Mac router/access point/gateway/... software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nelly22, Sep 29, 2009.

1. nelly22 macrumors 6502

Are there any Mac software, which controls router/access point/gateway/....

I hate to use web browser to change router... settings.

If there is such software, then i'm planning to buy hardware, which is compatible with it.

Thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Apple's Airport Base Station or Time Capsule are configured using a stand-alone application (Airport Utility).

I'm not aware of others, but I've always been satisfied with the browser interfaces when I need them (I've installed Linksys, Airlink, and the like). That said, I only have Apple base stations in my own house ;).

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no Mac software. The devices you mention all use a web browser to interact with the device. This provides a platform free method of maintaining the router. You can update a router's rules in linux, osx, or windows this way.

The only exception is apple's airport basestation. You need to use their software, which they also provide a windows client for as well. If you're on linux, you're out of luck though.

4. nelly22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for info.

I'm now looking for *cheap* AirPort Base Station type of thing. My Mac connects to it using ethernet or AirPort and it then connects to local free wifi network.

So i think it needs to be wireless client?