MacBook 12 still have keyboard problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jayonegame, Dec 31, 2015.

1. jayonegame, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015

jayonegame macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I was just wondering if the Macbook 12 still has the keyboard problems that many have reported before. I'm just concerned as if I need to get a replacement or a refund it would be quite a while til I could get to the nearest Bestbuy.
    Edit: Has the battery life also been fixed? I know Apple advertises 9 hours, but I've seen a few users report 6.
    Edit edit: What's up with this battery cycle report? I just checked this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/love-my-new-macbook.1946037/
    So at 266 cycles the general battery life has already dropped 81 percent? Can someone explain or confirm this please.

Thanks!

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I think the jury is still out on all your points, whist some have reported problems many have not, whether these issues are a quality control norm or latent is too early to tell

3. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I just bought a new rMB (and am returning it).

The keyboard is an absolute joy. I'm devastated to be losing it.

The battery life does feel like 6 hours rather than 9.

4. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

I love the keyboard on mine, though after about 6 months of use, the keys seem to have quite a bit of "polish" wear. They still all work perfectly fine, and I've noticed no change in the feel, though the surface of the most commonly used keys has become "polished" from constant use. I'm thinking the materials used to make the keys may not be as robust of a plastic as they could be. The letters are still in tact, the backlighting is still pristine, they just have a little shine to them. These keys pick up grease like magnets, and do require regular de-greasing. I use a cotton terrycloth towel with a couple sprays of "Invisible Glass" glass cleaner; works great. Perhaps hold off on excess moisturizing hand lotion or soap when using the MacBook... sometimes difficult to do in dry winters up north!

5. jayonegame thread starter macrumors newbie

Hasn't the MacBook been out for a while? I just don't want to go all the way back to Bestbuy to get a refund or replacement.

I actually tried out the keyboard at a local Apple Store at one time and I think you and I are the only ones that like shorter travel distances. I love to type on it, but the only issue now is the battery charge cycle decreasing so rapidly and the actual battery life.

6. jayonegame thread starter macrumors newbie

Hasn't the MacBook been out for a while? I just don't want to go all the way back to Bestbuy to get a refund or replacement.

I actually tried out the keyboard at a local Apple Store at one time and I think you and I are the only ones that like shorter travel distances. I love to type on it, but the only issue now is the battery charge cycle decreasing so rapidly and the actual battery life.

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Who knows if like some already more of us will develop sticky or failing keys in the next year or so, the rMB is the 1st product I've ever considered in getting AppleCare for.

Battery cycles is another one to watch for sure

7 hrs seems the norm for simple/casual use endurance

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No keyboard issues on my 1.2, battery so far is "par for the course" with my current & previous MacBook Pro`s. As long as I get reasonable usage out of the battery I am not so concerned given it`s a consumable item, equally have seem some concerning posts on the forum regarding the same.

Q-6

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but if you intend to keep it a while, AppleCare might be a good idea. I had my spacebar give me some problems early on but I fixed it myself and haven't had another issue with it. The battery life varies with use as it does with every single battery powered device made. 9 is certainly possible if not normal for some workflows. My battery generally fluctuates between 90-95% design capacity with 70-some cycles on it. It rarely gets cycled even though I use it heavily every day because I have a couple of usb-A to usb-C cables sitting in the usual spots I use it so it's trivial to plug it in regularly.

10. jayonegame thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I'm on a decent budget, but I found it dumb how we have to buy AppleCare+ just to make sure the keyboard will be fine. It's obviously at a high price end too.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I did not suggest Applecare specifically for the keyboard, but just because laptops are about the only place I suggest buying an extended warranty. Especially if you keep them for 4-5 years it seems like there is a reasonable chance you will utilize that warranty during that period. And unlike Applecare for say the iPhone, the price of a single repair typically far outweighs the cost of the warranty.

12. palpatine macrumors 68040

I always get Applecare. It's like any other extended warranty, except that service is refreshingly friendly, fast, and often better than expected. I've had devices just outright replaced two times. Compare this to PC support, even in warranty periods, that takes weeks to "fix," and often fails to solve the problem (Toshiba, Panasonic, Compaq, and Dell in the past for me). I don't want to get it, but considering the alternative (paying hundreds of dollars to fix something down the line), it's best to just pay and forget about it. By the way, it helps to have AC when reselling.

13. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Whilst I agree apple service repair is 2nd to none make no mistake you pay for this in your purchase price and again with Apple care all of this and the stores etc you pay for and is probably worth it to many :)