Mac Pro update is taking so long becuase...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltimaLink, Jul 15, 2010.

1. UltimaLink macrumors regular

They're adding another mac to the desktop line.

This one will be called just "Mac" It will be a low end Mac Pro with a Dual Core, i3, i5, or i7 processor. The Mac Pros will have a small update with it, basically changing the insides(Making them more Superior to the Macs.) and maybe adding Blu-Ray. Really, the Mac line will be the iMac line, but in tower form so you can add storage and memory at will. There will also be parts for Macs and Mac Pros being sold so you can upgrade when you want.

You see, this will start a new era of Macs, if they do this and do it right, everyone will get one and stop using PCs.

Nah, I'm probably wrong. But it would be pretty cool if this happened.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The "xMac" has been beaten to death. That would mean the death of Mini, iMac and Mac Pro as people would buy xMac and upgrade it. It doesn't seem possible as Apple doesn't want people to hassle with the hard drive or other things. Also, it would weaken Apple's dictator as currently you buy the display, KB and mouse from Apple when buying iMac. With xMac, you could buy them from 3rd party for much less

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Are you REALLY so sure???

And, it will look like this:

[​IMG]

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiggght.

4. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

It would be cool if I was about to go to lunch if Halle Berry.

5. blinkfrog macrumors member

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

if apple is a mobile device company, then why are you trolling the mac pro forums?

7. Queso macrumors G4

Can't see it. Apple have gradually moved away from creating desktops towards portables, be they MacBooks or iPads. I can't see them confusing the remains of their desktop line with the introduction of a fourth model, however it is extremely likely that the MacPro will undergo some form of form factor redesign at next revision.

8. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

As long as it's as classically beautiful as the current Mac Pro case. I know many are sick of the seven year old design but I still think it's the best looking case going.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Never heard this theory before for many years now. :rolleyes:

10. blinkfrog macrumors member

I just stated that stationary computers isn't Apple's development vector by now.

11. mism macrumors member

12. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Buy one now. Unless the 5870 is something you want and you have enough cash to buy the 6 core processors...

13. mism macrumors member

I've read comments about the prices going up as well as staying the same, hard to really know.
    I'm buying to use largely with Cinema 4D so cores will make a difference, currently looking at:

Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core which is £2553.00 (or $3299.00)

What do we think a 12 core machine will cost? Then to add further confusion a six core machine with a faster clock speed, even at the same price as the current 8 core, may be a better option. It could mean similar total Ghz but better performance on one or two core operations.

14. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

They are waiting for the six-core CPUs and LightPeak to be available from Intel.

The last update was over a year ago except for a minor speed bump, you'd have to be dumb to buy one at this time.

15. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You should expect a 12 core system to at the very least be the same price as the 2.66GHz 8 core.

17. Queso macrumors G4

As long as it doesn't jump up on the sofa when I'm not there and knock all the cushions on the floor that's cool. Otherwise I just hope you can turn that feature off in System Preferences.

18. mism macrumors member

Cheers Umbongo. If that's right then it puts it at about £3700 which is roughly £1000 above what I want to pay.
    So sick of this, buy now and get an old, overpriced machine, but one that is tried and trusted and lets me get on with my work at a decent speed. Or wait, clinging on to rumours, in the hope of better value and a more up to date spec.

19. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

With the rumor on hardmac this morning, it would seem that maybe Apple was just waiting for a better usb 3 or firewire 1200 solution to include than what may have been available till now.

And as for that lightpeak comment above, that is late 2011 at the earliest, but more realistic for 2012 adoption.

20. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

end of summer exp 9/21/10, supports the other vague September rumors, but they go on to say a few weeks or a month after would be the imac update and use the word Autumn for that. What is Autumn considered to be? Sept/Oct? Then again "back to school" season that was mentioned is late August. I guessing it will be either first or second Tues in Sept. Anyway, at least we would get a new technology for the wait in usb 3 and faster firewire. It makes me feel a bit better about the delay rather than just a speed bump or extra cores.

21. eponym macrumors 6502

Um, you do realize that there's more desktop models now than there were 5 years ago, right?

They haven't moved away from anything. They've just expanded.

22. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

23. Queso macrumors G4

5 years ago? I'm commenting on the trend over nearly 20 years.

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

They could wait for the W3620 and W3640 to show up, and make all of the SP systems Hex core.

The problem with that is, they'd cut into the Octad (lower end DP systems). Remember, the SP parts are cheaper, and there's not a lot of software that can really utilize n cores. Photoshop for example, is still stuck to 2 cores.

To make the DP systems all Dodeca cores, the costs would be horrible, as those particular parts are quite expensive (Hex core with 2x QPI channels = DP part). So it's far more realistic to expect at least one, though I expect 2 (to keep the pricing within the current scale) be Octad systems. Intel realized this from the beginning, and offer both Hex and Quad core parts in the 32nm DP Xeon line.

As for LP, not going to happen, unless they skip 2010 all together. The reason is, the LP parts (components board makers need to produce goods), aren't even due to ship until the ass end of this year, and they need time to get their manufacturing facilities up and running (validation testing, production test runs,...). What this means is, LP won't show until 2011.

And that's assuming it doesn't end up late. :eek: :p

I've not seen any recent information of a delay for LP, so the parts are due out at the end of this year. Which means systems won't ship until next year (2011). 2012 would only become realistic if there's a significant delay in the parts becoming available to vendors (say Q3 or Q4 2011 before LP parts ship; basically a year behind).

2012 is significant for USB 3.0 being included in Intel chipsets though, as they've pushed this back to give LP a "leg up" IMO (allow it to get some traction in the market).