MacBook 2006 battery problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NessMudkip, Nov 14, 2010.

1. NessMudkip macrumors newbie

NessMudkip

I just bought a MacBook 2006 model from eBay (1.83Ghz, 1GB RAM). Its a great laptop, but the only problem is that it only runs off the mains power. Before I go and buy new parts, I just wanted to know what the problem could be. It has the classic "black x" battery in the menu bar. The seller told me that the problem was not the actual battery so I just want to know what the problem could be. Please note - I have already tried reseting the SMU. Thanks in advance.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The battery is dead; it won't hold a charge.
    They can only be recharged a certain amount of times.

3. BigTroll macrumors member

unfortunately many macbooks suffer from not being able to recognize the battery,something on the logicboard fails and it wont even charge a new battery, best thing is to try and find someone else with a good macbook battery and test your machine accordingly

4. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

battery is dead go to apple spend 129.00 and get a new one. I would not buy after market battery.

5. REP4BLACKXMACS macrumors newbie

Black X

Hey, it's most likely a prematurely faulty Logic Board.

See my post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1051017

So many people have had this happen and Apple needs to offer a Repair Extension Program. Otherwise people will continue to pass the buck selling these garbage Macbooks on eBay, CL, etc.