Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Yeah, the M2 definitely still has the same high pitched "metallic" sound-profile as the M1 when the fans are going.

Fortunately it seems pretty tough to get the fans going so I don't really care.

When I'm actually doing work I'll probably have music on. The dealbreaker with the M1 was that I'd be reading documentation or browsing the internet late at night and have to hear EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE all the time.

Right now I'm installing macOS Sonoma and I can hear my light bulbs more than I can hear the studio.

Download the free version of Macs Fan control and force them to blow at max speed. You’ll know then 👍🏻

Incidentally my Max bought in November is silent and has no whine even when fans are up to 3500rpm.

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
Download the free version of Macs Fan control and force them to blow at max speed. You’ll know then 👍🏻

Incidentally my Max bought in November is silent and has no whine even when fans are up to 3500rpm.
I'm worried the studio is going to take off with the fans at 3500 rpm :p

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
From what we've seen, it does seem likely the whine is still there for some units (you can hear it in this video):

However, it will most likely only happen once the machine is being revved up rather than all the time. Not ideal, but I could live with that.
I'm glad I ordered a M2 Mini Pro!

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Why is that?

Edit: he bumped the audio by 12db which is basically tripling it.
Because I lived with an M1 Max Studio with a whine for over a year, I couldn't take it anymore. And it sounds like the M2 Studio might be prone to the same whine, and with my luck, I'd get one with the whine if I got a new studio. I was waiting for a clear redesign, didn't get it, so I downgraded, since there's no way I'd get the Mac Pro. It's not perfect for my needs, as I could only get it with 32G of RAM, but being able to tolerate it being near me is a huge plus.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Oh ok. I feel that there is a solution to any problem and also I feel that this M2 Studio will be improved but I understand that you didn't want the hassle so you sacrificed the performance in exchange for quieter machine. I'll wait for more reviews to see and then I'll probably test it myself. This is second generation so I expect slight improvements overall

Because I lived with an M1 Max Studio with a whine for over a year, I couldn't take it anymore. And it sounds like the M2 Studio might be prone to the same whine, and with my luck, I'd get one with the whine if I got a new studio. I was waiting for a clear redesign, didn't get it, so I downgraded, since there's no way I'd get the Mac Pro. It's not perfect for my needs, as I could only get it with 32G of RAM, but being able to tolerate it being near me is a huge plus.

Reactions: bobcomer

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Oh ok. I feel that there is a solution to any problem and also I feel that this M2 Studio will be improved but I understand that you didn't want the hassle so you sacrificed the performance in exchange for quieter machine. I'll wait for more reviews to see and then I'll probably test it myself. This is second generation so I expect slight improvements overall

You can test it within the 14 day return window and if it’s likely to have the issue, return it

Last edited:
Reactions: Freida

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
From what we've seen, it does seem likely the whine is still there for some units (you can hear it in this video):

However, it will most likely only happen once the machine is being revved up rather than all the time. Not ideal, but I could live with that.
That just sounds like air blowing through the holes as the fan has ramped up, not an electronic whine per se.

Reactions: ikir

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Well, the faint high frequency pitch sounds is there in the video. Its the same sounds that my radiator does sometimes which drives me insane too. So much that I had to change how the radiator works and I'm planning to replace them.

Don't have M1 Studio or M2 Studio yet but I can hear the noise. I would return it too if it was like that.

That just sounds like air blowing through the holes as the fan has ramped up, not an electronic whine per se.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Well, the faint high frequency pitch sounds is there in the video. Its the same sounds that my radiator does sometimes which drives me insane too. So much that I had to change how the radiator works and I'm planning to replace them.

Don't have M1 Studio or M2 Studio yet but I can hear the noise. I would return it too if it was like that.
OK I listened to it again...his clip is too short, but I think I hear the whine sound. It sounds like at the beginning when he has the mic to it like a high pitched beeeeeeeeeeeep, but then goes away before he cuts the clip.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
yeah, its a looooooong beep that is few seconds long and cuts just before the end.

As my radiator does the same I've noticed that its to do with electricity. When the current changes or is stable it does the beep. Extremely annoying so I had to wear noise cancelling headphones in the winter.

OK I listened to it again...his clip is too short, but I think I hear the whine sound. It sounds like at the beginning when he has the mic to it like a high pitched beeeeeeeeeeeep, but then goes away before he cuts the clip.

Reactions: Nismo73

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
I have the studio in my possession. It's a lot quieter than the previous one! I quickly tested for whine at higher speeds, but I couldn't get it to whine (yet). I'll go more in depth later on when it's a bit quieter, but the long and short of it is: I'm keeping it.

aizarged

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
I have the studio in my possession. It's a lot quieter than the previous one! I quickly tested for whine at higher speeds, but I couldn't get it to whine (yet). I'll go more in depth later on when it's a bit quieter, but the long and short of it is: I'm keeping it.
Please update us if you find anything.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Never had the M1 Studio, but just got the M2 Ultra. At least in non-taxing loads it seems really quiet. All good so far.

For reference I'm coming from a 2018 Intel MBP which was a jet taking off most of the time when doing anything that puts load on the machine.

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Are you able to tell us the speed of the fans? This would probably be a thing to rule out. My November 2022 Max has no whine, is silent and runs at 1330rpm. I do have 1000rpm and 1200rpm on standby but have never used it.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Are you able to tell us the speed of the fans? This would probably be a thing to rule out. My November 2022 Max has no whine, is silent and runs at 1330rpm. I do have 1000rpm and 1200rpm on standby but have never used it.

Mine are running around ~1000 rpm. Haven't changed anything, just downloaded Sensei to check the fan speed.

Hard to hear even when its on the desk.
1686765789119.png

Reactions: designerdave72

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I know. I just simply wanted to know if you meant that its silent for you unless you put your ear to the box or that you can hear it from sitting distance but its very very low

I mean, the difference between those will be subjective on so many levels, that your experience may differ from mine.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
I've completed analysing the Mac Studio M2 (Max base, 64tb), recorded on an RE20 studio mic.

Compared to the first generation:

1) It is significantly quieter - I can barely hear it at all in my quiet office.
2) I've detected no whine.

The last sonically great high performance desktop was the iMac Pro 2017, the M2 now takes it's crown and is even better than it was. Subjectively, the noise when the fans spin up is very pleasant. I'm happy to say I would definitely recommend this one if you've been on the fence.

Results and samples below:

The image below shows two tracks with individual y axis which shows a spectrogram from 0 - 19,000hz. The top track is the microphone directly facing into the airstream. The bottom, is off to the side.

The x axis spaces short audio clips taken at readings of 1000 (new idle), 1300 (previous idle), 1600, 2300 & 3500rpm.

You'll notice there's no whine around the 2.14Khz mark.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 20.04.33.png

Compare this with the old one where at 2.14Khz there was a distinct band, which was the whine.

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 21.57.45.png

Here are the samples that match with the images above.

Mac Studio Direct - The microphone is faced directly into the airstream (+several decibels so you can hear it)

Mac Studio Indirect - The microphone is not facing into the steam, it is very close by (+several decibels so you can hear it)

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I've completed analysing the Mac Studio M2 (Max base, 64tb), recorded on an RE20 studio mic.

Compared to the first generation:

1) It is significantly quieter - I can barely hear it at all in my quiet office.
2) I've detected no whine.

The last sonically great high performance desktop was the iMac Pro 2017, the M2 now takes it's crown and is even better than it was. Subjectively, the noise when the fans spin up is very pleasant. I'm happy to say I would definitely recommend this one if you've been on the fence.

Results and samples below:

The image below shows two tracks with individual y axis which shows a spectrogram from 0 - 19,000hz. The top track is the microphone directly facing into the airstream. The bottom, is off to the side.

The x axis spaces short audio clips taken at readings of 1000 (new idle), 1300 (previous idle), 1600, 2300 & 3500rpm.

You'll notice there's no whine around the 2.14Khz mark.

View attachment 2218110

Compare this with the old one where at 2.14Khz there was a distinct band, which was the whine.

View attachment 2218111

Here are the samples that match with the images above.

Mac Studio Direct - The microphone is faced directly into the airstream (+several decibels so you can hear it) View attachment 2218106

Mac Studio Indirect - The microphone is not facing into the steam, it is very close by (+several decibels so you can hear it)
View attachment 2218107
Nice analysis, thank you

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Luke Miani says his whines (when pushed) @ 40 secs in:

Let's be clear on the above, that is a traditional coil whine that you get under computation that varies in frequency.
The one most associated with the M1 Studio is a stable whine that doesn't vary in frequency (it's around 2.2Khz) which most of the annoyance has been with as it doesn't stop or doesn't appear to be related to the activity of the computer.

Coil whine=variable
M1 studio whine=stable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.