MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Mac experienced momentous growth in the first quarter of this year, with shipments growing by 111.5% compared to the same time period last year, according to market data from IDC.

mac-mini-macbook-pro-macbook-air.jpg

The data shows that the whole PC industry grew year-over-year, despite the global health crisis and component shortages. In Q1 of the year, Apple shipped roughly 6.7 million Macs, representing 8% of the whole market. Just a year ago in the same time period, Apple shipped around 3.2 million computers.

idc-mac-shipments-q1-2021.png

Others such as Lenovo, HP, and Dell saw double-digit growth this quarter. However, Apple represented the most amount of growth. Ryan Reith, the vice president of IDC's Worldwide Mobile Device Tracker, says the industry has been hit due to ongoing component shortages but that the outlook remains positive.
The ongoing shortages in the semiconductor space only further prolong the ability for vendors to refill inventory and fulfill orders to customers. We believe a fundamental shift has occurred around the PC, which will result in a more positive outlook for years to follow.
Apple's performance this quarter follows significant growth in Q4 of last year, where thanks to new Apple silicon Macs, Apple saw a 31.3% increase in shipments compared to the same quarter a year prior.

In November, Apple released three brand new Macs powered by its own Apple silicon, driving sales amid work and learning from home procedures. Looking towards the coming months, Apple is expected to widen its lead in the PC industry thanks to the launch of redesigned MacBook Pros, iMacs, and more.

Update: Gartner has also shared its data for the first quarter of 2021, suggesting that Apple shipped an estimated 5.57 million Macs worldwide, up from the 3.75 million shipped in the year-ago quarter, marking growth of 48.6 percent.

In the U.S., Gartner believes Apple shipped just over 2 million Macs, up from 1.33 in the year-ago quarter for growth of 54.2 percent.

Article Link: Mac Shipments More Than Doubled in First Three Months of 2021 Compared to Same Period in 2020 [Updated]

Last edited:

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
I wonder if chip supply shortages will lead to limited edition models? How will they get around shipping less without raising prices on the ones they can?

Comment

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
M1 for sure.
But everyone in the industry did extremely well. Acer is almost right there with Apple at 75% growth.
Dell looks to have been the least improved with only25% YOY Dell actually lost marketshare YOY. From 19 to 15%. I would be worried if I owned Dell stock.

Last edited:
Comment

julesme

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
"The ongoing shortages in the semiconductor space only further prolong the ability for vendors to refill inventory and fulfill orders to customers"

I think he means inability

Comment

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Funny how updating tech products leads to better sales of those products, isn't it?

If only Apple had a CEO who had more interest in product than bottles of Pepsi with a 50 year old recipe.

Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Clearly the M1 has helped Apple break out of the Intel stalemate that was definitely hurting the Mac line overall. With new designs and likely the M2 this year, I see this trend continuing for Apple. I'd love one, but being iPadOS exclusive for 3 years, the pandemic has only pushed more of my business capabilities to the cloud, making it even easier to manage as is. I'd love a dual boot option on an iPad Pro though to get macOS access if ever needed - hoping this is close to a reality.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle
Comment

justduck

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2021
Not surprised, steered away from Macs all my life but right now, I'm very glad I went with an M1 MBA.. much, much better laptop than what's currently in my market right now.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle
Comment

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
In response to the ongoing component shortages Apple has decided to reduce the base Mac memory configuration from 8GB to 640KB.

• Haha
Reactions: 9927036
Comment

Smooch

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
My prediction would be variations of the M1 for this year’s Apple Silicon Macs. Probably too risky to move the higher end Macs to new CPU architecture. The M1 and its variants will probably be safer.
Mr. Cook stated Apple would take about two years to fully transition their lineup. I feel that would mean a higher end M2 for this year is inevitable.

I love the incentive for the personal computer market right now. Let's get it on, can't wait!
Hopefully this also leads to a (partial) recovery for the somewhat lost art that is great Mac software.

Comment

quarkysg

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2019
Mr. Cook stated Apple would take about two years to fully transition their lineup. I feel that would mean a higher end M2 for this year is inevitable.

I love the incentive for the personal computer market right now. Let's get it on, can't wait!
Hopefully this also leads to a (partial) recovery for the somewhat lost art that is great Mac software.
Two years from Nov 2020 should end by Nov 2022. I think the M1 architecture still have a lot left in the tank (more cores, faster memory, higher clocks etc.)

Well, I could be wrong. So let’s see. Exciting times for tech enthusiasts.

• Love
Reactions: Smooch
Comment

MisterK

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I'm thinking there will be a very significant uptick for iMacs this year too. A new M processor that doesn't need to make battery trade-offs, reported big form change for the first time in a decade, and newfound interest in desktops by folks who are no longer having to lug a computer around due to Work From Home. I know I've been holding out for one and intend on maxing out whatever iMac comes out next. I hope I'm right. I miss interesting desktops.

Comment

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I wonder what impact stimulus checks in the U.S. and elsewhere had on this.

Basically, how many people choose Windows-based laptops because that's what they prefer, and how many choose them because that's why they can afford?

If you need a new laptop and suddenly have a $1200 windfall, then I bet a Mac is super tempting.

Comment

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Two years from Nov 2020 should end by Nov 2022. I think the M1 architecture still have a lot left in the tank (more cores, faster memory, higher clocks etc.)

Well, I could be wrong. So let’s see. Exciting times for tech enthusiasts.

I'm curious how the naming convention will go.

Apple renumbers every iOS based chip, so it would make a lot of sense that the M series does the same. There's only ever one version of every chip (or perhaps two if the iPad is clocked differently).

But in the PowerPC days, the chips lasted for a couple of years and went through a series of iterations and performance improvements. The second-generation iMac, for example, went through several improvements over a two year period. Including almost doubling it's CPU clock speed (from 700MHz to 1.2GHz) and gaining all sorts of new features; and all of that was a "G4" CPU.

I'm banking on every single chip having a new number though, even if the improvements are pretty minor. I think we'll see a new Mx roughly every year.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.