macbook air 2013 questions, please reply!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by reagan96, Sep 1, 2013.

1. reagan96 macrumors newbie

hi :) i am a slightly hardcore gamer. I was wondering, exactly how hot does the air get? does it get hot with every game? i tend to be a very sensitive player and by some heat from the keyboard i get very annoyed. did i make the right choice when i ordered this? i checked up on the games it could run which was pretty nice. I stupidly did not recognize the possibilities of heat. my macbook has not yet arrived, and was wondering if i should return it as soon as possible for a different laptop. sadly, this is the only problem. i have read many people that say the temperature reaches up to 95 degrees. No matter what anyone says, is obviously not something that should be good for any computer. please, put your opinion about this and how your computer has been as i could not find enough info about this computer, and is my only concern with it. (btw its a 2013 model) (first post :D)

----------

bump

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Just receive it. Play a game on it. Then, if necessary, return it.

3. reagan96 thread starter macrumors newbie

you're allowed to return macbooks after opening it...?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, within a 14-day period. However, there will be a fee (usual in expensive electronics).

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I can't see where you purchased but probably no fee.

6. reagan96 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont think so, the return policy says nothing opened can be returned :\

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Apple and Best Buy accept returns with no restocking fee. Looks like you ordered from the wrong place.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Where did you buy it from?

9. reagan96 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

From where? What vendor?

11. reagan96 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh lol my bad, the apple store

----------

im still hoping the air wont get too hot :x everything else about it seems great.... plus ill have to wait another week until it reaches apple if i do end up being able to return it for my money

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You can return it within 14 days, same as the Apple retail store. Contact Apple for details and instructions.

13. reagan96 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

The Apple Store charges no restocking/return fees. Just return within 14 days of purchase (the day it is delivered to your door).

As ntrigue mentioned, play the game you want, and if you get excessive heat, return it. You can always wait for the next Retina MacBook Pro, which will probably have more powerful specs, if you want to do more intensive gaming.

15. reagan96 thread starter macrumors newbie

i would, but the problem is that the pro costs way too much money for me... T.T

16. Judith123 macrumors member

Online? Generally speaking, the guarantee day is 7 days at least. It seems that a big difference.:cool:

17. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Don't get a Macbook Air if you're a serious gamer looking for gaming experience.

You need to get a machine with dedicated graphics, and one with more power. And of course, a machine that comes with windows is recommended for any serious gamer.

You can of course get the Air, and spend another $100 on windows 8 and run bootcamp, or spend an additional $80 to get parallels 9...

Or of course, stick to native OSX games.

Yea, but as a hardcore gamer you ought to know that going with integrated graphics in 2013 is just asking for trouble. Not to mention, the Air screen isn't even full HD.

Plus, you would have only 128 or 256GB space which is little for a hardcore gamer. And the SSD does you no benefit really for gaming, not for the price you're paying.

Consider getting an alternate gaming laptop if you can.

My honest advice really.

And with say...a Samsung machine - you'll get 2 years warranty as well - VS apple's 1 year... before you have to drop an additional 2-300 bucks for extended coverage.

Good luck!

18. lamboman macrumors 6502

As AXs said, if you're looking for a gaming machine I don't know why you'd go for the Air - there are better notebooks for the job that can be bought for less money. As an overall package the Air lovely, however if the primary purpose is gaming, I'd be focusing more on abilities in that area.

19. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

The Air is a capable gaming machine, as long as you do not mind low-medium settings (other than SimCity 2013, that game is CRAP)

The MBA does get quite toasty though! I have played Diablo 3, SimCity and Sims. Fans always kick in and the comp gets hot.

20. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Why not get a 2012 version of the MBP? Considering a new MBA from Apple is at least $1099, for around the same price you can get the previous generation MBA. Check Craigslist or eBay -- or even the refurb Apple store.

Besides, once the new Haswell MBPs come out, the prices will drop even further.