Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iranintoavan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I'm not sure whether your parents are buying it for you, or they are just telling you what to do with your own money (some parents are like that).

If they are buying it for you, and your sitting on $2300 I suggest you do what I did. Have them give you the money for the computer they are willing to buy you, and then use your money to pay the difference between the macbook and the macbook pro. Example...my parents decided they would get me a black macbook for college. I decided that since I do a lot of work in Final Cut Pro, Aperture, and Photoshop a macbook pro would be better for me. So I asked them if they would just give me the $1400 for the macbook and I will spend the extra (about $500) and get the macbook pro. Worked out well. I suggest you try that.

jne381

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
As many have already said, the MBP is not that much better than the MB. For me the biggest problem between the two is the difference in screen size, but if that is not a problem for you, and you don't feel hampered by the lack of a graphics card, the MB is the much better choice for you. It is plenty powerful to last a good four years. And even if it goes beyond that, you will want another machine by then anyway.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I disagree! I have both (using MB atm), and the MBP is a far better machine! It's like comparing a 1 series BMW to a 5 series! Both very good cars, but the 5 is just far more 'polished' even if you take the performance differences out of the equation, and they differences are quite large in my experience. You can feel the difference just flicking around OS X.

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
Thank you guys,my parents just agree to buy a MacBook(2.16ghz, 120G) or a MacBook Pro(2.2ghz),anyway it's better than the current one, so I'm happy no matter the final decision is.
Another reason why my parents d'ont like the MAC, is because when my father studied biology in France, at that time,hospitals all use MAC.But when my family returned to China, PC monopolise the market,so my father d'ont know how to use a PC(until now, he still didn'y know how to use his T42 well)
About my 2300$, I'm Chinese you know,even I was grown-up in France,even both my parents have their doctora in France and US,I still live in a semi-traditional Chinese family, so right now my parents control my money.
Peace

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
...and the MBP is a far better machine!...

cause we all know MBPs are so durable.

I got a black MacBook specifically because
1. I use it for school, and it gets knocked around a lot. It doesn't dent like the MBP.
2. It's small and doesn't weigh too much. Fits comfortably in all my bags.
3. It's black and not white or silver :D
4. Battery life is better

Honestly, for the price, I'd go with a MacBook and then get a separate desktop or extra accessories and AppleCare, instead of going only with the MBP. I'm not going to be gaming or doing anything particularly intensive on the MacBook, why do that when things work just fine and splended on a nice small laptop?

As for the 4 year thing..none of my laptops have really made it beyond 2-3 years, either due to wear and tear or cause I splurge on a new laptop...it's been happening since elementary school for me, the MacBook is the 4th Apple laptop for me, and 6th laptop in general. Hasn't even been 9 years yet, two of the old ones still work and are being used for other things, one's been sold, and two died on me. :p

blue knight

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
As a parent I can reply from my angle. My 16 year old son decided he wanted a new computer. While he would love a MBP he realized that a MB would suit the needs of a high school sophmore. I told him if he could save up 1/3-1/2 I we would kick in the rest. Since he was using Dad's student discount (better late then never to finish college) I would front him the money for an ipod 30gb.

He informed me yesterday he would have enough money when he got his next paycheck on the 1st of August.

Of course he has also hinted that a MBP would make a nice graduation present.

mkgm1

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
Each of those points has a ready counterargument:

Applies for both MB and MBP, so not sure why this is relevant...

[...]

You've missed the point - judging by the OP's original post, he wants a low end Macbook Pro, and the only reason his parents won't let him get one is because they are not sure about Macs in general. Factors like the 14 day money back guarantee (-10%) and the ability to run Parallels/Boot Camp mean there's not as much risk in buying a Mac as they're imagining, so they shouldn't worry about him spending all of his money on the MBP.

You can unofficially replace the HD in the MBP yourself, you just have to make sure that you put the original back in before you send it in for repairs, and don't lose any screws/damage anything etc.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I know that the convincing is done, but let me tell you, I've switched from a PC in dec. (after obsessing about macs for a long time). I couldn't wait, that 5th ave Apple store just called to me. I got a BlackBook, alas the thing had almost no graphics card and the screen was kinda tiny. Bought a 2.4 Ghz 15" MBP two weeks ago from a closer Apple store... it is so much better than a MB. The larger screen, more ports, backlit keyboard, automatic display adjustment, the speakers actually make noise, and it's all in a package one more diagonal inch larger than the MB and a third of a pound heavier (tell me the difference if you just hold them). Buy the MBP, you'll never regret it.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
well i have a macbook pro and will be going to college. i got it only because i want and need the expresscard slot, will game a little and im kind of a big guy (height not weight) and couldnt make use of a smaller screen and keyboard. truthfully most students wont need a macbook pro, but since i plan on studying pharmacy, which is a career dominated by windows (pharmacy school requires a windows computer) the extra video card will be useful when i have to use vista for the various software.

Lmao at your nickname, haha.

What will you be using the card slot for?

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
As a parent I can reply from my angle. My 16 year old son decided he wanted a new computer. While he would love a MBP he realized that a MB would suit the needs of a high school sophmore. I told him if he could save up 1/3-1/2 I we would kick in the rest. Since he was using Dad's student discount (better late then never to finish college) I would front him the money for an ipod 30gb.

He informed me yesterday he would have enough money when he got his next paycheck on the 1st of August.

Of course he has also hinted that a MBP would make a nice graduation present.

That's very nice of you! If he doesn't want/need the iPod you could get it then sell it on Ebay.

I'm also saving for a mbp...almost there lol.

gamac

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
I love these threads. You (almost) always know how the (age dependent) responses will fall.

Let's look at how this usually goes.

Someone is 18+ years old (legal adult) and...

They live at home or in a dorm or share an apartment with other students.
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their living expenses (home/dorm/rent, water, gas, electricity, clothing, food, TV, internet, etc.).
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their transportation expenses (car, insurance, gas, etc.).
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their educational expenses (tuition, fees, books, etc).
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their entertainment expenses (movies, fast food, allowance, etc.).
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their vacation expenses (travel, hotel, amusement parks, beaches, rides, etc.).

However, this responsible, ready to take care of themselves (legal adult) feels that their parents should not have any say on how they spend "their" money.

Makes me smile every time. :)

Not saying the OP feels this way, only that many of the follow-up posters always do.

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
Nice to see lots of people remind me of the pain my parents have had to grown me up, I never forget that.

But I'm a kid who hardly spend money on something, this 2300$ are saved since my born. It's only the second time I asked my parents to buy me something (This time with my money).Money is really not the problem here,how to convince them what MAC is better for me is my only question.

So pleeeeeeeease stop saying things like that!!!!! Or I will really feel guilty to buy a MAC. We are a happier family than you imagine.It's been 3 years since my parents want to buy me a laptop, today is only the decision which MAC to buy

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
I sincerely hope you're able to end up with MBP. They are amazing machines! However, the MB will be a great machine as well. Just be thankful your gonna be using a Mac ;)

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I love these threads. You (almost) always know how the (age dependent) responses will fall.

Their parents pay for some/most/all of their living expenses (home/dorm/rent, water, gas, electricity, clothing, food, TV, internet, etc.).
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their transportation expenses (car, insurance, gas, etc.).
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their educational expenses (tuition, fees, books, etc).
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their entertainment expenses (movies, fast food, allowance, etc.).
Their parents pay for some/most/all of their vacation expenses (travel, hotel, amusement parks, beaches, rides, etc.).

However, this responsible, ready to take care of themselves (legal adult) feels that their parents should not have any say on how they spend "their" money.

Not saying the OP feels this way, only that many of the follow-up posters always do.

Haha, true...

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
okay, I had to mention it: it's Mac and not MAC.

I'd go with the mbp, but be prepared to have to return it 6 times because of the yellowish screen issue. Hopefully you'll get a working one right away, though.

RedBarchetta

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
so basically I was in the same dilemma MB or MBP. Do I upgrade the crap out of a Macbook or do I bite the bullet on the price difference and get a Macbook Pro (lowest end model). At the end of July/early August I'll be heading to the Apple store to buy a Macbook Pro 2.2ghz with a 160gb hd.

what it actually came down to was me going to the reseller in my city and playing around with both computers. What I found was I would benefit from the increased screen size (typing this on a 20 inch Intel iMac and dropping down to that thirteen inch screen I don't know if I could do it). The 15 inch MBP suited me personally much better.

lets be honest here, both computers are excellent machines. Don't let the "Pro" part fool you the MB is still a good laptop, especially for a college student. And that 13 inch screen I was so skeptical about was not actually as difficult on me as I originally had thought. I just made the decision that I would benefit from the extra screen resolution.

overall, take them both for a test drive at the apple store. that's when you should make your decision

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!

Well my parents are buying me a MacBook Pro for college. Because, fortunately, they're not paying for living expenses, or tuition, or books, or anything else along those lines. I figured I had to gouge them on something :p ;)

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
The Pro graphics card is good for games; it is _not_ used by video software.

Sorry_you_are_wrong.

The majority of final cut studio (fcp, motion, color) uses the graphics card to accelerate playback. Without a dedicated graphics card there is a very noticeable slowdown in performance. It is not unusable without, but you want one if you plan on using fcp often.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I am a semi-DJ in my Breakin Crew.

It doesn't show.

I quickly scanned through the thread and didn't see anywhere that said what you would specifically be using it for ?

Everyone has given arguments for and against both models, however it all depends on what your use of the computer will be, as to whether you'll see a noticeable performance benefit from the more expensive model.

Also, I do realise you live in a Chinese-French family, but at the end of the day it's your money, spend it as you like.

And finally, just for fun, could you stop capitalising MAC as if it stands for something... :p

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Well if you have $2300 and the macbook pro costs $1999 I don't really see a problem. Your going to college you should be able to spend your own money on whatever you want.

And since you are a student, you can get that for $1799.
Tell them that, see what they say...

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I don't know if you have considered this, but what about a refurbished MacBook Pro? It'll be in mint condition, it'll have a 1 year warranty and you can get AppleCare, and it will be cheaper. Check out the refurb section on Apple's site, its inventory changes frequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.