Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thiagoft55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Hi, first of all, I'm new to the forums, and actually i dont speak english well, lol.

My question is, I'm going to high school now, and i want to know if it will be more that i need, or if i need something better. :confused:
It will be my first mac, here in Brazil it costs more than 2000$ dollars, the 15" costs 3000+$ dollars, its too expensive and i can get something better with 3000$. So, if the 13" wouldnt be enough for me, i should buy a windows. :(

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Don't buy the 2.66 model if you do buy one, the extra money over the 2.4 isn't worth it. Also there should be an update relatively soon, so you may want to wait. I'm not sure exactly how it works for you, but I really had no need for my own laptop in high school, so I don't know if you really need it, and if so what you need it for.

Thiagoft55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Actually, yes, Im needing a new computer now...
When the new ones will be released?
It takes a month or more to come to Brazil...

Thiagoft55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I dont want to be rude, but my question isnt when i should buy. My question is if it will be more than i need or if i need something better.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I would need some information on what you need to do with it to answer that. If you're going to be mostly browsing the internet, listening to iTunes, and writing papers, then it would make no difference if you bought now or waited. The current model will do anything you throw at it, it just won't be quite as fast as the next one if you're doing something like HD video editing.

So, most likely it will be more than you need

Thiagoft55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, ill browse on internet, itunes, microsoft office (or iWork is better?), and i want to play in N64 emulators.. just it.
13" is too small??

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Yeah, ill browse on internet, itunes, microsoft office (or iWork is better?), and i want to play in N64 emulators.. just it.
13" is too small??

I'd go with office. I have office 11, and it's pretty nice, with far fewer compatibility issues than iWork. The 13" would be perfectly fine for all of that, and I really don't find my 13" to be too small, although I do have a separate monitor, which is nice.

Gok

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
Dude, in my point of view don't even go for Pro. Macbook Air will be more than enough for web browsing and stuff and it's lighter than ever! And it is cheaper in some versions.

Thiagoft55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Same price over here. Pro should be better than air, I guess. And remember, i want to play some games, like sim city and n64 emulators, Air will run these games well? I dont think so.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
The air can run those games, since it uses the sam gpu. The difference the processor will have in those games is minimal. Although, Id suggest to just go with the pro.

Thiagoft55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Im just in doubt if i should wait for new macbook pro... 'cause ill buy another computer after 3 years...

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Im just in doubt if i should wait for new macbook pro... 'cause ill buy another computer after 3 years...

Welcome to everyone's problem. :D It's hard to judge. When they will be announced, no one really knows.

MacRumors keeps a guide as to the likelihood of an update.

If this computer is going to last you three years, a few months longer to wait may be worth it.

Here's the MacRumors buying guide link.

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro_Buyer's_Guide

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Buy now; it will do everything you do now and more. You can simultaneously run iTunes, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype, Internet Browsers, FB, AIM, and more at the same time with great speed.

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
I've got the 13" Pro 2010, and it works great.

I actually prefer iWork to Office, just because it seems faster and easier to use. However, if compatibility is an issue, go with Office. I have both, just in case.

I would stick with the 2.4 GHz, and use the money you save to buy an SSD, after market. It will offer a vast improvement in speed.

nospeed411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2010
east coast
Actually your best choice is to go with an Apple refurb. Gets the same warranty as a new one and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Plus you can save yourself a hundred bucks. Buy it now...you wont be disappointed . The new refresh will offer no noticeable improvement for the average everyday user.

Thiagoft55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Apple doesnt sell refurb. products here =/
and SSD is overpriced here.
I think ill buy it now, im really needing a computer...
Ill go with 2,66..
Just one more thing, it will run photoshop well?
And its hard to upgrade RAM? And change the HDD by myself?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My MBP13 runs Photoshop fine with a 2.4GHz CPU, only thing is it is very nice to have an external monitor. But I don't do much photoshop on the go, so I prefer the easier portability of the 13.

Have you thought through just why you need the slightly faster CPU? Given how much it costs to choose the 2.66 over the 2.4, I don't think it's worth it outside of very special usage circumstances. Here it is $300 to upgrade; BEST case you'd see a 10% gain on CPU speed in tasks that are pegging the cpu at 100% -- but in my usage I'm rarely really stressing the CPU so I'd see no substantive gain.

Upgrading RAM and changing HDD are very easy. Ensure you have appropriate tools; #00 Phillips and #6 Torx screwdrivers. Get decent quality tools; cheap tools cost far more in repairing the things they mess up than you save over buying good tools to begin with.

Thiagoft55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
2.66 costs 2200 dollars here. 2.4 costs 1750$. I have 2500$ for buy a computer, so i want to get the best with this money.
I think it ll be enough for me.
U think im doing right, buying it now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.