Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In addition to the Logic Pro & Logic Express releases today, Apple has also increased the storage space for subscribers of .mac accounts to 250 MB. The user-defineable space is combined between the .mac mail, and the user's iDisk, with the defaults set for 125 MB each. Current member benefits for .mac subscribers can be found on Apple's website.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Nice. Now maybe some day they'll get it up to 1GB...

I'm happy. :)

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
It's nice that Apple increased the storage space, but I don't think they increased it enough. I didn't subscribe to .Mac before because I didn't think it was worth it, and this storage increase hasn't changed my mind.

One thing that I did think was nice about the storage increase is that you can decide how you want to divide it between your email box and your iDisk. So if you don't need much email space, but need to store more files, you can up your iDisk and have a small inbox. But, if you don't really use your iDisk, and you can devote your entire 250MB to email.

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
1 Gig avail for $49

This does have 1 Gig, so you can hand over those CC# to apple again :) I was going to go to gmail, but then after using it, I like mac mail better. But I still wasn't going to renew because the small amount of disk space avail.

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
Not a lot more, but it's a start...

First post in a long time... I think it's great that Apple has finally decided to get their act together and up the storage. It's not great, but for the functionality you get with iDisk and the integration with the OS it's definitely a better combo now with more storage. I agree more storage would be better, but I'm willing to forgo a little space for the enhanced functionality.

- Reaper

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Disk space gets cheaper over time, so you'd expect storage to increase over time. For Apple and other e-mail services, they raise the amount of space you get for the same price, rather than lowering the price for the same storage. Big jumps in storage space came in response to Google's Gmail service, but every e-mail service would be expected to increase storage space now and then in any case.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
What's the deal ... 1 GB is what the competitors are giving away, so apple should be competitive. Apple does offer a little more than just an email service, but giving 1/4 less than gmail is not right.

I would have no complains about 500MB and be super happey with 1GB.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
an improvement

What I like is that I can give iDisk most of the 250MB since I have several emails accounts.

Still not enough storage for the price, but a move in the right direction. :D

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
macridah said:
What's the deal ... 1 GB is what the competitors are giving away, so apple should be competitive. Apple does offer a little more than just an email service, but giving 1/4 less than gmail is not right.

I would have no complains about 500MB and be super happey with 1GB.

As far as I know this argument is null. You can't compare G-Mail is .mac. Sure G-mail gives you a gig for email, but thats just it, email, the chances of you ever getting to use any substantial portion of that is nill. You can't use that gig as a HD as in .mac and you can't host your website with that gig. The point is, G-mail knows you cannot use the whole gig, its just not that doable with email. However if .mac offered 1 gig, most people would fill it, with files, and such.

Not that comparable, but at the same time you could say that by paying for .mac, you should be able to have a gig. that makes more sense.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
What Apple is chargin for .Mac they should increase the space to 5 GB with all the bells and whistles. Then people would be stoked.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Right, Doctor Q, (again, No Miss Q) ;) ... Storage becomes cheaper with the time, when .mac users become 1GB, Gmail will probably go to 2 GB.

IMO, a big plus of .mac is the mail at every single moment you want, no advertising, high efficient junk filter and it will become better as soon as Tiger comes... iDisk is part of the service, for me/us has worked just perfect to transfer files on the fly from work to home, share with people at the other side of the planet, now apple needs to hurry with a new iApp to edit the templates while offline ...

gskiser

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
.Mac is still a rip-off

.Mac is a pathetic joke. I cancelled when Apple started charging for it. I wouldn't have minded paying for it if it was competetive. They only gave you one email address, and charged you for additional addresses. Even with the 250MB storage now, its a joke.

Currently I have Comcast for my ISP. With them my price is $43, which includes a speed of 3000k download and 256 upload. Also they give me 7 email accounts, and 250MB online storage for each of the 7 accounts. That's 1.75 Gigs total.

What is Apple charging now anyway, $99/year? For $43, I get 7x what they offer, plus high speed internet access. Sure, I don't have the @mac.com email, or those stupid iCards, but who cares. Oh, I forgot their backup software. What can I back up on a mesely 250MB iDisk, and if I'm backing up on my external drive or DVD-R, why do I need .Mac? Its rather insulting that they think I'm that naive. Apple's .Mac program is a joke, at least thats my opinon. Feel free to disagree.

MacPhreak

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Lexington, KY
Excellent!

I know some folks dislike .mac, but it's a blessing for me. I can make web pages for my photos in a couple of clicks, I can sync all my Macs, and I've got a reliable NON-FREE email address (very important, since it's very unprofessional-looking to send professional emails from a free Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail account, not to mention the usernames...fanboy1283183@...yech).

My 2¢.

havok416

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2002
Toronto
A nice thought, but...

A couple of Photoshop files and some high resolution photos can take care of that 250MB in one shot. It's a nice gesture, but at $139 Canadian it's just not worth it in my opinion. Even the average home user can wipe that out with a hunderd or so photos on a few HomePages. If any of you know someone that's just had a baby, hunderds of photos is nothing! :p

MacPhreak

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Lexington, KY
gskiser said:
Currently I have Comcast for my ISP. With them my price is $43, which includes a speed of 3000k download and 256 upload. Also they give me 7 email accounts, and 250MB online storage for each of the 7 accounts. That's 1.75 Gigs total.

But that's $43 per MONTH, right? For a grand total of $516 per year. Vs $8.25 a month with .mac.

As always, my 2¢.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm certainly happy about this news. It's not something that would have influenced whether or not I renew (I was going to renew anyway even if this increase did not occur). I'll be devoting the majority of the space to my iDisk.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Anyway, i'm happy, I knew this was happening and thats why I renewed my subscription, i know there are cheaper options out there but i'm lazy to chase every deal going and the integration with iphoto for example is very nice to have.

Its worth it for me.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
wordmunger said:
If they had done this one month ago, I would still be a subscriber. Too late now, everything is already transferred to my new ISP.

Ditto. Just canceled this weekend. I tried .mac and it really didn't offer me anything compelling to justify the $100. Photo publishing? Wife uses snapfish. Email? got a couple of those already. Software discounts/freebies? Nothing really to get excited over. Backup? I don't really back up to CDs, I back up to two different computers. Storage? 250MB? No offense, but I can buy that in a KEYCHAIN.

Sorry Apple. I need something more.

Now if Apple could find some way to integrate it all, that could be compelling. Like a 1-stop shop for it all. As it is currently presented, .mac is a hodgepodge of different features, none of which really stand on their own.

-p-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.