MacBook 5 days old - "Transition model?" therefore iLife '08 for free?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paulobrad, Aug 7, 2007.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

Hi,

I've heard in the past people have bought MacBooks days before a revision in spec and they can upgrade for free as they are classed as "Transition models", only got my new MacBook from AppleStore 5 days ago and wondered what the chances were I could get hold of iLife '08 gratis as they are shipping with them for free from today?

Opinions? Thanks.

2. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

You can give it a try, but I doubt that they'll accomodate. Even the Up-To-Date program (http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/) requires that you were to have bought a Mac after the announcement to get iLife '08, and that's not even free.

3. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

I would say a definite yes. I just walked in showed my reciept (bought 2 days ago)

I walked out with a free copy.

4. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

Really?? Was that an official Apple Store or a reseller? Where they pretty happy with it or did it take some persuasion?

Cheers.

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

What Are You Asking Us For? Go Ahead And Try.

Doesn't hurt to ask for a supervisor if the first person won't help you. Why are you asking us instead of the store? What are you waiting for?

6. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in the UK, not many Apple Store's here and my local reseller probably won't be as accommodating so interesting to know if others had success. Thanks for the help.

7. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

A quick update, just rang Apple Support here in the UK and was basically told to sod off at any expectation of getting free iLife 08 on my Mac that I received last Friday. "No transition model policy at the moment" or something to that effect. Humph.

8. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

There is also the question of why buy an Apple product days before a major Apple Media Event?

9. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Two reasons, actually.

1) Not everybody spends every waking hour on MacRumors and knows about every single media event.

2) The poster bought a MacBook and it was safe to assume that the product wouldn't be updated since it was recently enhanced. And such was the case.

10. ghuyt1 macrumors newbie

If I were you I would consider returning the mac book and getting a new one. I have known a few people who have done this at the Apple Store and always end up getting the updates for free.

11. Raska macrumors 6502

I called Apple twice last night and once this morning (one was for an order correction, apparently they released a new wireless mighty mouse yesterday). My MBP isn't to ship until 8/15 the earliest, and I was told every time I called that I would be receiving iLife '08 with my MBP. I had them both add notes to my order so there was at least some evidence they told me that. I also got a $20 credit for the "hassle" of being sent the new wireless mighty mouse, so if my MBP comes with iLife 08, I'll be very happy indeed :)

12. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

Spot on, I was pretty certain there would be no hardware updates which would have been a real bummer and to be honest, not having iLife08 isn't exactly the end of my world, just worth a try if Apple are prepared to dish it out if you ask.

13. guitarguy2789 macrumors newbie

I called apple yesterday about iLife and they told me no problem and added it to my order for free... I ordered my macbook online Friday night and wouldn't receive it until this Friday however

14. Raska macrumors 6502

Did it appear on your order status online?

15. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

that's all real interesting...i called yesterday as well and after being on hold for roughly 10 minutes for the rep to get the "correct" information, she said I had to buy before I could get it since my laptop did not qualify. i ordered my MBP on friday, but cancelled and reorded on Monday to get the glossy screen.

I'm just hoping when it arrives that I have an iLife '08 dvd inside...heres to hoping.

16. Andy9589 macrumors newbie

As long as you put in your serial number and purchase date as August 7, 2007 it will add the 9.95 upgrade to your cart if you use the above link.

17. Raska macrumors 6502

I just called yet again (haha) after reading everything. I was on hold for 20 minutes, finally got a CSR who explained in GREAT detail what is going on. She said all stock models of Macs ordered before 8/7 would get iLife 06 with no chance to upgrade for free or the $9.95. Anyone who ordered a CTO a few days before the iLife 08 release (she would not give me an exact date or number of days back) would either have iLife 08 on it already, or be able to use the $9.95 iLife 08 upgrade download.

18. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

:mad:

I ordered my mbp on July 25. Didn't ship until August 6th.
    Apple doesn't bill your credit card until they ship it.
    It would makes sense to me then, that I should get a $10 upgrade since technically I didn't buy my laptop until the 6th (Credit card not billed until then). I called Apple ADC and they wouldn't budge on an upgrade.

Any suggestions?

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

unfortuantely, the 6th doesn't qualify as you would have had to be billed on the 7th to qualify

is it a stock model? if so, tell them you want to return it (don't open it or you will have to pay a restocking fee). But if it's CTO then you're probably out of luck

20. Raska macrumors 6502

Call regular customer service and deal with them. I ordered my MBP through Student ADC but Apple's regular Customer Service is able to help you. You might have problems with it though since it actually shipped the day before iLife 08 came out.

21. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

So I called Apple and nobody seems to be able to answer my questions. i have been tranfered 6 times! I have been on the phone for over 45 minutes!

I've been transfered back to the first prompt now and I don't know what to do!

Anyone have any pointers?

22. Raska macrumors 6502

Quickest way to get to someone is after the guy finishes about the Back to School promotion, press 3, then 2, it will put you in queue for a CSR.

23. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

I love Apple Support

:D:apple::D:apple::D

Just after I put in my last post, I was transfered to Sales Support, who wanted to help me but had to transfer me to ADC. There I spoke to Elizabeth, who told me that I don't qualify for an update.... but, she is going to send ilife08 to me free of charge--and it will be sent by next day delivery--FREE !!
    :D:cool::D::cool:

I love :apple:

Note: She did say that normally that she wouldn't do this , but was making an exception.

So I guess being polite and logical with my inquiry paid off :D

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help her on the forums.
    I will have both my new MBP and a copy of ilife08 tomorrow!

Good luck to everyoe else battling with their upgrade.

24. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I will always wait until AFTER the Apple event, no matter what is rumored to be announced.

25. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

As some other posters have said, being polite and kind is often helpful, as is talking to a supervisor... :D