Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
After working nicely for weeks, my Watch Unlock stopped working on my Mac Pro with updated BTLE card and Continuity patch. After turning it off and turning it back on, the system "cannot find the watch."

Another odd thing is that when it stopped working, it turned on automatic login on reboot!

I have tried the usual - reboots, PRAM reset, turning wireless off on both devices and back on.

My other systems work fine including and upgraded and patched MacBook Air mid 2011.

Give that many gigs of mail data is reset on logging out of the iCloud I really do not want to try that. Besides, it never solved anything before.

I am running 10.13.3 with the supplemental update.

Any ideas?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I reinstalled and upgraded to 10.13.3 - no change. So it was not related to OS upgrades.

Checked with BluetoothExplorer. The Mac sees the watch and can connect. Puzzling. Wish Apple documented this more.

I suspect iCloud furnishes a sanctioned UUID associated with the account which is cached. For this Mac it is not doing it for this watch or sending an old token. I see three other watches in the cache. Used to work and I suspect the token is lost. Will disassociate and reassociate the watch with my iPhone at the risk of not being able to (re)connect with my other systems.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Nothing I can help here. But for your info, I just test watch unlock with the latest 10.13.3 (17D102) on my cMP. It still works. So, the OS itself should be OK, and my BT card is the BCM943602CS. The system info looks like this.
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 14.28.10.jpg

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Unpaired and re-paired the watch. The MacBook Pro mid 2012 and MacBook Air mid 2011 (both with updated BTLE/WiFi cards) had to be re-enabled, but did that without trouble.
No dice on the Mac Pro, which has the same chipset in its updated card and runs the same version of the OS (latest shipping. As I mentioned, it does see the watch in the BT Explorer.
Darn, this worked nicely for so long. Also did PRAM and SMC resets. I guess I will try logging out of iCloud. But with mail this is such a PITA.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Another iteration. I had to unpair my Apple Watch from the iPhone and pair it again, because it had started to drain in record time. Normally I have 40% - 60% charge at the end of the day, not it did not make it through the day! This cleared the Watch Unlock.

My MacBook Pro set the unlock in an instant, but on my Mac Pro I got the spinning ball. Tried toggling Continuity and patching continuity with SIP enabled. No error, but Watch Unlock did not turn on. Continuity worked!

I disabled SIP and patched again and that solved the issue.

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.