Mac Pro Waiter Personality Types

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GhostWhoWalks, Dec 11, 2007.

1. GhostWhoWalks macrumors newbie

I was wondering where the needs of the people lie who are waiting for new Mac Pros in January (or whenever). It seems the majority of people simply want an expandable tower vs a machine like the mac pro. So my question to the waiters is what category do your needs fall into?

A) I am a professional or do work that requires that kind of power.

B) The Mac Pro does not exactly fit into my budget and power needs, I would buy a well configured midline tower if one was available.

C) I am getting the best full size Mac I can afford for work efficiency and system longevity.

D) Other

This is all assuming the mythical Tower is available in January. Apple seems to have a hard time convincing many of the G4/G5 users that they should now adopt iMacs. Like a few people I think a full or mini tower would give this segment a place to go and maybe give video card makers a non workstation model for a wider range of their cards.

2. krypt macrumors newbie

I fall into A for the most part. I'm a software developer. Each core I have is time saved, and I use multiple (3) displays, which means I need something that has room for the extra video card.

3. newkeyboard macrumors regular

I'm in B... The poor imac screen is forcing me to a pro and cinema display (I'll wait for the update and then decide between that and an old imac).

4. dundonald macrumors member

I would say 80% C and 20% A.
    I use 2/3 screens too so require the extra room.
    I was on a few twin G5s but unfortunately I am staring at a lot of beach-balling on a twin G4 now.
    I can just about hold out until January but this is getting painful.

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Make mine C ... I want the RAM and hard disk expandability that the Mac Pro provides, but no, normally I wouldn't go around dropping anything like $2000+ on a desktop computer.

I expect this system to last at least 5 years or so, and I should be able to recoup at least some of it whenever it's time to get something new.

I want the Mac Pro badly, but everyone has said to wait because the new models should be 8 core for around the same price as the current models, so it would be stupid to buy now. If it's not announced at Macworld though, I'm not waiting any longer.

-Bryan

6. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

I'm on the A-Team..
    I want to see my video renders fly~~~~~!

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Category A for me, need more cores for faster video editing!

8. TripleCore macrumors regular

"A" for 3D rendering.

Hope the wait is not too much longer now...

9. Rowlander macrumors member

I´m more on the "A"-side than on "B".

Videoediting, HDV, encoding: The more cores the better. But I would at least be interested in a cheaper Core 2 Quad system.

10. KevinPlusPlus macrumors member

I would say 20% A, 30% B and 50% C. Storage capacity is also a factor. A mess of external drives really doesn't appeal to me much, and the Mac Pro is the only Mac system that can have more than one internal drive.

11. bigbird macrumors 6502

"A"- I do video editing for money and digital photography for a hobby.

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

A-Team... I am trying really hard to hold out for it. But I'm almost to a breaking point (as in my g5 is about to breakdown and die).

13. Masher500 macrumors member

Masher500

14. sdschwendener macrumors regular

I really fit into category C. While I will be using logic pro 8 a whole bunch I will not be doing it for pay so yes

I am getting this system because it has long life, quality, and depreciates VERY LITTLE

15. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

A - for video encoding. My current iMac is fast enough to do everything else, even the editing of the video, but blocking my Mac for 20+ hours for the MPEG-2 encoding of 100 minutes of video, not to mention H.264 encoding, just isn't going to work for me much longer.

- Martin

16. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

I'm in A. I need to do a lot of video editing in FCP and I realised that Motion 3 does not run very well in my G5 especially when using the HD templates that came along with it. I think it is more of a video card issue than anything else.

17. viltsu macrumors member

Maybe A or C. I´m a photographer (not a professional), and I like my system to have some power when I need it. I´m also long-time heavy-user in computer side, so I have right to have a pro machine. I hope you understand my poor english (I´m from Finland) ;)

18. HDproducer macrumors member

A all the way.

In fact the only reason I have time to visit these forums is because I am either rendering or encoding.

I usually do my encoding overnight, so that is not too bad. Motion 3 on a G5 is slooooow. I am waiting for a new graphics card to show up in the mail so I hope that helps.

My G5 is still a great computer, and I will still use it for off-line video editing and audio editing.

19. repeatpattern macrumors newbie

A - I'm a graphic designer currently waiting to switch over from PC hell. Waiting to get more bang for my buck (pound)

20. GhostWhoWalks thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like most responders are A types which makes sense considering the amount of mac people involved in video, graphic/multimedia pursuits. From conversation and forum postings I always thought there was a significant number wanting a powerful tower that was less costly to purchase and upgrade than a Mac Pro; like the image editing crowd who like their non glossy screens.

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I would fall under A and D. The other being a professional for a company that already has plenty of MacPros so I can get my freelance work done their rather easily and don't mind the wait. I would like to have one at my home though, with a new Cinema Display too.

22. Emerson macrumors member

Emerson

I am a C man, a amateur photographer who is willing to spend the money to get a machine that can last a good five years. I have a backlog of about 10,000 images that need to be sorted, converted (Nikon Capture NX) and run through Photoshop so I am ready and waiting to give a new mac pro workout.

Come on Steve don't disappoint me.

23. Graphis macrumors member

I'm mostly A, with a splash of C. I'm an Artist/Illustrator, and 3D features a lot in my work, although I output for 2D print rather than animation.
    I'm getting an 8 core MP in Jan, after MacWorld, regardless if it's updated or not.

24. fernmeister macrumors regular

A and C here. Music for pay, photos for play. The Mac Pro is one piece in a bigger upgrade/redesign situation for me.