Macally SmartMate for new iPad on Amazon!

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Thanks for your reaction slim!

I think I am going to buy the Belkin, I don't want a lot of scratches on my cases...

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I'm not sure about the Incipio Smart Feather case or the Belkin Snap Shield's color, but from the pictures I've seen of them they look to be like a frost color or something. I'm thinking it's to provide some grip to the case. The Macally case is not as slick as it appears to be. I do however, think that scratches will be more visiable and it will scratch more easily because it's more transparent than the other too.
Thanks for your reaction slim!

I think I am going to buy the Belkin, I don't want a lot of scratches on my cases...
They're both different cases, not just different colors, let me clarify. There are presently 2 different types of materials used for back cases these days:

Hard Plastic: The crystal-clear cases are made from this material. The good news? They are completely transparent, like a window, doesn't hide the iPad at all. The bad news? The material is akin to a clear plastic fork you'd get at a family picnic. It's hard, somewhat uncomfortable to hold, slippery, and scratches easily. It'll protect the aluminum from scratches, but if you drop it you're getting practically no protection at all.

TPU: The cases that are more flexible and milky-looking are made from this material. The good news? They have great grip, are very rubbery and offer shock protection, comfortable to hold, and will not scratch unless really abused. The bad news? They aren't completely clear, they're frosted and milky looking, they're thicker and add bulk.

So the issue isn't a matter of coloration; it's a matter of the raw materials being used in the construction. To get crystal-clear sexiness you need to sacrifice protection and case-scratch resistance. To get great protection and a great feel in your hands you need to suffer with a milky and frosted appearance.

Note that the colored (non-crystal-clear) back cases out there made of hard plastic tend to have rubber coating which is the best of both worlds, but they don't make a crystal-clear case with rubberized finish because it obscures the crystal-clear presentation.

Hope that helps.

BJ

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Thank you very much!

Your explanation makes the choice much easier...
I will go for the TPU case, so the Belkin Snap Sheild or Incipio Smart Feather.

justkiz

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
It sounds like the tpu case is what I need. Btw, does the white model by Macally have the matte surface?

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Just got my white macally in. Looks good and has a rubberized feel to it. The only thing I don't like is how high the edge of the case comes above the iPad screen. I understand that it's for better protection but it doesn't feel good in the hand as the cut outs scratch your palm as you hold it. It may get returned due to the uncomfortable feel of the cut out edges. Everything else about the case is great though as it does lock the smart cover in place. The speaker section is a great addition and works well.

It's unfortunate that it's uncomfortable to hold.

justkiz

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
It seems that there is no perfect back case for the new ipad until now. Hate waiting.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Here is an image of the eges:

Definitely going back which is unfortunate because it locks the smart cover perfectly.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I just received mine and I held it as normal (one handed as well as in landscape with two hands) and I don't feel any type of pain in doing so...

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Do you really notice the sound difference? I hate having to cup my hand to show something to someone because the sound is basically coming out the back of the iPad.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Do you really notice the sound difference? I hate having to cup my hand to show something to someone because the sound is basically coming out the back of the iPad.
The sound difference is huge.

----------

I just received mine and I held it as normal (one handed as well as in landscape with two hands) and I don't feel any type of pain in doing so...
are you saying that I'm holding it wrong :eek:

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
The sound difference is huge.

----------

are you saying that I'm holding it wrong :eek:
I think I know what your talking about but nothing that can't be fixed if you don't mind fixing it.

On the bottom right corner where the speaker is, where it appears mended together it protrudes a little, it didn't really hurt but seem sharper than the other edges. I took some sand paper to it but if trim it down that should fix the problem.

oliboli

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm...I have a black iPad and ordered a white case. Not really digging how those edges look, to be honest.