Mac Sales Remain Flat in July, 5% Year Over Year Drop Expected for September Quarter

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 19, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's Mac sales continue to come in flat year over year, according to a new report from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster who looked at July data from market research firm NPD.

Based on the data, he maintains his outlook of a 5% year over year drop in Mac sales for the September quarter and continues to note that Mac sales are becoming less significant in light of iPhone and iPad sales, representing just 15% of Apple's total revenue.

[​IMG]
    As with his previous reports, Munster notes that it remains difficult to extrapolate NPD data to Apple's global sales performance, but he views the July data as "neutral to slight positive," down from slightly negative in a June report.
    As for iPods, Munster's analysis of NPD data suggests that units are down 41% year over year on a global basis and that iPods will remain down 20% year over year for the September quarter. Because iPods now represent just 2% of all Apple's revenue, the overall impact of this sales decline is minor.

Article Link: Mac Sales Remain Flat in July, 5% Year Over Year Drop Expected for September Quarter

2. ilmman macrumors member

i need a mac.. called ratus.. hes the leader of the bunch!

3. 3282868 macrumors 603

Shocking. Love my iPhone, but you'd think it was Apple's only product.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Wait, you mean NOT updating computer equipment is BAD for sales? WOW!! I hope someone informs the folks at Apple. It seems that they are too busy focusing on the consumer portable division to even notice the Macs are not getting updated.

5. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

6. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

7. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Not a surprise - with mobile devices cannibalizing the entire desktop market (mac, PC, everything) a flat or slightly negative growth is a good thing compared to what some of these companies are going through. I feel kinda bad for the dells of the world.

8. JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

Yeah this was to be expected. Especially considering Apple have only released new MacBook Air's this year out of their entire Mac line. Things will change after sep/oct. There's a lot of people holding out for the new Mac's. I personally can't wait to get my hands on a brand spanking new Haswell 15" rMBP! Will be the first Mac I have bought since my 2011 MacBook Air. Wooo!

9. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Actually in the current PC market flat sales is pretty damn impressive I woudl have thought.

That said - updates dammit!!!!!:mad:

10. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Just seems to be a trend as tablets become more capable.

11. Alumeenium macrumors regular

none of these except the Air have been updated in Ages...

its all gold iPhones and divisive iOS7

even the mac mini pro is still not out yet :mad:

at least iCahn's investing in the stock now, thats a positive sign (never)

12. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

While I won't disagree. Apple hasn't really come out with a compelling desktop/imac update in a while. Even their laptop line seems a little stale.

13. pondosinatra macrumors 6502

Of course it doesn't help that websites that used to devote their time to Mac news now focus non-stop on 'someone in China posted a picture of the packaging that a button that fits on an iphone' type stories... :rolleyes:

14. eddystrasser macrumors newbie

15. slrandall macrumors 6502

No we don't.

16. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I'm assuming this isn't unique to the Mac? Lets see what the December quarter is when most likely Haswell Pros will have been released.

17. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Wow my wife and I bucked the trend, we bought our first macs in years a couple of months ago.

BTW, the Haswell Macbook Air is impressive.

18. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The "NEW" Mac Pro will be Apple's hottest selling product in a very short while. The brainwashing program is already in full-effect at movie theatres nationwide, and every 12 year old kid going back to school is begging to get one...

I had a PowerMac 9500 when I was 12, I know. I KNOW!

19. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

For my work, I can't imagine using anything but my laptop, having a full keyboard and big screen is a must. I agree, it seemed to take them forever to come out with a quad core laptop, and the retina display doesn't seem that much of an enhancement. For me, their max memory is always a bit low :)

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This is what happens when you do not update your desktop and notebook line. Haswell is nearing 3 months old now on the retail market.

21. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

It is the lack of updates and the total lack of advertising ( when was the last time you saw a Mac advert? ) which is contributing to the fall. I love my Macbook and considered getting an iPad instead but realised that my MPB gives me so much more that I would miss out on!

22. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

People don't need new computers as often as they once did. Who really cares if your pc finishes spell check in half a second or a quarter of a second. Add in the fact that macs last a long time (my MacBook is over seven years old now) and the update cycle isn't the old two or three years like it used to be. That said, my seven year-old Mac will be replaced with a new laptop by the end of this year... Maybe.

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

How many PC makers are currently shipping Haswell notebooks and desktops?

24. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

They focus on the details surrounding the rumors of a 3rd party sourcing parts for an unrecognizable iPhone 5ZGS? surfacing in a remote fishing village of mainland China by Huan-Zi-Li-Yo-Chen-Zhen of MacinTechiPhone5SRumors that was rumored to be the source of said photos of said rumored prototype parts for said rumored prototype phone. But MacRumors could not verify any of the information.