Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
hehe, these threads always become so funny to read.

Person A points out that PCs are less money

Person B says prove it

Person A provides example

Person B says oh they are not the same

Person A says close enough :)

Reality there is an Apple Tax. People should stop trying to say the computers are priced the same, they are not. IMHO you are paying the Apple Tax to get the hardware to work perfectly with the OS... and that is worth it.

Add that to your paper...

Optimouse^^

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
You are going to cite this thread, right?

The folks here are generous with their information, opinion and, in the case of the altogether humorous and pointed focus/honda comparison, analogies. I suspect they have already written a lot of **your** report for you.

You should link your report and let us know what feedback you received.

Optimouse^^

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
That is honorable of you :). Personally, I would cite this thread and CalBoy; I now refer to my MacBook as the "Honda Civic of computers". lol! I do think his framing the Mac in terms of automobiles will have a lot of "mileage" :D with the 12th grade crowd!

Good luck with it!

trust me i'm very appreciative and i will

thanks guys!!!

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
A big plus for me is Apple makes the hardware. Not so much the individual components (such as RAM and hard drives) but they assemble the computers themselves so the hardware works flawlessly with the operating system. Even Windows runs better on a Mac :)

Not trying to be an idiot but do you honestly believe that "even windows runs better on a mac" ? It wont run any differently than a similarly spec'd PC running windows.

Do you think the Mac Pro board based on the 5000X intel chipset is any different or somehow runs better because its got the apple branding than say any of the following boards?

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=43
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=299&l4=0&model=1563&modelmenu=1
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000X/X7DAE.cfm

There is really nothing magical about building a decent machine. Just use decent components in a good chassis with a good power supply and do a proper burn-in to weed out flaky parts.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
hehe, these threads always become so funny to read.

Person A points out that PCs are less money

Person B says prove it

Person A provides example

Person B says oh they are not the same

Person A says close enough :)

Reality there is an Apple Tax. People should stop trying to say the computers are priced the same, they are not. IMHO you are paying the Apple Tax to get the hardware to work perfectly with the OS... and that is worth it.
I'm not sure how you make the claim that there is an Apple tax (and I know the irony of responding to this post, believe me). For the most part, similar hardware is priced at nearly the same price point for both Macs and PCs. Now and then there are minor differences. For example, when the mbps were updated, they were a good deal compared to other notebooks with the same amount of power, weight, and size. Currently, the mbps are a little above average in the price department (maybe $50 to $100 at most if we compare notebooks of similar weight and power). This is by no means an "Apple tax" as you put it; it's simly the result of differnt companies having different product update cycles.
In addition, what is largely difficult to measure when it comes to Apple products is the money you would pay for the design and style. It's hard to assess, but I'm pretty sure most people will agree that Apple makes good looking computers. To some, that can be worth as little as $1, and to others, it can be worth as much as a $125 difference (note, those who buy the Blackbook). This is intensly subjective, and so is hard to measure in terms of "added worth." However, it ought to be at least considered an attribute worthy of recognition.

Good posts, can any moderators bump this post up to be a permanent thing because the forums seem to be getting this threads more than ever.

I don't know if a sticky is the right solution (I'm guessing that's what you mean), but I agree that this thread is a breathe of fresh air compared to what we've been seeing lately;):)

That is honorable of you :). Personally, I would cite this thread and CalBoy; I now refer to my MacBook as the "Honda Civic of computers". lol! I do think his framing the Mac in terms of automobiles will have a lot of "mileage" :D with the 12th grade crowd!

Good luck with it!

Cars are a crowd pleaser;):p

Seriously though, even with all this good information, your paper can still fall apart if you don't do a good job of comparing AND contrasting. There are similarities between them.

Also, remember that your audience/reader is ignorant. Never assume they have prior knowledge, even if it seems like extreme common sense.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Remember The Essay!!!

The point of the essay is to write well, not prove one way or the other.

So i hope you've gone to a windows site to ask the same question so you have two points of view.

Also as a structural point, figure out what order your points will be in...will you list the points of one OS, then those of the other? or will you list points with reference to each OS before moving onto the next point?

but i shouldn't be lecturing you...enjoy your h/w:rolleyes:

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not sure how you make the claim that there is an Apple tax (and I know the irony of responding to this post, believe me). For the most part, similar hardware is priced at nearly the same price point for both Macs and PCs. Now and then there are minor differences. For example, when the mbps were updated, they were a good deal compared to other notebooks with the same amount of power, weight, and size. Currently, the mbps are a little above average in the price department (maybe $50 to $100 at most if we compare notebooks of similar weight and power). This is by no means an "Apple tax" as you put it; it's simly the result of differnt companies having different product update cycles.
In addition, what is largely difficult to measure when it comes to Apple products is the money you would pay for the design and style. It's hard to assess, but I'm pretty sure most people will agree that Apple makes good looking computers. To some, that can be worth as little as $1, and to others, it can be worth as much as a $125 difference (note, those who buy the Blackbook). This is intensly subjective, and so is hard to measure in terms of "added worth." However, it ought to be at least considered an attribute worthy of recognition.

Oy, vey..here we go again.

You basically are saying there is an apple tax, in fact you added an excellent point I missed regarding the value of the Apple design. So

Apple Tax == Design + Excellent hardware/software integration

I can find a very similar Dell that is, I don't know exactly, around $250-1000 cheaper than most mac (excluding the Mac Pro most likely). The earlier poster with the lousy Acer laptop didn't even mention the normal dell discount deals, coupons, and weekly specials. This is what the Apple price defenders ALWAYS ignore in their price comparisons. They go to dell and just pick any computer off the dell page that matches exactly which is not on sale, and then ignore all the coupons, specials on certain computers, that are available.

And, no. I am not going to do this for you. Here, go yourself and check out http://www.techbargains.com for all the Dell weekly specials and coupons on various computers. It may not be EXACTLY the same, but little differences are usually very minor; the PC often comes with some better aspects than the Apple, and other stuff not as good so it balances out.

I think this defensive posture is silly on pricing. iPod is more expensive than other MP3 players, and everyone doesn't have a problem saying it is because of a better interface & integration & features (hello, Apple Tax).

Just my $0.000002 :D

cutsman

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
I was just about to post something similar to this. The OP described this as a comparative essay, not a persuasive essay. Thinking back to my days in high school, there was a huge distinction placed on the two. I believe a comparative essay should treat each subject (PC and Mac) equally and provide a comparison in a concise manner without injecting too much of an opinion or preference.

I'm getting the impression the OP is getting too caught up in this "Mac is better than PC" thing and focusing too much on making the essay about how Macs are so much better (They are! :)). Becareful, because I fear you are straying from the intended scope of the essay.

The point of the essay is to write well, not prove one way or the other.

So i hope you've gone to a windows site to ask the same question so you have two points of view.

Also as a structural point, figure out what order your points will be in...will you list the points of one OS, then those of the other? or will you list points with reference to each OS before moving onto the next point?

but i shouldn't be lecturing you...enjoy your h/w:rolleyes:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Apple Tax == Design + Excellent hardware/software integration

I'm going to only address this part of your post, because I don't have the time or the interest to research price comparisons, so I'll assume that all Apple products (to others who side with me, this is simply a fact I'm going to accept ad hoc, so that I can address the central point; I don't agree with it) are 10% more expensive over competitors for the same specs/weight/size. Now, using that forumla you used:

Apple Tax= Design + Software/Hardware integration.

Does anyone see a problem with this? If you don't, let's take a look at the definition of a tax:

A burdensome or excessive demand; a strain.

Now, this definition is the best one I could find that didn't have a connection to a government entity. It captures the essence of your argument: Apple wants more money for the same product. However, you agreed with me that Apple offers you more for the money, namely better design and computing experience of the user. That doesn't amount to a "tax." A tax in the sense you are trying to use it, would occur in the following senario:

Shop A, located in Texas, sells iPhones for $400.
Shop B, located in California, sells iPhones for $420. Shop B states their higher price is due to higher property costs, and that they need the $20 difference in order to keep the same profit margins as Shop A. This would be a case of a customer being "taxed."

Why?

The reason is, the customer is getting no additional benefits from buying the phone in California. Apple customers do get benefits, as you stipulated before hand, from buying Apple products, whether it be an iPod, Macbook, or iMac.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I'm going to only address this part of your post, because I don't have the time or the interest to research price comparisons, so I'll assume that all Apple products (to others who side with me, this is simply a fact I'm going to accept ad hoc, so that I can address the central point; I don't agree with it) are 10% more expensive over competitors for the same specs/weight/size. Now, using that forumla you used:

Apple Tax= Design + Software/Hardware integration.

Does anyone see a problem with this? If you don't, let's take a look at the definition of a tax:

Now, this definition is the best one I could find that didn't have a connection to a government entity. It captures the essence of your argument: Apple wants more money for the same product. However, you agreed with me that Apple offers you more for the money, namely better design and computing experience of the user. That doesn't amount to a "tax." A tax in the sense you are trying to use it, would occur in the following senario:

Shop A, located in Texas, sells iPhones for $400.
Shop B, located in California, sells iPhones for $420. Shop B states their higher price is due to higher property costs, and that they need the $20 difference in order to keep the same profit margins as Shop A. This would be a case of a customer being "taxed."

Why?

The reason is, the customer is getting no additional benefits from buying the phone in California. Apple customers do get benefits, as you stipulated before hand, from buying Apple products, whether it be an iPod, Macbook, or iMac.

haha, omg you're getting all upset cause you don't like the phrase Tax!? You're too funny. :p

If you don't like "Apple Tax" which is what most IT folks use btw... How about Apple Surcharge, Apple Fee, Apple Quality Assurance, Jobs Coffee Fee, Apple Stockholder Charge...and my favorite, contributions to the Apple Tip Jar

Seriously, it's just semantics

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
You seem to be completely missing the point of the assignment. Theres a difference between a "comparative essay" and a "persuasive essay", you are obviously trying to make a persuasive argument rather than actually compare anything.

You need to do research on BOTH platforms and equally describe their plusses and minuses in a clearly unbiased way. If all youre doing is trying to persuade people to get a Mac then youll get a big fat D (since Ive never known a teacher that gives an F if you hand something in, youd deserve an F for doing the wrong assignment but probably wont get one). Adding "once you go mac you dont go mac" is probably the stupidest thing anyone could put when trying to COMPARE things, keep your opinions to yourself unless the point of the assignment is to persuade the reader to get a mac.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
haha, omg you're getting all upset cause you don't like the phrase Tax!? You're too funny. :p
Correct terminology is very important. If something isn't a tax, don't call it a tax. By using a false synonym, you've changed the connotation and nature of the very thing we're discussing.
If you don't like "Apple Tax" which is what most IT folks use btw... How about Apple Surcharge, Apple Fee, Apple Quality Assurance, Jobs Coffee Fee, Apple Stockholder Charge...and my favorite, contributions to the Apple Tip Jar
Interesting that you bring up "IT folks," seeing as how the IT industry has historically been against Apple and Macs (I'm speaking in generalities; there are many forum members who are IT guys and simply love Macs). You don't in any way see something wrong with this source? They wouldn't by any chance have a bias would they?;)

Either way, a name can convey many things, esspecially the feelings one has towards something. Don't let Juilet's speech in Romeo and Juliet confuse you; names do matter. If we were to change the name of Chevron to "Takes my money every week INC" you can be sure there would a change in emotions. By labeling Apple's price points as a "tax," you've revealed that you think you've overpaid by large sums, something you haven't hesitated to point out in numerous threads(like this one). It seems to me that you haven't considered the full value of the product you have in your possesion, and thus you simply decide to call it a product with an "Apple Tax."

Had you done some good research, you would have found that Apple is very reasonable when it comes to pricing; this has been well noted by several major articles, and is no doubt helping to fuel the surge in Mac sales.
Seriously, it's just semantics
No it isn't. Saying something is "green" instead of "emerald" is semantics. What you're doing is using an entirely erroneous word which doesn't apply. I suppose it would be appropriate to call English "Germanic French" huh? It's "just" semantics.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do feel that some Apple products are overpriced, and a waste of MY money (I wouldn't get a Mighty Mouse for example). I just don't think that you can say the same is true for most of Apple's computer offerings.

You seem to be completely missing the point of the assignment. Theres a difference between a "comparative essay" and a "persuasive essay", you are obviously trying to make a persuasive argument rather than actually compare anything.

You need to do research on BOTH platforms and equally describe their plusses and minuses in a clearly unbiased way. If all youre doing is trying to persuade people to get a Mac then youll get a big fat D (since Ive never known a teacher that gives an F if you hand something in, youd deserve an F for doing the wrong assignment but probably wont get one). Adding "once you go mac you dont go mac" is probably the stupidest thing anyone could put when trying to COMPARE things, keep your opinions to yourself unless the point of the assignment is to persuade the reader to get a mac.
Actually, I've been sure to note this for the OP, so he doesn't get lost by all of my posts (which are attempting to end FUD). Here's a sample:

Your thesis should focus on comparing and contrasting several attributes, as this will give your essay the best structure.

And don't forget the conclusion!!!!!

Seriously though, even with all this good information, your paper can still fall apart if you don't do a good job of comparing AND contrasting. There are similarities between them.

Also, remember that your audience/reader is ignorant. Never assume they have prior knowledge, even if it seems like extreme common sense.

devilpup

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
And one more thing...

I'm an older guy with a big family whose job is computer tech at a cross platform company. I don't think the following aspects of Mac in the comparison has been directly covered yet? The ease and power of making VERY good family/event slide shows, movies, and DVDs (with music) and maybe even posting some of these to the web has always been easier and available earlier on Macs. This has been huge for celebrating and sharing never-ending family stuff that could never get done if it wasn't so intuitive, consistent and fast. With all that's on my plate there's just not time. Those very same qualities make it equally easy and fast (easier!) for me to train our users at work (on Windows stuff too!) Oh, and the early, easy and stable availability and use of iChat AV & iSight for years has made the wife really happy for checking in with the kids and girlfriends all over the U.S. In other words, Mac hardware + software integration + early & easy access and availability have meant great satisfaction and little frustration. And in many cases these extremely useful solid applications are free with the hardware. And often months or years before our neighbors, friends and co-workers even know what we're talking about!

At work 75% of what we do is MS Office based and both platforms of Office play very very well together. I'm actually thankful for the competition because both platforms benefit. I see stuff coming for MS Office Mac 2008 that will be better based on what is learned and liked with Office Win 07 (the 'Ribbon').
Finally, I've been on board with Mac since the beginning. Little else in my life has continued to so consistently give me smiles, sometimes laughs, sometimes amazement, sometimes just being impressed... as being involved with Mac. It's just fun....for 23 years!!! I look forward to Apple's announcements, reality distortion and Steve fests. My associates who are more on the Windows side don't very much seem to have the same sort of thing. Mostly, for them, its just work. The design, the innovation, the boundary pushing, the almost ridiculous California superlatives that sometimes that are actually produced. I work inside a PC and its fine. I open up a G5 tower and it is objectively a thing of design beauty. Being an Apple tech continues to be really cool. Sorry to repeat it...its more fun. That's a very important thing in your life's work. Best regards to all on either side of the discussion.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Be sure to include your "attention grabber" in the opening paragraph. Maybe you should paint a story about an individual who suffers from trojans and viruses and malware and the like. Be descriptive like you're telling a little story.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Be sure to include your "attention grabber" in the opening paragraph. Maybe you should paint a story about an individual who suffers from trojans and viruses and malware and the like. Be descriptive like you're telling a little story.

Well, seeing as how it's a compare and contrast essay, he may want to tone down the Mac zealotry;)
Otherwise, it is important to have an intersting essay which informs and entertains (remember that your teacher will be reading 30 of these at once:eek:;))

cujoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
thanks everyone for your replies!!! Much appreciated!!! I was talking to my teacher about my essay and he said in a comparative essay you can favour one side but it has to be a fair fight...so i can brag about how much better the Mac is than a P.C.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
thanks everyone for your replies!!! Much appreciated!!! I was talking to my teacher about my essay and he said in a comparative essay you can favour one side but it has to be a fair fight...so i can brag about how much better the Mac is than a P.C.

Be sure to keep it fairly balanced. You can favor one side while keeping it balanced. For example:

The Mac platform has numerous advantages that puts the traditional Wintel machine to shame...

^^This would be a bit too much support for the Mac side.

The Mac platform, through its unique qualities, has some advantages over the traditional Wintel machine, though both are fairly strong in...

^^This is a bit more balanced. Try to be subtle in the right places, and you'll do fine. Be sure to check grammar and spelling ten times! Post if you have any other questions. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.