mac typing program for kindergarten?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mward333, Nov 14, 2009.

1. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

We are looking for a typing program on the Mac OS X platform for kindergarten-age children. I see the Type To Learn software products by Sunburst:
    http://ttl4.sunburst.com
    but they do not have a free trial of their platform for the youngest-age children, namely, Type To Learn Jr., which is Mac and Windows compatible.

[There is a free trial of the similarly-named "Type To Learn Jr. New Keys for Kids" but that program is only Vista compatible.]

Has anyone used Type To Learn Jr.? Or perhaps are there other programs that you recommend for kindergarten-age children who are wanting to learn how to type?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. macsrule25 macrumors newbie

macsrule25

uuummmm...

Ummmmmmm... I don't think most people can help you there. Actually, Type To Learn 3 is pretty good. It's more of a first-second, maybe third grade typing helper, but i would try that.

:apple:macsrule25:apple:

3. Middling macrumors regular

It's not a Mac-native application, but the BBC's free (flash-based) online typing tutor, Dance Mat Typing is designed for young children and seems to be well regarded.

4. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

Hi there macsrule25--thank you for your feedback. Have you tried the introductory levels of Type To Learn 3 with younger children, for instance, a child about 6 years old? I would be pleased to learn about your experience using this program with the youngest children.

5. mward333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mward333

Thank you, Middling! My child already LOVES those animals on the BBC website that you suggested. This is very helpful. Are there other similar websites? My child tends to master things on the computer quickly, despite his young age.... so I am looking for any resources that are available.

Again, thank you very much for this great BBC website! It is very colorful and happy and fun for the children... it seems to be a very positive experience so far.