Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hardmac reports that Intel's new 6-core Core i7-980X is due to become widely available in March, leading to speculation that Apple may once again be able to gain early access to the new processors and release updated Mac Pro models as early as later this month.
The name of this hexacore CPU is now know, Core i7-980X, another cheaper (and slower) model should also be available, Core i7-970. According to difference sources, this new CPU should become available in March. So, if Apple and Intel are still engaged in a tight partnership, Apple might have the exclusivity of such CPU (as for the Nehalem Xeon) for a couple of days or weeks.
Hardmac has been keeping a close eye on upcoming Mac Pro revisions using the new processors, reporting in mid-October that Apple was likely to gain temporary exclusive access to the six-core processors as it did last year for the Nehalem Xeon processors. Preliminary performance numbers for the new high-end processor surfaced in late November, with additional technical details appearing soon after.

Article Link: Mac Pro Update With 6-Core Xeon Gulftown Processors Due Soon?

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I can't wait to see the specs but the reality is there's no way I'm going to buy this. My MP 3,1 2.8 Octocore is 2 years old an still screams. When I bought it, it was with a 5 year time horizon. Knowing Apple the cost for the 6 and 12 core versions will be insanely high.

Is it me, or did the first couple of MP revisions seem to have more value for the money?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Nice to actually have a pretty solid Mac-based rumor finally appear;)

I just picked up the Core i7 iMac, so I am no longer in the market for a Mac Pro, but I am very curious to see what they are going to do with it and if they will update the Cinema Displays.

thirdykal

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Great!
And what about the news all the people in the Arrendale thread want to know? Where are the MBP updates?

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
I can't wait to see the specs but the reality is there's no way I'm going to buy this. My MP 3,1 2.8 Octocore is 2 years old an still screams. When I bought it, it was with a 5 year time horizon. Knowing Apple the cost for the 6 and 12 core versions will be insanely high.

Is it me, or did the first couple of MP revisions seem to have more value for the money?

Totally. Especially in England where apple jacked up all their prices as the pound fell apart. A quad-core (complete with its 4 extra "imaginary" cores which are completely unrecognisable to nearly all software) costs more now than the true octo-core with similar clock did 2 years ago.

I think production costs have gone up worldwide in that time and that Intel is charging a lot more for these processors than they did for the first affordable quad-core xeons (not the exclusive they did for apple 10 months earlier since that was a $2500 add-on).

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
I'm all for the update, but I'll be more exciting when they rewrite all their software to utilize all those power. For goodness sake, my Mac Pro has only quad core with 6gb and I still haven't find any non-pro (even some pro) software that can use all that power....my meter always at 200-300% while it should be at 800% when I do heavy works....:mad:

Ports

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Bothell,WA
My first Mac!!!

I am very excited. I am going to make the jump (finally) to Mac with a New Mac Book Pro. :D

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iPhone, and Apple TV could all use an update ASAP. Cinema displays are in an entirely different category...

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
If moving from Xeon to Core i7, I hope Apple introduce a huge price decrease in the 2010 models. I doubt they will move away from workstation grade hardware though.

I know people depend on workstation hardware that the Mac Pro offers. Their only other choice is HP or IBM type workstations. However, the 2009 model of the Mac Pro is broken in too many ways, people cannot rely on it for mission critical systems, they have been trying to find 2008 versions.

2009 model, the only real upgrades you can make is hard drives and memory. Hard drive controllers/RAID cards are too flaky on the 2009 model, fibre channel likes to cause kernel panics, firewire has problems. 2007 model wont let you even install most newer hardware from Apple such as graphics cards or hard drive controller, so that is classed as legacy now.

Apple seem to have given up on innovation and developing a decent workstation since they moved to Intel. :(

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I guess I'll hold off on the new MBP until March (provided there is a new MBP before then)

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.