Macbook Air 11" Refurbished Box Dimensions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ps81, Jul 10, 2012.

1. ps81 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have just purchased an 11-inch Macbook Air (late 2011) through the Apple Store refurbished section.

I am going to be mailing it onwards as a gift and was wondering if anyone who has purchased the same item and still has the packaging could tell me the dimensions of the refurbished box that the MBA 11" comes in. It won't be here for a couple of weeks and I am trying to prepare boxes etc. in advance. I have seen some "unboxing" videos on youtube but they don't state the dimensions of the box, although I can see the packing foam etc. I would like to use the same box for onward mailing but if it is too scuffed etc. I would need to purchase a new mailing box and want to make sure that the foam protectors will fit snugly.

thanks a bunch,
    Peter

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I believe they use the same packaging as a new MBA.

3. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

It should be the same dimensions as a brand new MBA.

4. ps81, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

ps81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the packaging might be different. From the few refurbished purchases I have made and what I have seen/heard from others, they do not come in retail packaging. For the MBA 11" the image on the left here shows retail packaging and the right shows refurbished packaging. Basically, the refurbished items tend not to have the fancy retail boxes because the original purchaser or retailer who used/displayed the item discarded them and you forgo that aspect of the buying experience as a trade off for your refurb discount.

The foamy holders on the refurbished item appear to add a bit of extra room, whereas the retail box more or less matches the dimensions of the MBA itself.

Attached Files:

5. KPOM macrumors G5

The packaging is different. Refurbished units don't ship in the fancy boxes the way new units do. Instead, Apple ships them in larger white shipping boxes with foam padding on the inside. I purchased a refurbished Mac a few years ago. While I don't remember, the exact size, it was slightly larger than the shipping box that the new MacBook Air is packed into.