Mac vs PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyborg21, Nov 8, 2013.

?

For an Average user wihch is the best?

1. Mac

37 vote(s)
    86.0%
  2. PC

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Hi, I decided to upgrade my old computer. But I am not sure what to buy. I think I want a retina MacBook Pro 15'' . I searched on internet and I found a very big hate for Apple products and users especially Macs and Mac users. I can't find anything wrong with Macs but there must be something wrong with them beacuse everybody hates them. Most arguments were like ''Macs can't play games.'' ''You can't do anything with Macs'' ''My PC beats every Mac on everything'' ''Only hipsters and gays use Mac''. But I reaaly can't find anything wrong. I am a average user and only game that I play on my computer is league of legends. So what do you think? Why people hate Macs?

2. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

try both brands

and see what you like...

Gotta love the internets: I'm not a hipster or gay (and what moronic assumptions to make.)

Seriously:

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. I prefer Macs (and I do not game), but I believe you should buy what works best for your needs/wants.

The only way you can know that is to try both and research to see which is better for you.

3. r0k, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. My work computer is a relatively new Dell Latitude E6430 with an SSD inside. My Mac is a 15 inch late 2011 15 in hires antiglare Macbook Pro. At work, our IT department keeps things pretty locked down and there is some astoundingly low quality software we are required to use. It is that software more than Windows itself that makes the machine a chore to use and I'm not willing to take on the responsibility of bending the IT rules to make my experience any better. At the end of the work day I switch the thing off and thank GOD I have a Mac waiting for me at home. At home I'm my IT department and I have little or nothing to do.

Yes, you heard that right. I have little or no IT to do at home. I started my transition to Mac in 1998 when I took my home server off of Win NT 3.51 and moved it to Linux. While my NT box froze or rebooted about once a day, my Linux box rebooted only for major power failures. It was always always always ready and always always always worked. In 2005 I got a Mac mini because at $500, it seemed to me to finally give me a chance to try OSX without spending "too much." The rest is history. Over the years my IT workload has declined steadily as I discarded Windows boxes and replaced them with Macs. No more "Dad, I can't print!" No more "Dad, the internet is down!" No more antivirus subscription popups that seem worse than the viruses they allegedly prevent!

So when you hear people complaining about Macs, most often they are ignorant. Sure you can get some astoundingly fast CPU with giga-tera-bytes of memory and quadra-giga-terabytes of storage for 50 cents when you build your own PC. Then you are faced with putting Windows on the thing. Based on my experience, that's a lot like smearing dog poop on a Lamborghini.

OSX was inherently superior to Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP and Vista. Even most PC fanboys will not argue with this. Starting with Windows 7, Microsoft started to close the gap when they started finding and fixing bugs in Windows and its drivers using automated test tools. Windows 8 is a huge step backwards to some, a step forward to others. If stability is what you care about, along with the ability to share files with everyone else, and you don't mind spending some time doing your own "maintenance" Windows is a virtual tie. If your TIME is important to you, Apple is ready to sell some of it back to you for the price of a Macbook Pro. If you leave system preferences set to "app store" or even "app store and known developers" you are likely to never again witness an app crash or freeze. Ever.

So in summary, while Windows has gotten a lot better, OSX still has a distinct edge in terms of usability, stability and its curated app store. The only reason I would choose Windows these days is if I had to use it for compatibility with other Windows users. And btw, this is less an issue now than ever as almost every OSX app can read and write Windows app file formats and there are low cost and freeware alternatives that are better than Microsoft Office in many ways and almost as good in others. Another factor to consider is you can run Windows inside a Virtualbox, Parallels or even as the only OS running by using bootcamp. There is no such (official) option if you have a PC. I have a friend who had an iMac and felt that Macs were "too expensive" so he went over to one of the Hackintosh sites, bought the exact hardware listed in one of the "proven" configs and could not get OSX to run properly. He has since given up and installed Win 7.

There is definitely something to the argument that Macs are more expensive. I saw a very nice Lenovo ultrabook in Office Depot a few months back for around $600. It came with Windows 8 and included a nice touchpad (though not as nice as Apple), and a touchscreen (which you can't get these days on an Apple computer other than iPad). It was very nice and strongly reminded me of the Macbook and Macbook Air line. If I was in the market for a PC, Lenovo would definitely be on my short list. But there is more to the story (for me). While a Macbook Pro would cost almost double what that nice Lenovo ultrabook cost, I would gladly pay it because I find it to be worth it. One calculation is total cost of ownership. Another is ownership experience. Yet another is customer service reputation of Apple versus Microsoft, Samsung, Lenovo, Dell, et al. There is no contest, you get a better "end to end" experience in the Apple ecosystem and to me it's worth paying a little more. The clincher is this: I used to replace my PCs every 18 months. What did it matter if I shelled out $600 every 18 months when I could shell out $1200 every five to seven YEARS on a Mac. My MBP cost close to $2K including Applecare. By buying "last year's" model at Microcenter, I got it new in box for less than what Apple refurb store was selling the same model at the time. To me this is the best way to reduce the cost of Apple gear: buy refurbished or clearance and keep it a long time.

4. firedept, Nov 8, 2013

firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Pretty defamatory remarks you have been reading. Reading comments like that should give you an indication of the type of person posting that rubbish. Typical of the Mac vs PC bashes.

Only you can decide what you really need. Both Macs & PC's will do a good job, just depends on what you like. Your needs are simple and the rMBP will do just fine. Actually overkill for what you will be doing.

I use a PC on my printing press at work but my home is all Mac. Both work fine for what I require them to do. I prefer Mac due to the OS X and IOS environments.

5. gnasher729, Nov 8, 2013

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There's a lot of hate on the internet.
    My wife says if I make her use a PC instead of a Mac she'll divorce me.
    I think she's absolutely right, that's why she uses a Mac and an iPad.

Some time ago, she had to use a Windows PC and tried to turn it off. Couldn't figure out how, so she called me. I said "Well, you click on the 'Start' menu" and she said "What???? 'Start' menu to turn it off?"

Those were the good old days. Today with Windows 8, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to turn it off. No 'Start' menu in sight. Probably unplug it and wait a few hours.

About the "only gays and hipsters": I make my living writing software. Have done so for many, many years. In my experience, software developers buy Macs for home use. So does apparently everyone in our testing department. They don't think that solving problems on a Windows PC proves you are clever. They think that using a Mac and not having to solve problems proves you are clever.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Good chuckle.

7. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Try to get a Mac and then also install Windows so you get to experience both worlds in one machine. Like hitting 2 birds with one stone. There has been a mix of differences in opinions, some prefer Macs and others like Windows. Though either can accomplish your intended tasks. It's a matter of personal preferences too. People say if you play games use a PC. Games run better on a PC as they say. If you do media production use a Mac.

8. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I was living with someone who acts like that to this day. What it comes down to is very simple and nothing to make derogatory remarks of others for.

It boils down to this: She hated Macs because she lived her life on the PC and playing games on steam. A large swath of games on steam are for windows only because the programers write it in direct X and another code that are windows proprietary. Over the last few years this has been improving greatly, though. There are a ton more cross-platform games than there were even 5 years ago.

An example of this is me not being able to play Terraria on steam because it is PC only. The programmer is working to port it to Mac, but I am not holding my breath. My options are to make a partition and put Windows on that partition through boot camp or have a PC to play such games. Also, other Mac games like Guild Wars 2 and the Sims 2 are just cider wrapped versions of their PC game.

If they want to port said code to Mac (running a BSD kernel, a linux offshoot) or linux/unix itself they have to pretty much rewrite it to make it fit. That is really simplistic terms cause I am not into programming.

If you play a ton of PC games/use PC-only software get a PC or use Boot Camp and have a windows partition on your Mac. This is why a lot of people on the forum have PCs at work but have Macs at home.

9. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

I use both ( OSX Mavericks and Windows 8.1 ) and each one has it's strengths and weaknesses. I'm not a gamer so I don't know what game you are referring to but a PC can probably give you more gaming power for your buck over a Mac but if your like me and have been using an iPhone or iPod for many years then you probably are married to the good ole "Apple Ecosystem" and it's just easier to stay in the Mac family. I've had a Mac ( Power PC with System 7 ) since 1995 and Window's since 1992 ( 486 DX2-50 with 3.1 ) and can honestly say the Mac has always been a pleasure to use, can't say the same of Windows over the years ......however, 8.1 is not bad once you take about 30 minutes to learn all of the features that being said my Windows box is strictly used for AutoCAD and my Mac Mini i5 with 16GB RAM pulls the other 99% of my computing needs with out making a sound at that. Do your research and buy whats right for you, not what someone says is right for you!

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Try them both out and see what works for you. You may find one or the other may not quite cut it for you or lacks a killer app you desire.

11. JGRE, Nov 8, 2013

JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

Well, the game argument is pretty on point, OSX is inferior when it comes to playing HD games because the drivers aren't updated as frequently as in Windows, also Open GL is not on par with Windows. The problem is therefor more software than hardware related. On the hardware side you are limited with video drivers as Apple puts them in the machines, but you could use a so-called Hackintosh machine (self assembled machine capable of running OSX) to side-step this shortfall. In this respect a Hackintosh is no different then any other computer. Would you want to by-pass the software issue, you can always boot any Apple computer under Windows using bootcamp. Combine bootcamp with a Hackintosh and you got exactly the same specs as any Windows users.

For me, Apple just works fine, it is way simpler and faster than Windows. I use parallel desktops for some programs that are not yet available under OSX and when you decide to buy a laptop there is no difference in specs comparing a MBP with a HP or whatever anyways. The difference is only when you want to customize your hardware, you will find that Apple is not your best friend, but that is where you would want a Hackingtosh. I expect that the new late 2103 MBP will also provide me with the video power to play HD games, perhaps not up to standard with hard-core gamers but good enough for me.

The big win for Apple is the WAF what someone pointed out to me some time ago: WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor. Today everyone at home can do everything without asking questions on and on and on.

12. And macrumors 6502

And

Relatively hassle-free home computing (compared to a PC) and they have a longer useful life. My main computer is a 2009 mini, I'll probably replace it in Jan/Feb 2014, so 5 years use.

13. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

This is the selling point for a lot of Mac converts. I was using Windows for many years and eventually realized that it aggravated me too much. The big issues I had were hardware/software conflicts and drivers. When using windows, I would come home from college every year, go over to my friends house and wipe and reinstall the OS. Using Windows over such a short time slowed the PC down too much. I was shown how easy burning CDs using iTunes was, and logging into a remote server using a Mac and i was hooked. It just worked. There was no hassle.

With Macs, constant maintenance is never an issue because they put tools in place to clean excess caches, etc in the background. There are people on here who run their system for months straight without shutting down because they can.

14. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I grew up with PC's, always used them, knew about Mac's but didn't see why they would be used. Once I started getting into editing I started using Mac's. I really liked them. I have Always thought Apple Products are good looking I dont know why, I just do. One day I decided to buy one. I knew I could save up enough money to replace my beat down PC. I have owned Mac's since then.

That was my backstory to tell you I HAVE owned both. I prefer Mac's, they are more fluid and crisp. You can still modify your device, my MacBook Pro has been upgraded to 16GB of RAM from 8GB, I normally remove my optical drive for a little bit less weight. Mac's seem to be much more stable than PC's I have definitely had my fair share of issues with my Mac's though.

Basically this, If you want an insanely overpowered machine that you dont need get an insanely overpowered PC. If you want a realistic simple looking computer go with a Mac.

You can run Windows on a Mac, so gaming is an option with a Mac, might not run as smooth as he ridiculously overpowered PC but it will most likely run good enough for your needs.

Hope this helps :)

15. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I notice your post is right after mine so I apologize if I seemed over defamatory against Windows. I really did try to make it clear my impressions were based on my experience and not absolute truths about Microsoft. I also mentioned the crippleware our IT guys put on our machines. While I thought this would be taken as neutral, your (apparent) response makes it clear I was not neutral. I am delighted with my experience with Apple products and while I have found them to be superior for my usage, I acknowledge that there are situations where Windows could work better. Sorry about that.

That reminds me. I think my upgrade cycle is a bit shorter than what I mentioned in my previous post. It's more like 3 to 5 years rather than 7:

Mac mini (2005)
    Macbook (2008)
    Macbook Pro (2013)

When I made the switch to Mac, I went "cold turkey" and didn't so much as install Windows under Parallels. Later I gave in a bit and installed Crossover so I could run a small handful of Windows apps I needed for a class I was taking at the time. Crossover is emulation and only runs a tiny fraction of Windows apps. Finally I wound up putting both XP and 7 in Virtualbox VM's on my Mac just for testing and the occasional "this site only works in Internet Explorer with activex" situations.

16. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

I'm awaiting delivery of my first Mac and this was one of the many factors that convinced me. I have a fairly decent laptop (Dell L701X; i7, SSD, 16GB ram, 3GB graphics) and it runs windows 7/8 fast! Startup is about 20-30s and I'm off and away in no time, particularly in windows 8 which now has intelligent startup which loads what your trying to use first. Anyway, a couple of months ago, my girlfriend 2009 Macbook needed a hard drive upgrade, she'd filled the desktop with millions of pictures and couldn't store anymore, so she asked me to do it. Before removing her current drive to clone, I asked her (seeing as I'm a Mac novice), how do you shut the Mac down? Her response, yelled from afar - SHUT THE LID! - she had never, in the 4 years of ownership, shut the thing down properly and it was still running smooth with no problems. If I tried this on my windows laptop, I think it would self destruct within a month.

The second big clincher for me was the customer service received with my iPhone, iPad and girlfriends macbook. They just seem to replace faulty goods in an instant and I'm happy to pay a little more for such a privilege.

Having half decided to buy a Mac, I wanted to test it out a little before making such a huge investment so installed iAtkos ML in a virtual machine and used it for everyday tasks for about a week. Though not ideal, due to VM restrictions I liked the environment and had not problems with my general usage. I've now installed rocket dock on my Laptop and moved the task bar to the top of the screen because I missed OS X so much!

If you are really new to OS X and not sure if you could live with it, try installing it in VM ware, or similar. I'm not sure doing so is completely legal but I didn't worry too much as I was only using it for a couple of weeks. Helped me understand the environment and convinced me to buy a rMBP to run alongside my Dell XPS.

17. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

My friends are mostly all pc and android (and mostly gay) no matter how many times I tell them to try Apple when their stuff breaks. In face more of my straight friends are on Apple stuff now. I switched in 2000 (to apple and to gay) but I'm no hipster. I have Windows 8 on my air and yeah I haven't used it much but I still can't figure out some things, don't understand why they have 2 different internet explorers, and the mishmash of user interfaces. I can't upgrade to 8.1 since I didn't allow enough space originally, but I have no need for it anymore since the one program I used on windows is now on mac. I do like the new larger all-in-one tablets (pc) because they would make an excellent digital sheet music device but that would be all I use it for.

18. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

oh and another thing, my laptop just informed me its going to restart in 4 minutes and there is nothing I can do to stop it. This has happened in the middle of a lesson that I was teaching which was most disruptive!

19. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I far from being a hipster (I hate that term), and I'm not gay (not that there's anything wrong with being gay), I love macs, have since 2002. I also love building and using PC's. That said, they both have their pluses and minuses. One day I might use my PC, the next my Mac. They are both great in my opinion, just different in a good way..

20. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Agree on all counts.

My boss' sister is finally getting a computer and everyone is telling her she is nuts to consider an Apple computer, but that has to her call. Not my boss or my call.

21. MacAPOL macrumors member

MacAPOL

Easy

I owned pc's all my short life (im 22) and even at 16 i started building gaming rigs and all that *****. I bought my first mac on 2010 (for university - Graphic Design) and after these three years using only mac and macos, i can surely say that i will never use a pc again, i recommend all the people that can afford a mac to buy one. Even if they pay me i will not use windows never again unless im oblied to.

edit: i forgot to say, the mac was my first apple product back in 2010. Now watch my signature.

22. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Only game I play on my computer is Sims 3 and league of legends. And guess what! I saw a Mac logo on box of Sims 3 ( Yay :D ). And I searched league legends. I found install for OS X button ( yay again :D ). I think macs are better for me. Things with bad design distrubs me (even best designed PCs look worse than Macs) Also they are more reliable, secure and much comfortable to use.
    Also all programs that I use is avabile on mac! But I want to ask a question: I live in Turkey and there are lots of taxes for electronic things. MacBook Pro with 15'' retina display and nvidia graphics card, 512 gb flash memory etc. costs 6899 tl (3450 $) in turkey. And It costs 2599 $ on U.K. This year I will visit UK so buying a MacBook from UK looks much more logical BUT I use keyboard with turkish letters. So is it possible to change keyboard of Macbook Pro after purcase? If it is not possible I have to buy 15'' rMBP with 256 gb flash and non-dedicated graphics card. So is it possible?

23. ecrispy macrumors regular

For those of you who switched from pc-->Mac, how easy was the transition, learning new shortcut etc?

I am in same position and learning about OSX. The few things that I hope will make life easier - Spotlight, Smart folders, Time Machine, easier control panel.

What I think will make it difficult - no Alt-Tab, instead Cmd-tab + Cmd-~, Dock, getting used to virtual desktops, no right click.

24. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

No, no ,no! You misread my post, it was not intended to point a finger at you. It was in regards to the OP's post. Hope that clears it up. Nothing against you at all. Was just mortified that people out there actually post such defamatory remarks like the OP posted ''Only hipsters and gays use Mac''. Those kind of remarks are offensive.

25. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

The majority of Mac-hate, particularly, the naive accusation of hipster or using homophobic slurs is from fairly young people caught up in smartphone preference wars that haven't got a clue what they're talking about. They don't like the iPhone, which is there choice, yet think they're a rebel nonconformist while at the same time buying brand X or Y PC running Windows and thinking that's making a choice.