Mac Shipments Down in Q4 2019 Amid Overall PC Market Growth

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's worldwide Mac shipments were down in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to new PC shipping estimates shared this afternoon by Gartner.

Apple shipped an estimated 5.26 million Macs during the quarter, down from 5.43 million in the year-ago quarter, a decline of three percent.

Gartner's Preliminary Worldwide PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q19 (Thousands of Units)​

Apple's market share was also down, dipping from 7.9 percent in Q4 2018 to 7.5 percent in Q4 2019. The drop in Apple's shipments comes as the overall PC market saw growth for the first time since 2011, driven by demands for Windows 10 upgrades.

Apple maintained its position as the number four PC vendor in the world, trailing behind Lenovo, HP, and Dell, all of which saw year-over-year growth.

Lenovo was the top PC vendor with 17.5 million shipments and 24.8 percent market share, followed by HP with 16.1 million shipments and 22.8 percent market share and Dell with 12.1 million PCs shipped and 17.2 percent market share.

Asus and Acer came in after Apple with around four million PCs shipped each and 5.8 and 5.7 percent market share, respectively. Aside from a small drop in Asus shipments, Apple was the only major PC vendor to see Q4 2019 shipments fall.

Apple's Market Share Trend: 1Q06-4Q19 (Gartner)​

Apple fared a bit better in the United States, with shipments that were about stagnant. Apple shipped 2.13 million Macs in the U.S., up 0.8 percent from the 2.11 million that it shipped in the fourth quarter of 2018. Apple is the number four vendor in the U.S., coming in after HP, Dell, and Lenovo, with Microsoft coming in behind Apple. Overall U.S. PC shipments were also up 4.6 percent year over year.

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q19(Thousands of Units)​

For all of 2019, Apple's worldwide Mac shipments were down 0.9 percent, with Apple shipping an estimated 18.4 million Macs during the year compared to 18.5 million in 2018. Apple's overall 2019 market share came in at 7 percent, with Apple securing the number four spot after Lenovo (63 million PCs shipped), HP (58 million PCs shipped), and Dell (44 million PCs shipped).

Gartner's Preliminary Worldwide PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2019 (Thousands of Units)​

In the future, Gartner believes the PC market will continue to decline, despite the growth this year, though new technologies like foldable PCs are "something to keep an eye on."
Product innovation is one of the key factors that will enable the overall PC market to maintain sustainable growth. We've already started to see this through the 'foldable laptops' introduced at CES this past week along with initiatives that make PCs as easy as smartphones by allowing users to always be connected and ensuring a worry-free battery life. Such innovations that change user behavior and create new product segments are something to keep an eye on in 2020 and beyond,
IDC also released its own shipment estimates this afternoon, noting a similar decline in sales from Apple. IDC's data suggests Apple shipped 4.72 million Macs in Q4 2019, down from 4.98 million in the year-ago quarter.

IDC also notes the same decline in total 2019 shipments compared to 2018, suggesting Apple shipped an estimated 17.7 million Macs during the year, down from 18 million in 2018.

It's important to note that data from Gartner and IDC is estimated and not reflective of Apple's sales, though historically, it has not been far off. We used to be able to check estimated shipment data when Apple provided quarterly earnings releases with actual Mac sales information, but Apple no longer breaks out unit sales for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, making it impossible to determine exact sales numbers.

Apple's sales were down in 2019 despite the release of multiple new MacBook models, including the new 16-inch MacBook Pro, and the new Mac Pro. It's not yet clear what Apple is planning for 2020, but thus far we haven't heard rumors of Mac upgrades that suggest a significant boost in sales is on the horizon.

Article Link: Mac Shipments Down in Q4 2019 Amid Overall PC Market Growth

ph001bi

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2015
London

Apple's worldwide Mac shipments were down in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to new PC shipping estimates shared this afternoon by Gartner.

Apple shipped an estimated 5.26 million Macs during the quarter, down from 5.43 million in the year-ago quarter, a decline of three percent.

Gartner's Preliminary Worldwide PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q19 (Thousands of Units)

Apple's market share was also down, dipping from 7.9 percent in Q4 2018 to 7.5 percent in Q4 2019. The drop in Apple's shipments comes as the overall PC market saw growth for the first time since 2011, driven by demands for Windows 10 upgrades.

Apple maintained its position as the number four PC vendor in the world, trailing behind Lenovo, HP, and Dell, all of which saw year-over-year growth.

Lenovo was the top PC vendor with 17.5 million shipments and 24.8 percent market share, followed by HP with 16.1 million shipments and 22.8 percent market share and Dell with 12.1 million PCs shipped and 17.2 percent market share.

Asus and Acer came in after Apple with around four million PCs shipped each and 5.8 and 5.7 percent market share, respectively. Aside from a small drop in Asus shipments, Apple was the only major PC vendor to see Q4 2019 shipments fall.

Apple's Market Share Trend: 1Q06-4Q19 (Gartner)

Apple fared a bit better in the United States, with shipments that were about stagnant. Apple shipped 2.13 million Macs in the U.S., up 0.8 percent from the 2.11 million that it shipped in the fourth quarter of 2018. Apple is the number four vendor in the U.S., coming in after HP, Dell, and Lenovo, with Microsoft coming in behind Apple. Overall U.S. PC shipments were also up 4.6 percent year over year.

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 4Q19(Thousands of Units)

For all of 2019, Apple's worldwide Mac shipments were down 0.9 percent, with Apple shipping an estimated 18.4 million Macs during the year compared to 18.5 million in 2018. Apple's overall 2019 market share came in at 7 percent, with Apple securing the number four spot after Lenovo (63 million PCs shipped), HP (58 million PCs shipped), and Dell (44 million PCs shipped).

Gartner's Preliminary Worldwide PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2019 (Thousands of Units)

In the future, Gartner believes the PC market will continue to decline, despite the growth this year, though new technologies like foldable PCs are "something to keep an eye on."IDC also released its own shipment estimates this afternoon, noting a similar decline in sales from Apple. IDC's data suggests Apple shipped 4.72 million Macs in Q4 2019, down from 4.98 million in the year-ago quarter.

IDC also notes the same decline in total 2019 shipments compared to 2018, suggesting Apple shipped an estimated 17.7 million Macs during the year, down from 18 million in 2018.

It's important to note that data from Gartner and IDC is estimated and not reflective of Apple's sales, though historically, it has not been far off. We used to be able to check estimated shipment data when Apple provided quarterly earnings releases with actual Mac sales information, but Apple no longer breaks out unit sales for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, making it impossible to determine exact sales numbers.

Apple's sales were down in 2019 despite the release of multiple new MacBook models, including the new 16-inch MacBook Pro, and the new Mac Pro. It's not yet clear what Apple is planning for 2020, but thus far we haven't heard rumors of Mac upgrades that suggest a significant boost in sales is on the horizon.

Article Link: Mac Shipments Down in Q4 2019 Amid Overall PC Market Growth
I miss the days when Apple released sales figures. At least we could have a good laugh at those idiots expense once a quarter. Now we no longer can call their BS.

xnu

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Nothing compelling other than the MacPro and MacBook Pro 16 higher end models. Hopefully 2020 will be a year for updates to the other computers.

Apple always seems to be two years behind in their hardware offerings. It took years to redesign the MacPro. And we just read it took 10 months to produce the original iPod, those were the fast and furious days.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good. It's about time Apple's arrogance and complacency caught up with them.
They have already been emerging from their "lagging hardware releases" lately. Let's hope that they ramp it up further while also keeping the product lineup clean.

I don't think it was so much about arrogance, but I think they were going though a transition at the company level (new campus, changes in leadership, etc.). With that behind us, I expect product releases to return to a regular schedule. I'd like to see new "bumps" every 6 months.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
The vast majority of the several million folks that don’t want a Windows or Linux PC realize they don’t need a Mac to do what meager things they need to do. Add in the fact that an iPad has the option to be “always on” the internet on some unlimited data plan, and you’ve got a combination of the right features with the right connectivity at the right price that a Mac can’t touch.

Mainly because Apple’s not likely to build mobile networking into their mobile Macs and they won’t likely ever sell a Mac for as little as they sell iPads.
- - Post merged: - -

This is all according to Steve’s PostPC plan.
The Plan!

smulji

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
The vast majority of the several million folks that don’t want a Windows or Linux PC realize they don’t need a Mac to do what meager things they need to do. Add in the fact that an iPad has the option to be “always on” the internet on some unlimited data plan, and you’ve got a combination of the right features with the right connectivity at the right price that a Mac can’t touch.

Mainly because Apple’s not likely to build mobile networking into their mobile Macs and they won’t likely ever sell a Mac for as little as they sell iPads.
- - Post merged: - -

This is all according to Steve’s PostPC plan.
The Plan!
To me, this represents what the future of tablets will be

ghanwani

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2008
I don't think Apple measures its performance by number of units sold annually. And I think that is better for the environment and for its customers.

The meaningful number is macOS & iOS adoption. If that drops, then perhaps that is something for Apple to be concerned about.

canopic

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
I get by with my late 2013 macbook pro, stunning machine for it's time, but I'm in the market for a new Mac of some sort for a few years now, but almost everything is either not compelling or overpriced (maybe for overpriced I should instead say, not for me).

Lets see, what to get, what to get...
  • A laptop with an effectively long proven broken keyboard
  • A Macbook Pro 16 (great machine, not too crazily priced, well done Apple, just not for me).
  • An iMac with a bezels from 2012, and not-great noisy cooling solution. (non-upgradable HDD on the 21 inch models by default, yuck)
  • A Mac Pro setup that costs as much as a car
  • An iMac pro that looks awesome in every way but bezel size, but costs almost as much as a second hand car.
  • A mac mini with an onboard GPU that won't drive a 5k screen well at all, and can't even run basic Apple arcade games well and feels incredibly hot to the touch even in Apple store under 0 load. I'm also reading that it has a lot of little niggly problems with bluetooth range and the like.
  • A mac mini with a blackmagic eGPU that costs as much as a similarly spec'd iMac, but with no screen.
  • A mac mini with an non-blackmagic eGPU that doesn't drive a 5k monitor because it's not thunderbolt. (and bonus, the 4k 27" monitors it can drive don't scale well to MacOS)
I hope they update the iMac (bezels and iMac Pro cooling solution), and the rest of the laptop lineup with non-butterfly this year asap.

(Edited to be less snotty)

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If Gartner is right about the 5.26 million, and IDC is wrong about 4.72 million, it paints a different picture. Then IDC would be reporting a 5.6% increase over their 4.98 million 4Q2018 figure.

These numbers are just guesses, since neither Gartner nor IDC knows what Apple’s sales are through their 500+ retail stores.

I’ll wait for the financials to be released in early Feb. to see how Mac sales are doing.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
To me, this represents what the future of tablets will be
Gartner has been saying for awhile that the future will belong to the ultraportables mobile devices. Fewer people NEED to have something that only sits at home, so I think we’re going to see a lot of creativity in that market, not just like this, but in ways that are currently unforeseen.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Doesn’t surprise me at all. The top makers of Windows laptops are building incredible machines now that are full of innovative features that are actually useful. They also offer multiple, reasonably-priced display and accessory options. I’ve been a Mac user for years, but I’m currently finding it difficult to justify a Mac purchase.

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009

IDC's data suggests Apple shipped 4.72 million Macs in Q4 2019, down from 4.98 million in the year-ago quarter.
Q4 2018 Apple introduces new Mac Mini and MBA Retina. Two $800-1500 ranged products (yes BTO go higher but that is the 'meat' of the offerings. ).

Q4 2019 Apple introduces far more expensive MBP 16" (late) and extra expensive from previous Mac pricing MP and XDR . $12K to get both of the latter.

Sales sag in countries where the dollar is expensive (and hence these two new systems are relatively even more expensive ) . Bottom end MBA falls away so entry price increase there too ( as inventory stocks wind down on discounted model into Q4). Higher prices and less volume. Nobody at Apple should be "shocked". They did this to themselves.

Thrown on top the likely modest stall in MBP 13" while await improved keyboard there also. And all of this looks rather not surprising at all. Lots of warmed over stuff in the product line that is 2018-ish and sad saga on the keyboard drags on for most of the laptop line up.

Reactions: heffsf and Lazy

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
I'm curious to see the story that the earnings actually tell. From what I've heard, the Mac Pro has been a surprisingly well-selling machine. And with the margins off that computer, I'm sure their gross profits in the Mac line did well. The 16-inch MacBook Pro has also seemingly satisfied its market. Their best selling machine is the MacBook Air, and the 13-inch MacBook Pro, the iMac and iMac Pro are also all in need of a refresh, so I can see why their sales might be stagnant with all of those models. My personal guess is that they will have a March event or a round of press releases this spring that release refreshes to the Mac and iPad Pro lines

Reactions: Sykora171