Mac Pro - XP or Vista for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by crm114, Feb 25, 2008.

1. crm114 macrumors member

Just wondering if anyone has had either a really great time or a really bad time with either XP or Vista installtion?

I am ready to install it for using AutoCAD and 3DSMAX - and for gaming purposes (COD4)...

Thanks!

2. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

I installed Vista Ultimate 64 just two days ago, without the bootcamp directions, and I had no problems whatsoever (I would still recommend printing the instructions out just in case). Only problem I had was synching the wireless keyboard up w/ vista. Fixed that though. It's all pretty straight forward, it was for me, and this is my first mac.

3. TFT macrumors member

I am using XP.
    Crysis and Bioshock looks gorgeous in it, very fluid with all options on ay 1600x1200. Not sure when it gets busy in Crysis as I am still busy finishing Bioshock first.

4. crm114 thread starter macrumors member

THANKS.

also - please specify ...

XP 32

XP 64

Vista (64)

others?

thanks again!

5. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I was using XP Pro 32-bit, but it only shows 1.99GB of Ram. I know 32-bit doesn't show all that much, but I have a friend running XP Pro 32-bit as well, and his shows 3.25GB with 4GB in, so that is kind of lame.

I ended up getting a new hard drive so I took out the one with XP Pro 32-bit and installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit onto the new drive. I'd used Vista before and was expecting the worst, but once I took off User Account Control, it actually works fairly decently. I didn't think a couple of my old games would work (like Tribes Vengeance) but so far I haven't installed a game that doesn't work yet.

If you have 64-bit Vista, I'd probably go with that just so you get to address more memory. If you only have 32-bit of each OS, I'd go with XP.

Edit: This is on Early 2008 Mac Pro with Nvidia 8800 GT, 6 GB Ram

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

Vista has a huge overhead that really impacts games, you don't want to play games with Vista. I use Vista 32 with 3GB of Ballistix, and I get 400FPS in Halo PC with an old 8800GTS 640MB. Fraps won't go above 60 while recording.

On the exact same computer with XP, I get 500 FPS and have no trouble recording at 100FPS (Fraps maximum FPS).

Also, you want the 32 bit version of XP. It will only address 1.99GB because of a firmware issue, which won't be fixed. PC's can see 3.25 with 32 bit XP.

If you only have 4 GB of ram, I'd still say that you're better off with a 32 bit OS, because while the 64 bit can take more ram, you need at least 6GB before you start seeing a difference because everything has a 64 bit address instead of a 32 bit (everything is almost doubled in size).

7. MrPDaddyHimself macrumors regular

MrPDaddyHimself

Anyone tell me if I can partition my boot drive to run XP and Mac OS? I've been told because I'll have a RAID card that this is not possible. 4 TB HDD.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

May I narrow this question down...?

Vista Ultimate 32 bits or 64 bits for Mac Pro Octo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GT gaming?

Here the dilemma:
    Only 2 GB RAM "seen" by Vista Ultimate 32 bits (or does more RAM get used, but simply not shown...?), while 64 bits Vista will see all RAM...
    Or is 64 bits Vista less compatible with older games (Richard Burns Rally, Doom 3 etc.) than 32 bits Vista..?

Anyone tried?

9. m1stake macrumors 68000

10. crm114 thread starter macrumors member

based on what i have read so far (and a little research from other sties) i dont think i will do Vista at this time.

The overhead on Vista (twice as XP?) doesnt seem worth the end result. Now, i only have 2 gigs of ram at this point, but if you have 4 gigs, it might be worth it.

I am still interested in hearing about XP 32 bit or XP Pro 32 bit - BUT vista is still in the running....

11. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I would go 64-bit and see what happens. There is "Compatability mode" that might help some games if they don't work for some reason.

12. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I installed Parallels and then WinXP Pro (32) and had no problems. Running Windows along with the Mac at the same time is great. :)

13. Jonny427 macrumors regular

I use XP Pro 32-bit to play COD4 on max settings (save 2xAA) and it runs beautifully :)

14. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Don't try and install Vista on anything other than your primary drive. I tried for three days to install it on a secondary internal drive to no avail. I eventually went out and purchased XP Pro. Whatever version you buy make sure you get the one that supports dual CPUs (XP Pro or Vista Business and up).
    Crysis runs great with all settings on high at 1600x1200 but don't install update 1.1 as you will have problems with lockups on game saves in the later levels. I just unistalled and re-installed the game to get rid of the update as the game became unplayable.
    I run Architecture 2008 (AutoCAD Architectural Desktop) and it runs great.
    Good luck
    Alan

15. JonR356 macrumors member

This is down to a known issue with the Vista installer when multiple drives are present.

Pull the rest of your drives, place the windows drive in bay 1, install, then put your drives back to normal. All will then be well.

16. Just sayin... macrumors member

I set up a 32 GB FAT partition to run XP Pro SP2 on my 2.8X8/10GB/8800 system. True, I only see 2 GB of my RAM in Boot Camp (it does see all 8 cores), but I gotta tell you - Orange Box HL2 is absolutely fantastic @ 2560X1600 (or whatever the max is). Sounds, graphics, action, etc. are all 1st rate. BTW, I downloaded the latest/greatest drivers for everything, so the 8800GT is running as well as it can.

From where I sit, I can see no reason I need to load Vista. However, if I were into Crysis, I'd probably need more oomph.

17. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I'm sure most of you are aware, but i would like to clear up...

A 32-bit operating system cannot address more than ~3.2GB RAM thus it is not shown, or used. I dont know about the octo compatibility in Vista or XP 64, however i will be able to post results in a couple of weeks. I am currently, as you can see in my sig, running a quad core with 4GB RAM, on vista 64 business which runs every game i have tested seamlessly. I originally had this machine on 2GB RAM, and there has been a noticable performance increase since that point in time, so im sure boot camp would show similar results. If you want to use Vista, i highly recommend at least 4GB to run high-end applications, it's very resource heavy, much more so than XP.

I have not had many 64 bit compatibility issues, other than with the initial 2 to 4GB upgrade windows did not like. Several BSOD's which were cured in a knowledge-base update which you can find from a simple google-ing. Crysis with directX 10 is incredible.

Drivers can also be an issue, but you must search the individual devices.

Hope this has helped someone.

18. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

I installed it to my third HDD without any problems, while having xp sp3 on my second HDD.

19. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I installed XP Pro 32 and got a whopping 75 FPS in COD4 on my new Mac Pro with the 8800 GT. I had the game on 1600 by 1200 with everything on high and
    AF set t0 16X and AA set to 16X! Finished this great game and not close to being finished Crysis! Love my Mac Pro. Install XP!!!:)

20. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

XP 32 or Vista 64. Dont use Vista 32 for games, XP 64 is garbage.

Currently you will get better FPS on XP, but Vista 64 is very very close and in most cases there wont be a big enough difference to matter. New drivers have allowed Vista 32 to catch up quite a bit but the difference of 8-5fps can be pretty big.

If you dont have a copy of either and are planning on buying it then get Vista, DX10 will be playing a major roll later this year and it would be stupid to ignore it. You can get any copy of Vista and order a 64bit DVD from MS for $10 or just download the iso from a torrent site, you will use the same serial you got with the 32bit version to activate it so how you acquire the disc doesnt matter.

Look up some RECENT benchmarks of vista vs XP and youll find that vista64 is extremely close to XP now, usually only 2 or 3 FPS slower or exactly the same. The majority of benchmarks online will be from early 2007 when drivers were really crappy, gaming in vista is nothing like that anymore.

21. crm114 thread starter macrumors member

THANKS EVERYONE - THIS IS VERY HELPFUL!

any other comments anyone?

22. macguyca macrumors newbie

I have a great question, this all sounds awesome but what are we going to be saying about the Mac pro in one year from now when COD 4 Lame anyway but real graphic hungry games like Bio and Crysis become like Quake 3 and Unreal T3 and games need something a little faster and more efficient, will we be like the G5 owners and saying, if only I could run games like that, wow. Will apple continue to support cutting edge GPU's or will the Macpro become disposable and in the local paper for $1,500.00 dollars so we can buy the next retarded waste of cash...Sorry if I sound off but I have owned 4 iPods', 2 Imacs and yes a G5 and feel somewhat left in the cold. Yes I know about the apparent upgrade but a G5 does not support the fsb and new Processor chip so you still don't come even close. (sorry about the rambling sentences just in a hurry to leave)

23. crm114 thread starter macrumors member

you know - i see your point - but at some point (as someone said on another thread) you just have to pull the trigger and deal what is out there right now. I have been a big PC user since 93, when i switched from MACs, cause i got out of school and had to start using PC's for 3D and CAD (not that i wanted too, but most firms were not useing Macs at that time for anything but 2D graphics.

I am all about upgrades and tweaks - one can hope that the driver support and other issues (firmware etc), will be updated and handled more like Dell has to (but not like they do ;). The isssue though isnt any differnt than buyign any other tech - i cant play mp3's in my car - whne i got it that option wasmnt avail - it sucks cause i really want to - but i just end up making cd's.

I think your concern is a big one - i really feel the only other option is a PC gaming box - and I just cant go back at this point...

24. Jonny427 macrumors regular

I just want to reiterate again how beautiful COD4 is on my 23" cinema with max settings :)

I love this computer :apple:

25. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I pulled my drives but failed to put the HD in Bay 1 - I guess that is why it failed. I have another question. I installed XP Pro. If I upgrade to Vista will I have the same problem with multiple drives?
    Thanks
    Alan