MacBook Air 13" owner is going to get a MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henry72, Sep 20, 2011.

1. henry72, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

First of all, I'm a university student.

I sold my MacBook Air 2010 (128GB SSD, 4GB Ram) last month to my mate. I was looking for a 27" iMac, however there is too many problems with the iMac and I need the mobility as well :) I'm also an owner of the iPad 2, so I will bring my iPad to the lectures most of the time.

There are quite a lot people post how powerful their MacBook Air are. Yes, I owned one, it is quite powerful. However, I need a more powerful laptop to get things done like Aperture.

1. Do guys think is crazy to do that? Anyone did that?

When I looked at the spec of the 15", QC :eek: high end 2.2GHz + 1GB GPU, WOW amazing. :D I will get the High-res screen + 8GB Ram (Not from Apple) as well. Plus, I need the internal storage 750GB, I'm sick of plugging an external hard drive (I don't want to use the optibay to add another hard drive because is not protected by SMS :( and I don't want to modify it.

2. Since I'm used to the speed of a SSD, do you think a normal hard disk would be a big problem to me? I don't care about the boot up speed, I put it on sleep all the time anyway.

3. MacBook Pro 15" 2011 owner, is it running quite hot most of the time? Like doing tasks like web suring and iTunes. I did a research, some say yes, some say no. :confused:

4. What kind of brand would you get regrading to the Ram?

Thanks guys :)

2. BLOCKMONSTER macrumors member

1. Do guys think is crazy to do that? Anyone did that?

No. Even the base MBP 15" is quite powerful.

2. Since I'm used to the speed of a SSD, do you think a normal hard disk would be a big problem to me? I don't care about the boot up speed, I put it on sleep all the time anyway.

Depends how much data you were accessing. I wouldnt go back to a reg hdd.

3. MacBook Pro 15" 2011 owner, is it running quite hot most of the time? Like doing tasks like web suring and iTunes. I did a research, some say yes, some say no.

I have mine sitting on an mstand. I havent noticed it get hot at all. The only time I hear the fans is when im in Windows7.

4. What kind of brand would you get regrading to the Ram?

Any big name brands would do and dont spend more than 50$ for 8GB. I got G-Skill and have been very happy with it.

3. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

Thanks for your reply.

Regrading to the hard disk, I really don't know what to do since I don't like having to plug an external hard drive when I'm editing my photos or iTunes. I might get an OCZ SSD? good idea? when I think is too slow.

I'm looking for Kingston. Is G-Skill a new brand? I might consider that as well. The price are very similar :)

4. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

OCZ is always a bad idea. I would go for either the samsung 470, crucial m4, or intel 320

regarding the ram, it doesnt matter.

5. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

Thanks for your advice :)
    What about Intel SSD 510? The report says that it is most reliable SSD :confused:

6. dzigg macrumors member

I think you'll miss that SSD.. I know I did when using a friend laptop that uses HDD.. SSD spoils you unfortunately.. lol

So definitely upgrade to SSD, or loose the optical drive and replace it with SSD so you can keep the HDD for data..

7. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

So true. I would like to try it myself first since I don't really care about the startup time. I think I can wait a bit long for the apps to start because I can put all my photos inside the 750GB HDD :) I don't know for sure.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm having exactly zero issues with my OCZ Vertex 3. Crazy fast performance, but no issues. I feel that combo is a pretty good idea...

9. Minhthien macrumors 6502

The SSD from Kingston Hyper X looks pretty sweet so far!

10. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

Once again. OCZ users are quite extreme, some love it others hate it :confused:
    I need a balance of both performance and relibiity :(

Anyway, I'm not worry about that at the moment because I'm not going to upgrade it until I think next year maybe.I mean I can't afford it at the moment anyway

11. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

its the same controller as the m4, so get the cheaper one, the m4

the problem is that sandforce controllers are always unreliable, and have several issues, including, BSODS, wake from sleep issues, hang on read and write scenarios, and several more.

I do use a f120 which is based on the previous controllers, until I got the mbp I hated this drive, simple as that, I had all the possible issues that all the sandforce users could have.

12. Gurutech macrumors 6502

If you want the most reliable SSD, pick Samsung's

13. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

Thanks for your advice :)

14. redkamel macrumors 6502

Re: HD size

switch your library to referenced. Store all the stuff you don't edit on a day to day basis on an external HD. Store the stuff you are working on (I would assume about 20-30gb of photos) on your SSD. Store all previews on your SSD.

I do that with mine. I have a 256 HD, 100gb free (~60gb music, ~1gb docs +vids and pics). My aperture library, normally 112 gb, is 12gb as previews only. When I go shoot, I put the project on my laptop, edit, generate previews, then store the original files on an HD since I am done editing. The previews are still there for email, wallpapers, etc etc. Just drag them out as jpegs.

With thunderbolt, this type of system will be even more feasible since you won't be limited by USB2 when you want to edit your referenced files on the external.

tl;dr: I recommend you get the SSD, switch to referenced files workflow, and get a thunderbolt drive when they become affordable.

15. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

Thanks for your advice. I might just put all my libraries into an external drive. I will get a Thunderbolt external hard drive if the drop price to like $2xx