MacBook Air 11" Torture Test

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by IPlayFair, Jul 28, 2012.

1. IPlayFair macrumors member

Interesting demonstration over at CNET testing the durability of the 11" Macbook Air. See HERE

2. KPOM macrumors G5

That sounds about right. I knew from experience that it wouldn't pass the liquid test. The hardiest Apple device seems to be the iPad. It passed the same test with flying colors.

3. green junkie macrumors newbie

If it works only while plugged in, doesn't that point to a safety on the battery opening up.
    The one thing she should of also done was use it see if all the files on the SSD where still there. See if the track pad was still accurate.

4. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

How can they say that it failed the water test? Could just be the battery that shorted out. I would say if you spill water on your laptop and then leave it in a pool of water for half a min it survives if it starts. Slap a new battery in there and it might work as before.

5. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Someone should explain to her she needs to let go of the power button for it to actually turn on. The longer she keeps her finger on the power button, the longer she's delaying the actual turning on.

6. green junkie macrumors newbie

I bet that is the reason why it didn't start up after the freezer test. I think she long pressed it twice. I can not think of an reason why it act that way after 2 hours in the freezer....

7. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Yeah and same with the heat test. As soon as she let go it turned on, but she held her finger there for at least 15 seconds prior.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

She also took her time before turning it off after the water test. That said, the MacBook Air is very sensitive to water. I wouldn't mind if they put a water-resistant membrane under the keyboard the way some other manufacturers do. However, that would probably add to the thickness so I don't see them doing that.

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's a non-removable battery. It's entirely fair.

10. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

No it's not, the battery can still be replaced if that is broken.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Nonetheless, it is something that requires a repair.

12. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Yeah, but saying the computer did not survive is clearly not correct. The computer works as before when plugged in and you can fix the battery with a cost which is far less than what a replacement computer would cost. And since they had created gaps at the sides before with all the dropping you cannot draw any conclusion from the test anyhow. If they are gonna do tests they could at least be a little bit scientific about their methods.

13. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Exactly what I thought when watching the video...

14. KPOM macrumors G5

True. Sometimes trying to be "real life" has its limits. An undamaged MacBook Air may have fared a bit better, although a lot of water entered in from the top.

That said, up until then, it was working without requiring repairs (cosmetic issues aside). After the water test, it required a repair to function as a notebook (since it assumes the ability to work without being plugged in).

15. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

For me the dent is far worse than the battery, the battery is easily repairable while the dent is not. For me the notion of a laptop "surviving" a test is based a bit on how it breaks. I mean the battery is basically a use and replace part of the computer, if you keep it for 4 years you'll most likely replace the battery anyhow. You wouldn't say your Mac didn't survive for 4 years due to your battery getting crappy.

16. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I watched the video with iPad.

The iPad falls on the back - "The screen is not cracked!"
    "Let's turn it off" - hit the sleep button
    ...after touching the home button - "Ohhh... it already turned itself on!"

17. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

The freezer effects how the battery works. The colder it gets slows down the electron flow of the battery keeping it from working. Once it gets to room temperature it should work normally.

18. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Her husband is going to be pissed when he gets home and sees what she did to his work computer.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Cool to see the durability of the Macbook Air but I must be honest and say that most of the tests had their expected results. She got lucky with the water though, and could've possibly cracked the screen on those drops from the table and car.

she got lucky in the video, but if you did that in real life, you would've most certainly destroyed it.
    if you drop it in the video or at your house, the damage will be similar that it will dent. but if you both spill water, the damage may or may not be similar - the case of a working laptop

20. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

As long as it didn't short out before you turn it off most electronics will work after drying out properly. You can bet there's gonna be much problems in the future since you most likely got salts and a number of things that can cause corrosion in the computer, but short term you can usually get stuff working.

21. green junkie macrumors newbie

Curious I got an 2010 Macbook, when I long press the power button it forces it self off. Does the Air have this feature too?

22. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, it's the same.

23. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

Lol, and your hypothesis is?

----------

Although sturdy and well designed, the MBA is a very precious device, and I cannot ever imagine abusing such a beautiful device and desecrating it, the way it was done in the video :(

24. million7 macrumors regular

I agree with you, i would never be so careless with my air like that.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

She's divorced. :)