macbook 2.2 exchange for 2.4? 5 days old!!!! not far!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gregdrummeraz, Mar 2, 2008.

1. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I bought a macbook 2.2Ghz on the 17th and the updates happened so... could I take it in there and exchange?

I heard yes from them but then they want MORE money. should I just throw a fit and complain and apple will fall for it?

whats some advice?:(

anything will help greatly!

2. sculptor macrumors newbie

I would! It would be well worth it.

.......Curtis

3. rogair macrumors member

Way to go about this in a mature manner.

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

You don't really give too many details like where you bought your Macbook or whether the "extra money" means a restocking fee.

You really don't have to "throw a fit". If it's a reputable retailer or even an Apple store, just ask them nicely. Tell them your circumstance and get them to work with you. Ask for a manager if necessary.

I was in the same position and upgraded my Macbook to the 2.4 Penryn version. It's definitely worth doing the upgrade. The new Macbook is a little faster and runs cooler. If you still can't get out of the restocking fee, it's your call if the extra money is worth it.

5. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

honestly, no one is ever happy with their purchase, they never want to settle for what they bought.

I bought my 2.16 and a short time later, the 2.2's came out, did I feel the need to go back and throw a fit to get a .04 mhz boost?

No.

an extra .2 mhz won't be the end all, amazing computer upgrade ever. hell you won't even notice it.

why even contemplate it?

6. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

ok ok ok..

yeah they want me to pay a restocking fee.. I just do not think it is fair because "I" Made this HUGE mistake of not waiting 5 days for something I did have no power or knowledge of. I jut think I will be like hey I already gave you like 1500 5 days before, couldnt you waive the restocking fee for someone who did not know about this. I just think it is unfait. it is practically brand new!

what do you reccomend?

and it was purchased at the apple store BILTMORE, AZ

7. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want what I thought I was buying, the latest and greatest.. days to early, or late. I just want what i THOUGHT I was paying

8. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

Aaaaaaallllllllsoooooooo

there is another 1GB and more battery life and another 40GB on the drive. I think I would notice when those were desired!

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Okay man, your first line of the quote says it all. "I Made this HUGE mistake". You can't hold this against anyone and I will tell you first hand since I've worked in retail that throwing a fit will get YOU and your fit thrown out. Stores do not bend over backwards for loud-mouthed customers, if anything it gives them more of a reason to stick to their policies.
    If you really want the new updated model just go in and ask nicely and don't say things like, "I didn't know there would be a new model coming out". The Apple store has already heard this sob story so many times.
    If they require a restocking fee either pay it and get what you want or take your existing machine home.

You have to understand that you are costing the store money by returning opened merchandise because they can no longer sell it as new. They don't charge restocking fees for unopened merchandise because they can sell it to the next customer that walks up.

Do what you need to do but you have no just cause to hold the store or Apple accountable for your own purchase decisions. Just seeing you here on MR proves that you had to know something about upcoming updates in the MB. If you spend more than 5 minutes on MR there's no way you could've missed it.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

When you say "throwing a fit"...

are you talking about flopping on the ground and kicking your legs wildly sort of FIT? LOL! It's best to get in there early, 'cause I think a bunch of us already beat you to the punch. I think the closer you were to the release date of the New MacBooks, the more likely you'll be able to exchange your MB 2.2 for a newer MB 2.4. But, understand that they are doing you a favor and they would definitely want to keep your business. It's probably to your benefit, if you already have a relationship with the Apple Store that you would be visiting for the exchange. In my situation, I've bought two iPhones, three macbooks, a Mac Pro, one cinema display and three iPods from that one Apple Store, so I've conducted almost all my Apple business at the one store. Either way, good luck and enjoy whatever you buy or already have. :cool:

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

In your case (especially since you have not made any upgrades).

For a $120 or $130 restocking fee, you get 1GB more RAM (usually costs $30-35 if onsale at bestbuy), plus you get a bump in hard drive space (120GB to 160GB; that would have cost you an additional $75 on apple.com to upgrade with your current macbook).

So even paying that restocking fee is worth it in your case since you get a slightly upgraded processor, double the RAM and 40GB more in space.

I would do it in your case. Yeah it sucks since you got it on the 17th but that's the game with technology. You better do it sooner than later because who knows after your 14 day return policy whether they would even want to take it back.

12. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

I am generally just mad! I just wanted what I thought I was getting. Like I said, latest and greatest!

I caled apple APPLE and they say that depending on the store they may waive the fee depending on the circumstances, mine being on the good side!

I just want this to work out, even if I just get the money($300) they offered, then I guess that is fine, I will just buy 2 gigs of ram. and 40 gig HD I guess I could wait until I ned it.. later.

pray for me!:)
    PEACE

13. coltks2004 macrumors newbie

I just got the 2.2ghz macbook a couple of weeks before the new ones were released and I'm glad that I didn't wait for the new ones. I got this one for $1300 because the store was closing. I upgraded to 4 gigs of ram, 2 gigs just isn't enough anymore. I'm also going to install a bigger hd when I need it. 250 isn't the biggest there is why complain about it? The average user will not see any speed increase with the new processor. Why complain about something that happens all the time. The new 2.4ghz macbook is already out of date, and how do you know that next Tuesday apple won't release an upgrade? I've seen 3 or 4 upgrades in a matter of months before. Its technology and you should be happy with what you bought. You were happy when you bought it.

14. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You got exactly what you paid for. No on cheated or stole from you. The product in the stores now WASN'T THERE when you purchased your machine. Therefore, they owe you NOTHING.

Do you go back to the dealership one year after purchasing your car because they came out with a new model? No. Get your head on straight and stop thinking illogically.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

Just because you didn't do your homework doesn't mean that they should give you a new computer just for complaining. There were many rumors about this update. If you were happy with your purchase the day that you bought it, what's the difference now? It still works the same.

Welcome to the world of technology. Updates and price drops happen. It is fair. Because if they played the game your way, they would never be able to upgrade the specs on their computers because the person who purchased the system the day before would require a free upgrade. Nobody owes you anything as long as your current system is problem free.

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

It was pretty obvious Apple would be coming out with the MBP update.

So what happened to all the "go ahead and get it, theres always a new machine
    around the corner!"

Unless there is, huh?

17. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

they are offering me 300 which I will gladly take! I will spend 20 bux for the 2GB of ram. and like I said. HD is fine

dont welcome me to technology, I have been at it for years! :rolleyes:

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No jokes, but at the time of your purchase what you were getting WAS the latest and greatest Apple offered. You really don't deserve to have the restocking fee waived and if you do get it waived be happy and don't come back bragging about it. You talk about "fair", it's not fair that you get your way everytime you cry.

19. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

If you purchased the Macbook on the 17th, your 14 day return window ended today.

macbook 2.2 exchange for 2.4? 5 days old!!!! not far!

The new Macbooks came out on the 26th, So actually your computer was 10 days old on its release.

20. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah well!

You expected them to release that new model. 1 year later! I did not expect this!

21. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

wel...

Said I could come tomorrow, so I will try.

22. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Actually it's .04 Ghz more not Mhz. it would be 40 Mhz, but I do agree.

23. coltks2004 macrumors newbie

Some people should just stick to PCs. I think apples commercials talking about using a PC are really them trying to say that stupid people should not use mac.

24. gregdrummeraz thread starter macrumors 6502

what are you trying to get at. I switched to make 3 computers ago. this is just an oppurtunity i would like to take!!! maybe you need a PC.. colts suck!

25. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

the stream of idiots in this place just doesn't stop. What do they owe you, again? please go ahead and throw a fit in the store. i look forward to seeing the footage on the next NUTTERS ON CAMERA type show.