Mac sleeps during transcoding...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by G.C. Jones, Jan 15, 2014.

1. G.C. Jones macrumors newbie

While transcoding video files with Roxio Toast Titanium, after a (variable) period of time Mac "sleeps", stopping the transcoding job -- unless I continually poke it awake. :mad:

Have had zero success keeping the job going by using Energy Saver in system preferences. :confused:

Anyone find an elegant solution to keeping the transcoding going all the way to the end? :)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. sjschall macrumors newbie

+1

I used to have the same issue running compressor. I think the problem was introduced with Lion and never addressed, so now a mac will sleep even when processes are happening. Caffeine is a good solution.

4. G.C. Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you for this info and confirmation....I've located the app, but have not yet had time to install it on the machine I use for video work.

Interesting that the sleeping-while-processing issue may have arisen in recent iterations of OS X....if so, might this issue be absent in "Snow Leopard"?

I ask because I would be interested in installing my old copy of SL on a separate boot drive, and then use that for transcoding......if it might be a more stable platform.

Thoughts, anyone?

:)

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's an application problem. The application needs to tell the OS from time to time that it is still busy doing useful work. For example, Handbrake doesn't have that problem at all.

6. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Have you configured Energy Saver in System Preferences?

Don't know about Mac, but on my rMBP I have it set to never sleep whilst the power adapter is plugged in.

7. G.C. Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

I used to have the same issue running compressor. I think the problem was introduced with Lion and never addressed, so now a mac will sleep even when processes are happening. Caffeine is a good solution.

So if the problem noted above is taking place with Compressor, one of Apple's own programs, is the conclusion that Compressor is not communicating to the OS about a batch job actively in progress? That would be weird.

The possibility exists that you are right, the apps are not communicating with the OS, while it is also possible that the OS, from Lion forward, is not checking the status of selected apps currently running. But I don't know that.

If "Caffeine" fixes the issue in my case, c'est bon!

8. sjschall macrumors newbie

I admit that I'm still running the older version of Compressor - not the most recent one from the App store. Perhaps it isn't updated to let the Mac know when it's active. Here's an older thread that seems to confirm the issue, and also suggests caffeine. I agree though, weird issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1415661.html

9. G.C. Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thanks for the link!

10. Buehrens macrumors newbie

Prevent App Nap

If you are running Mavericks, go into the Applications folder and right click on the application that is going to sleep. Put a check on the box "Prevent App Nap".