Mac Vs. P.C. Convince someone today!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by habubauza, Mar 15, 2009.

1. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't even try. If they want the Sony and Windows, let them buy it. If they want a Mac with Mac OS X, let them buy it. Why waste time trying to convince anyone?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sony:
    Lower screen resolution, slower RAM, crap graphics, Vista.

MacBook Pro:
    OS X.

Argument made.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont give a damn what others get as their computer and certainly wont try and convince anyone, especially someone i dont know to get apple.

i do not get paid by apple so why should i promote their product is my thought

i also wouldnt convince anyone to spend an extra grand just for ***** and gigges (aka osx) when they could not care what os they use

5. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

- OS X
    - integrated graphics versus discrete card
    - better resolution - 1440x900
    - faster processor - starts at 2.4
    - faster bus -1066
    - multi-touch
    - Does Sony do dual screen - couldn't find that
    - weighs 1 lb less - significant if you are lugging
    - iLife

That's just a cursory glance.

6. Grimbo macrumors member

Haha this.

7. hailst0rm macrumors member

The Macbook would be more affordable wouldn't it?

Really though, the only way of convincing someone is to let them actually spend a decent amount of time with OSX. Even then it still might not be a big deal to them.

I'd recommend a Mac if someone asked my opinion but I really wouldn't be bothered trying to spend time convincing someone. Most the time I just get funny looks.

8. trip1ex macrumors 68000

9. drossad macrumors regular

The specs of that Sony are more comparable to a basic Macbook. The standard thing that you don't get on the Macbook is the Express Card slot. Although the Sony has the Blue-ray drive and the media card reader (which aren't even offered on a Mac), Macbooks have OS X and faster FSB (1066). So it really comes down to the buyers preferences.

10. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I'd tell them where the nearest Applestore was, and suggest they take a look, after all before spending money on a major purchase such as a new "high end" laptop from any company, it's the prudent thing to do.

Beyond that, I frankly couldn't care what they chose in the end. I like my MBP but I accept that they aren't for everyone just as I expect Windows users, or whatever, to accept that their choice isn't for everyone and not hassle me.

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I've seen a friend buy a Sony, because he didn't want to get a Mac. He spent last week trying to sort out problems with it.
    The other >6 in my course of a dozen or so are happy with their new MacBooks and MacBook Pros. He's getting Ubuntu on his as far as I can tell... We've had over 5 converts, and I've had lots of people ask about the virtual machines i've set up on a MacBook i'm using currently.

If money is something important to you, work out how important your time is, as a financial commodity per hour, then work out how many hours it would take to get a ROI on the extra investment. Then think how long you'd be taking with antivirus etc.

12. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

But is the extra 1k worth it? I doubt it. Especially if they know how to treat a computer well and keep it running properly. The Windows vs. Mac argument really won't carry as much weight once 7 is released, too. Why don't you buy the Sony and a refurb unibody Macbook once prices get a little lower if the current 1099 is too much. Okay, that might be a crazy idea but I really can't see Mac being a thousand dollars better.

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As already noted, it really doesn't take a MBP to equal that Sony. A basic MB with a RAM upgrade is pretty darn close if you don't care about BlueRay (and most people don't even know what BlueRay is.)

Secondly, among most IT professionals, Sony's laptops have a very poor reputation.

Really, it comes down to what your friend needs. If he needs Windows, I'd recommend looking at a Thinkpad. If he's willing to consider a change, a Macbook might be the way to go.

14. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

As others have pointed out, the processor and video capabilities are really more comparable to a Macbook, not a MBP.

But, if you want to compare to a MBP, in addition to what others have pointed out: the RAM in a MBP is DDR3, this has DDR2; I'm pretty sure it doesn't haven't an optical audio out option like the MBP; no firewire ports of any kind, not even 800; the video output is only VGA, at least with the MBP you have DisplayPort, which seems to really defeat the inclusion of a BR drive. The only way you're going to be playing those discs is on the built in monitor.

Throw in the use of better materials (glass and aluminum), switchable integrated/dedicated graphics, a faster processor with a better bus speed, built in software like iLife, and the option to easily (and legally) dual boot OS X and Windows, and I think the MBP easily justifies itself.

15. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

That's the reason I was curious. I have a friend who is in the market and year ago it would have been a no brainer. But not lately. To make matters worst they have a firewire camcorder. It's just that Apple's recent hardware decisions is taking more functionality out of their consumer level laptops. If you can't afford a Macbook Pro, what do you do:? What if you can only afford a unibody macbook?

According to Apple:

• Firewire = "screw you get rid of your firewire device
    • Blu Ray = "screw you, a bag of hurt"
    • SD Card slot = "what's that?"
    • Non glassy, washed out blacks display = "screw you, it looks nice"

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

there is the white macbook you know....

and yea sounds like hes better off with a pc tbh

17. Lucibelle macrumors member

Seeing as how the Sony's max. resolution is 1280 x 800, this only allows the Blu Ray to play back at 720 resolution. On a 15" screen, are you really going to see much of a hi-def difference? We have a Blu Ray player for our 65" Mitsubishi, and while Blu Ray disks look amazing, it makes DVDs look incredible as well. Knowing how good it can make DVDs look, I find it hard to think that you'd see that big of a difference on Sony's screen. Maybe I'm wrong. :confused:

18. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

The only problem I see is that the Sony isn't going to offer him Firewire either. Not unless I missed something in those specs.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

That Sony is a $500 laptop. Take a look at Dell's $500 laptop and compare it to the sony.
    if they must stick to a windows machine there are a lot of laptops out there for a $1000 that will bury they Sony.

Comparing the MBP to the POS Sony can't be done since one is a computer and the other a paper weight.

20. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

Yeah, you are right. The Sony isn't the best PC comparison. I just found that they really seem to load a lot more hardware on PC's compared to the Macs nowadays. And I'm also seeing a resurgence of firewire ports on PC's including this Sony.

21. sapota macrumors member

y cant ur friend buy dell. u can get great dell configs for 500 usd. run ubuntu or run windoze n ccleaner, defrag, etc etc. or simply buy white MB which are great values.

2 yr old dell or sony sells for less than 50% original cost. while macs retain 75% value. there must be a reason no??

22. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

I've heard that about Dells. I would recommend looking at that too. You know, I can't even believe this question has to be asked. I hope that in the future Apple not only stops stripping out their laptops but adds more functionality. I mean, look at the previous generation macbook. What if they had decided to keep the black macbooks and added an LED screen? Nvidia graphics? Backlit keyboards? They sort of did this with the white macbook but without the lighted keyboards. But what if the black macbook was still around with firewire, and the added features of the unibody macbook? Say instead of a slab of metal they decided to use a composite material? Stronger than metal yet lighter?

My whole point is that I find it hard to understand the stripping down of these new unibody macbooks.There is no doubt that OS X is the superior operating system or that macbooks have the best build quailty. But why mess it up by stripping it down and throwing a slab of glass on it? I don't understand.

23. OneBlueFire macrumors member

OneBlueFire

This is a direct answer to your question as to how to make someone choose Mac over a Windows based machine:

1. A Mac works out of the box without the need for too much configuration.

2. A Mac doesn't come with a zillion applications from Sony that you're never going to use.

3. A Mac is not as prone to viruses as Windows based machines.

4. A Mac has a higher resale value. ($1,000 Sony laptop can go down to $500 in just a little under a year, while it'll take about 3 years for an Apple product to depreciate that much)

5. A Mac and OSX were made for each other by the same company therefore almost eliminating compatibility problems between drivers and peripherals. Another up-side to this is that the OSX can maximize the hardware unlike Windows because the OSX architecture was made for the hardware architecture it comes with.

6. OSX doesn't have multiple flavors like Windows (Basic, Premium, Business, etc.).

7. Macs just look so damn awesome.

If those reasons aren't enough, tell him/her to check http://www.apple.com/getamac

You also asked about the new Unibodies being "stripped down"?

They're not... Before Apple releases a product or even begins to design a product, a thorough analysis of the market is made. What do MacBook users actually use on their machines? What do MacBook Pro users actually use on their machines? What features does the MacBook market really need and want? What about the MacBook Pro users?

There're a zillion questions they ask consumers and test groups before they actually begin developing a new product.

They didn't strip the Unibodies down. They removed the things that their respective markets didn't need or seldom use.

Another reason there're features on an MBP that aren't on an MB is because it stops the products from competing against each other. If an MB came with 2 video cards and Firewire and a better display, that would kill the MBP. They have to separate them by offering better features to their Pro line. They can't cannibalize the MBP for the sake of keeping the low-end user happy. Go pro if you want more than what the MB can offer.

24. habubauza thread starter macrumors regular

habubauza

That was one of the best, most coherent and well laid out arguments I have ever read. Nice job, and thanks.

25. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Wow... just... wow.

You were doing just fine with your seven points, then the fanboy RDF kicked in. The 2500+ post Firewire is missing from the new Macbooks thread(s) should be enough to dispel the "only Pros need Firewire" debate. If not, the upgrade to Firewire 800 on the mini and iMac should be. We don't know what the OP's friend's Firewire camcorder is used for. Suppose it is used for family videos, meaning no revenue is being generated. How is the OP supposed to look at him with a straight face and say "you need to buy a professional laptop for $1000 extra"? (I guess this impossible task is what the OP is asking for help with :cool: ) If the friend needs coaxing to get a Mac laptop, we can safely assume he does not have a Mac desktop to carry his Firewire connection requirement. MBP sales are being cannibalized anyway... by Sony and Dell and... Apple might as well get a piece of that action.

To the OP: as others have said, that Sony has specs almost identical to the white Macbook. Bigger screen, but same resolution. Same speed FSB and type of RAM. It does have BluRay, ExpressCard (34mm like Apple uses) and a memory card reader but can't run OS X. The Macbook has Nvidia integrated graphics instead of Intel and can run iLife. I find iMovie infinitely better to use than Windows Movie Maker, but my wife's parents swear by WMM. Windows itself isn't horrible enough to spend an extra $1000, but iMovie is good enough to spend the extra $150 or so a memory upgrade to the white Macbook would cost. You would spend most of that back on anti-virus and a decent video editor to use with Windows.