Macally SmartMate for new iPad on Amazon!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sparkstsa, Mar 24, 2012.

1. sparkstsa, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

sparkstsa macrumors regular

2. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

While I wait for this to ship.... any opinions on this one?

3. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

You know I've gone down this road ordering all these wanna be's In the end I have always found the Incipio cases to be the best. They have consistent quality and it shows. These others you often find you get what you pay for. Just saying' you may have good luck with it.

4. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

I like the incipio smartfeather, but it doesn't cover completely leaving the top and bottom exposed too much.

5. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I just don't see this as an issue, I think its more of a personal preference. No matter how I set my iPad the Incipio protects it. The need to have a cover over those areas is minimum at best.

I've used the feather on my Previous iPad 2 and two versions of the iPhone. Never a problem with either one.

The bottom line though is folks have to get what works best for them and makes them happy.

6. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

WARNING:

This is not from Amazon but from one of their marketplace vendors called Beach Audio. Having been to the Macally website repeatedly I can tell you they are not shipping this case yet.

99% chance this is some no-name distributor mis-labeling their Amazon listing for the iPad 2 version. Don't fall for it.

BJ

7. justkiz macrumors newbie

I am worried about the same issue as what you mentioned. But I found Amazon in the other sellers option.

8. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

9. johndyar macrumors newbie

I have one of the Macally cases on my iPad 2 with a smart cover. It is a great case and fits very, very good. The site iLounge actually likes this case better than the Incipio offering because it covers more of the edge of the iPad. They gave it a B+ rating. After I installed it with the smart cover I looked it over and thought to myself that if Apple sold a back cover to work with smart cover, this would be it. It fits that well and looks that good. I am very pleased with the Macally case.

10. oliboli macrumors member

Doesn't the new version of this case have a different design over the iPad speaker? The item listing on Amazon depicts a case with this new design.

11. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. I think it routes the sound to the front.

12. boltjames, Mar 25, 2012

boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Perhaps the iPad 2 cover fits the new one, but I do not think that Macally's site would say its not available and they'd choose to launch their most important new accessory with some no-name third party company via Amazon marketplace.

I hope you're right because I want one asap.

BJ

13. sparkstsa thread starter macrumors regular

14. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Do you think the clear has a matte finish for grip. I hate the slick plastic cases. are these backs the same as their Covermate ones that include a front cover??

15. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

I must apologize. Looks like the Gen 3 cases are out in Europe, just not out here in the US yet. So if some US companies got their hands on the import version they indeed have the real thing.

I'm reaching out to them tomorrow, trying to get FedEx so I'll have it this week.

Thanks again.

BJ

16. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Audio Amplifier

That audio amplifier looks like a nice feature. I made my own for my iPad 2.

I may have to go this route if I end up not liking my Moko Slim Fit case.

17. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

The current version of the Covermate has a rubberized finish. Not sure if that is going to be true for the new version.

BJ

18. gigaguy macrumors 65816

THanks bj. I think I found my minimal case. if only these would fit with a skin. I have a cool skin ordered that I'd love to show off.

19. Ail2011, Mar 25, 2012
  20. Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

How does this compare to the Belkin Snap Sheild?
    I hear most of you prefer the Incipio Smart Feather over the Macally.

21. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I think all three of these Macally, Belkin and Incipio are all pretty comparable.

Macally and Incipio actually lock the smart cover to the device. The Belkin does not.

I have owned other Belkin products and they don't impress me as I find their quality to be very inconsistent, but usually they are cheaper. I have purchased a lot of Incipio cases and sleeves. They have rock solid consistent quality, but you pay for it. Macally don't know much about them.

22. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Unless you already have an overpriced apple smart cover, I believe the Covermate is a great choice. I am assuming it's the same shell with an added detachable front cover. I preordered the clear shell with black front cover online. With discount, not much more than the shell alone.

At macmall I wonder why the clear smartmate is so much cheaper than the other two.

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

White one looks awesome! Can't decide between this and the Specks smart shell I scored for $5.82 from amazon. This looks nicer especially in white with my white iPad. But that smart shell can hold my smart cover in place...

24. orlandocano macrumors regular

Do you have the black/white versions, or the clear? the youtube video of the clear one makes it look like those smooth plasticky clear super scratch prone cases... definitely doesnt look like a matte/rubbery finish of the incipios and the belkins... i would totally get this case if the clear version is rubbery... Black and white versions look rubbery though...

if you have the clear version and you say it is rubbery/matte/soft touch.. i will place the order right now... thanks =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSRkA6L_OR0

25. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I like it except it appears to leave the corners exposed.