Mac Pro won't turn on

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by odinsride, Nov 22, 2010.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

My Mac Pro no longer turns on after trying to perform the recent EFI firmware update. After installing it, the machine powered off. I turned it back on, and during boot, it abruptly turned off again. After this point I haven't been able to get it back on at all - no power light, no fans spinning up, nothing!

I called Apple support and did the following:

1. Tried another power cable
    2. Tried another outlet
    3. Tested the same outlet with another device
    4. Tried resetting the SMC by unplugging power cable and holding in power button for 20 seconds
    5. Opened up the case and made sure graphics card and memory were seated properly.

I have a genius bar appointment scheduled for Wednesday, but was wondering if there's anything else I can try in the meantime to avoid hauling this huge machine into the mall.... :(

Thanks!

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Well, if there is no sign of power running through the machine, and you have tried everything else, my guess is that the power source passed away. IMO there's not much to do until your support appointment - specially if your warranty or applecare are still valid. The only thing I can think of is to take out your hard drives and check that your data is safe - either by using another MP, a drive enclosure or adapter.

Good luck.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I came home from work today and plugged it back in and tried to boot up. To my surprise it came on! I'm going to reinstall the OS and see how it works out. Hopefully I won't have to lug it to the mall tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses...but I'm still baffled as to why it's behaving this way.

5. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

A reinstall wont fix it
    You have a bad Power Supply, which works on and off; you need a new one.

6. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I had this issue happen again. My mac pro would not turn on for about a week, so I just unplugged it and left it while i was away for vacation. I decided last night to plug it in and see if anything changed. I let it sit plugged in overnight, and this morning it booted up fine.

I was planning on taking it into the apple store this weekend, but now I have no issue to show them. How can I get Apple to replace my PSU if they can't replicate the problem?

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Just tell them about your issue. I don't think that they have to reproduce the error. My AASP never did when I told them what was wrong with my machines.

And maybe something will show up on the diagnostics utility. If they don't want to replace it, try another AASP if possible.

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Knowing apple they will fix it quickly they really are very good with repairs.

Just in case they don't print this thread out bring it in. it is a documentation of a reoccurring problem. tell them the truth. also let them know you will post what they decide to do on this thread. A lot of people read this site. I would also join the apple forum on apple. here is a link

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=190

start a thread on that site. be polite be patient let them know you will follow up on both sites until problem is fixed. if they do not want to fix it because they do not see the problem ask them for applecare on your machine. say you want it at a discount due to the inconvenience of bringing the heavy mac pro back and forth for repair.

below is the standard price for applecare

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC244LL/B?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY = 250

tell them you can get applecare for 143 see this link

http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MC244LL_SL_A/

better yet buy this apple care for 143 and tell apple that you will bring the pro in over and over for 3 years and write it up at this thread and the apple thread until they fix it. make sure to tell them it is nothing personal just business. Steve Jobs would understand. You can also email apple over and over and over until they fix it.

9. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Thanks for the replies. I'll play with it tonight and tomorrow night to see if I can reproduce the problem, and will take it to the genius bar this weekend.