few months later. That's also time for a few little tweaks to be made if necessary, giving me something between a version A and version B machine.

That's a really good plan. Wait a few months, let the bugs get ironed out of the new Intel PowerMacs, and then buy something for the same price with better technology.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
intersting that the price differences are quite large. I was also hoping for an all-quad line up and a case redesign. I've never liked the look of the G5.

Arn/powers that be - can you tell us whether or not you consider this source to be reliable? Have you ever heard from them in the past?

Comment

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
~Shard~ said:
If true, these definitely would be powerful machines, however for people like myself, the power and resulting price tag will be simply too much to justify. Leave the Xeons for the PowerMacs, but introduce some mini-tower machines with Conroe chips - they would fit nicely between the iMac and PowerMac. For me, the Mac mini isn't enough, the iMac is great, however non-upgradeable. I'd like something upgradeable, where I could replace/upgrade HDDs, optical drives, and most importantly the display - yet a PowerMac is overkill for my needs. It sure would be nice to see, but I doubt Apple will do it... :cool:

Well said, I agree with you. Apple, IMHO, needs an "inbetween" machine for upgradablity. This would shorten the gap between consmumer and prosumer.

Comment

gregarious119

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Reading, PA
Only 512MB?

To charge $1800 for a system that only has 512MB is a real disappoitment. 1GB RAM oughta be standard, especially with Leopard being on the horizon.

Unless the Xeon is that expensive (which I can't see how it would be), I don't see that as anything except creating some seperation between the configurations.

Comment

OhEsTen

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
No new case design wouldn't surprise me...

I figured Apple didn't change the cases for the powerbooks (MBP) MacBook's and mini's and iMac's for a reason...

It reminds people that nothing has really changed about them other than their brains (which is a big deal for sure - it just keep people from thinking Apple's going out of business...)

I remember when Apple made their announcement a year ago about the Intel switch - Macworld running an article about "what it all means" and "is this death for Apple?" - some people were a bit freaked out (which was completely understandable from the netburst point of view) - but keeping the same enclosures for the first round of intel boxes helps people not freak out.... maybe.

Comment

avkills

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2002
Man if they put the power supply on the top that would just be insanely stupid. 2 Optical drives is fine by me, although I am good with just one. But the post above about a Blu-Ray drive would make having 2 logical, one is Blue-ray, other is DVD/CD +/- RW.

-mark

Comment

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
~Shard~ said:
... and the other one HD-DVD! :eek: ;) :D

Doh! Well, again IMHO, it is my preference to have only one optical drive built in. I could always add an external later.

Comment

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
As usual though they come with 50% of the necessary RAM :rolleyes:, why Apple can't get this right I don't know.

Also I'm surprised the top model doesn't have Intel's fastest chip, surely Apple want to say they have the fastest possible computers?

Dual Optical drives is OK, good if you want to have a blu-ray drive as well I suppose...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.