Macbook 12 for science sphere: Recommended it to me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by viktit88, Aug 4, 2015.

1. viktit88 macrumors member

Dear professionals! Dear friends! Help me, please!

I am from Russia. And I decided to buy MacBook 12 device (I want to replace my 13 inch MacBook Pro) for daily work at home, on the road and in office.

For me the main things I need are portability, convenience in typing (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), and also autonomy. I am working in the sphere of science, so I work with a lot of researches and databases. I need to use ms office (special business version with power pivot, power map and other special tools), latex, spss, mathtype, mathematica, stata, qlick view, adobe acrobat pro, indesign, finereader, 1c, ms visio, ms project and etc. And, of course, I like to watch movies in the evening. These are the main programs I need to use, other are less productive. I am also doing a lot of administrative work, that is why I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly, so I also work on my Apple iPhone to be always online.

So the question is, whether MacBook 12 will satisfy all my needs.

Thank You very much!

Best wishes, Viktor

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Honestly I would think you'd be happy with either the 1.2 or 1.3 model. It's certainly no slouch. I use mine for a lot of Admin based tasks some light photo editing and marketing purposes which I was using a much more powerful MacBook for and I've found no downside. Tho I have found plenty of upsides!

3. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You friend!
    Because many people on other forums said that MacBook 12 is not for me for my tasks. They said that I should buy MacBook Pro or Thankpad x250.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Overall I think a MBP will give you better performance and the keyboard will feel more natural. The larger screen size and additional ports is a plus as well.

You list a number of apps that will push the CPU and I think the higher horsepower machine will better imo

Don't forget you're asking this question in the MacBook forum so answers will be skewed towards the MacBook. Its like asking if you should buy a Dell or a Mac in a Dell forum ;)

5. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You very much! First of all I dreamed to buy new surface 3 and I asked professionals on surface forums whether they suggest surface 3 for my tasks, but they said no, surface is not for me, and by the way, it was surface forum. http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/surface-3-lte-for-science-sphere-recommended-it-to-me.16045/
    I know that MBP has better performance, but do I need this performance for my tasks, for my programmes. Maybe some people on this MacBook forum use their MacBook 12 for the same tasks and will say me that there are no problems with performance.
    You said the screen is not so big. For me 13 inch MBP is ok, I do not think that there is big difference between 12 and 13. About ports everything ok, I will buy usbc to usb and usbc to vga and usb c flash sandisk.
    And what about the keyboard? What do You mean more natural? I have read a lot of reviews about MacBook 12 and many people said that they type on this keyboard faster than on MBP.

6. tarco0 macrumors newbie

if you were able to perform these tasks 2 years ago, you should be fine with the new macbook
    the processor might be a bit underpowered, but the SSD makes things faster at least for me because I'm coming from a MBP late 2011 i7 with HDD. The screen is great and the weight is mind blowing, it's even lighter than my iPad2
    i like the keyboard better in the rMB, you get used to the key spacing very fast
    the gpu also might be a little underpowered, and sometimes missing control skips a few frames, apparently this will be fixed in El Capitan
    what I love the most, is not hearing the fans anymore, they were driving me crazy in the MBP

7. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

This guy's convinced himself he wants the rmb. So let him buy it. If it doesnt work for his use he presumably has 14 days to return it.

8. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Dear RUGGLES99, I am in Russia, we do not have 14 days return on notebooks. That's why I am on Your forum.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You seem to have your heart set on buying the rMB and came here for validation. The rMB will handle the apps you listed and it will work, given the price, my opinion is that the MacBook Pro is a better use, but that's it, my opinion. If you think it will be ok, then by all means, I'm sure it will be fine.

10. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, my heart set on new MacBook, but if I can't use my programmes on it, of course I will buy MBP 13 mid 2015! Or switch to thinkpad x250

11. aregh macrumors newbie

can anyone share any specific reviews for the rMB performance when using parallel dekstop 10. i haven't come across a really meaningful review.

12. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I use my MacBook 12 for latex, Matlab, Mathematica. However, for heavy duty computations (Matlab/Mathematica) I offload to my iMac, sometimes through remote connection, same thing I did for my MacBook air. If I had only one computer, I'm not sure I would have chosen the MacBook or MacBook air, I would probably have gone for the MacBook pro.

13. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You very much! What do You mean about heavy duty computations? Where is the the dead line for MacBook 12?

14. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

Another type of bias to keep in mind (as well as what you'll find coming to a forum full of people happy to justify their own purchase) is your own bias. You already said that you pretty much were decided on getting a 12" rMB already.. So you're already a little biased yourself. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - it could just mean that really, the small size, extreme portability and retina display are actually very high up on the list of importance for you. So really, unless you find that it really struggles to the point of being unusable for the programs you need for work, you'll probably be a little more forgiving if it's not the fastest machine on earth, for other reasons such as how portable and convenient it is.

Obviously the best test for this is to work with it yourself... so I agree with the other advice given here: Get one, make sure you _really_ test it when it arrives and be prepared to return it if it doesn't live up to your expectations. Pretty sure the 14 day return policy should also be valid in Russia but you never know... I would check first and get a guarantee that you really can do this.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We all are biased, but I think what is different is that I truly do look for the best tool to fit a need. I'm not a fan of the MB, but that doesn't mean its a bad laptop. I also think is an engineering marvel.

I guess what I was trying to get at is, the OP was looking for reasons to justify his mind being made up, even though imo, a more powerful laptop may be a better option.

I think a MB is a great solution when used to compliment an existing computer and/or when traveling is a high need.

The OP is needing some intensive apps that will push the MB a lot, and while they will run, they may not run to the satisfaction of the OP.

Its his money and his decision, he does not need my stamp of approval but he did seem to come into the thread with his mind made up. I'm not knocking him, again its his decision. :)

16. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I run simulations that take days. Those I run on my iMac of course. But in general, if I have computations that take more than a few minutes (say, a complicated integral in Mathematica), I also do it on my iMac. Perhaps the speed is 2-3 times of my MacBook. I guess I could do them on my MacBook.

17. dyn macrumors 68030

The Excel features you mentioned seem to be features that are only available for the Windows version. Excel when used with things like PowerPivot and other business intelligence tools can and usually do require quite a performant computer. Sometimes much more than what a simple MacBook can deliver. Some even need a very powerful workstation like the Mac Pro. That's the problem right there, it is rather difficult to estimate on which end you are and thus something you need to find out for yourself.

However, from what I see on your software list most is Windows software so why the MacBook?

18. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

I agree, I think at the end of the day everyone at least tries to buy the best tools for the purpose we want to use them for. My point I guess was that if you're already somewhat drawn to something, sure some of the time it can be capriciousness and seduction by irrelevant but appealing things. Other times though, if you're honest with yourself, maybe that bias can help you put your true priority list in order. It might turn out that in fact, extreme portability is really the most satisfying change the user wants - which is why he feels so interested in this product. It's possible that they might already have pretty low expectations on what a laptop can do compared to a desktop workstation, so in the end the overall experience could be just about right. On the other hand, it's also true that one could seriously regret choosing something for its promise of being so small and light if it turns out that working with it is a dreadful experience. I suppose in the end its a balance game of really identifying your priorities and balancing that against how well your needs will be met.

19. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You very very much everyone!

Dear Dyn!
    Thank You!
    During my life I was using sony vaio z and after vaio duo series. After Sony started to produce its notebooks in China I went to Apple. So, from 2013 I am using MBP 13 late 2013. And I am really happy with this choice. I use Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 on it. It is the only system I use for my work, because I need this special programmes as You noticed.
    Why Mac You will ask me?
    The best quality, the best keyboards, the best screens. I am typing a lot - about 8 hours a day, I need the best keyboard. I am also using my iphone and apple watch, so I always connect it to my OSx system. It is very easy to have the same OS environment.
    If You say me and tell me which notebook have the same quality, the same best keyboard, I will probably go to this notebook on windows.
    I also read this article about three new business notes (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-O...-X250-vs-Dell-Latitude-12-E7250.144831.0.html). But are they really better than Apple products?
    No - Bad chinese quality, bad keyboards, and screens that burn your eyes.

20. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

No argument that Apple make products with great build quality, that's definitely true. But you do know they're made in China, right?

21. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Of course, I know. But not the "same China" as Lenovo, Dell, HP do and Sony did the last 2 years!

22. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

OK, just wanted to be sure. :)
    It's definitely true that Apple does go an extra step further, from design to construction, to make sure their products are consistently well built compared to most of the rest of the market.

Is there nowhere you can go near where you live to actually try out a rMB? Maybe if there's an Apple Store or an independent dealer nearby, you could try to see if they'll let you install some programs you use on a demo machine and test it out for a while before buying. Could be tricky since you'd need to install Windows right away, in which case it's probably a good idea to buy one and plan to return it (after making sure you really can), so you can see if it works for you or not. It might be hard to give it back after you've had it in your hands for a while because they are very seductive machines... but if it really doesn't keep up for your work, then you should be able to make a rational decision based on that.

23. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My vote goes for a MacBook Pro (retina or not).

More connectivity.

24. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You for Your offer. But there is a problem, we do not have return programs in Russia on notebooks. And they can not put programmes on those MacBooks that are presenting in dealer shops, because they sell them also and it is restricted.

25. viktit88 thread starter macrumors member

MacBook 12 has good connections too especially with different USB-c accessories.