Macbook air 2018 screen brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SoApple, Nov 7, 2018 at 8:31 AM.

1. SoApple macrumors regular

Any new owners want to comment on the 2018 air screen brightness. Is it an issue as some reviews have pointed out (doesn’t get bright enough).

2. raqball macrumors 68000

Picking mine up later from the Apple Store so I'll let you know. This is a massive concern for me so It's def something I'll be paying attention to....

3. peckerhead macrumors member

peckerhead

It seems plenty bright enough in my opinion, although I've only used it indoors so far. I've been using it about 4 bars below the max.

4. raqball macrumors 68000

That's encouraging... Store not open here yet and I have not got pick up email so I assume mine won't be ready until 11AM or so.... Hopeful the brightness level is doable...

5. peckerhead macrumors member

peckerhead

Honestly, I think it will be a non-issue for the majority of people.

6. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

Good to hear of actual reports of this being really a non-issue. Thanks everyone for chiming in. :)

7. pjmurphy, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 10:59 AM

pjmurphy macrumors newbie

I picked mine up this morning from Best Buy and the brightness is noticeably lower to me. I’m coming from a 2016 MacBook Pro 13 and there’s definitely a difference. I may get used to it but I can’t un-see it now LOL

Added photo - full brightness

Attached Files:

8. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Isn't the NIT value (300) on the Air the same as the 2015 MBP (303)? If so, I can't imagine it being a bad screen. I'm typing this right now on my 15" 2015 MBP and the screen is pretty terrific in my opinion. Plenty bright. My new Air comes in sometime today, so I'll know more by end of day.

9. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

No issues with mine, but I'm using mine in the office indoors. I think it'll only be an issue if you sit by a window with a lot of light coming in.

10. puma1552 macrumors 603

seems absurd we still have to wonder about screen brightness in 2018, let alone on a machine in the $1500-$2k range...

11. Howard2k macrumors 65816

Howard2k

Yeah that's my understanding too. I typically run my 2015 on about 4 dots (perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 brightness). Just turned it up to fill brightness for a laugh - might need to run to the car and grab my sunglasses.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:45 AM ---

People always need something to complain about. :D

12. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

I have a 2016 MacBook 12" and just received the new MacBook Air. Two things bothering me with the new display on the MacBook Air:
    • dimmer screen vs. MacBook 12" or MBP
    • standard 1440x900 resolution looks crisper on the MacBook 12"

The other item I'm slightly disappointed with: when enabled, the silent clicking option on the Air doesn't make any appreciable difference in sound.

Air might be going back, although I really want it to work. I like the larger screen size and TouchID, along with the 3rd gen butterfly keyboard. Going to give it another day or two before making a decision...

13. raqball macrumors 68000

Same... I am going to give mine the full 2 weeks though.. The screen brightness is without a doubt ---> Meh!

14. Ma2k5 macrumors 68000

Ma2k5

I’m really surprised that there is a noticeable different in screen brightness between the two. I expected them to be the same panel at different sizes, even Apples specs have both at 300 nit. Guessing you are using these side by side so it’s not an ambient light issue some have mentioned in this forum?

15. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

Hmmm, it looks like the MBA has a greenish tinge to it compared to the MBP, which makes the MBA look a bit dull in comparison. The MBP is more vibrant with whiter whites with a nice balance of blue and red tones. The MBA is heavy on the green. I had a 5K iMac with this green leaning tinge, and calibrating helped a bit, but didn't correct it, so I returned it. I don't know who the manufacturer is behind these greenish displays, but it's as if they've reduced the amount of blue/red at the pixel level, which makes the displays look inherently duller (to my eyes).

16. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

I literally compared side by side, browsing the same exact web pages and other apps to compare the two displays. Based on third party testing, nits are higher on the 12" MacBook than the new MacBook Air, and it shows. A real bummer.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:14 PM ---
    Yeah, same takeaway for me, when comparing the 12" MacBook to the new MacBook Air. Blah.

17. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Bummer. Makes me wonder if Apple went with a cheaper display manufacturer to cut costs and improve their margins. Or, and hopefully it's this one: this first run of Airs has a bad batch of displays, which means Apple will hopefully correct the problem on their assembly line, and exchange any units that are not up to their high quality display standards.

18. triangletechie macrumors regular

I picked up the 256 SG at Best Buy today and it's plenty bright to me. I've also used the '17 MBP and MB and this display will be fine for most people. If you want the absolute best screen, then you'll need to spend a few hundred more. But to me, the display works very well.

19. Big Apple macrumors member

I compared my MBA to my 2013 MBP and thought it looked just a little dimmer but then remembered the yellow tint issue people have had in the past. I went in and calibrated and it seemed to make a difference. I'll compare them again tomorrow and see.

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I'm quite pleased with the brightness so far. In fact, its much better than the 2012 cMBP I've been using all these years. :p

21. Wags macrumors 6502a

Looks yellow. Is that result of brightness?
    ‘Entry level machine’ that cost almost the same as MBP with less quality. Designed that way. Ug.

22. cynics macrumors G4

I think there is some confusion here (maybe I’m mistaken though).

Nits aren’t a good measurement when referencing perceived brightness by the human eye. Specifically the human eye too, keep in mind this all an illusion....3 colors are tricking the brain into seeing all colors including white due to the way the rods and cones work in the human eye.

Depth of color space has a specific effect (HR effect I believe, google that for more details). But wider color space appears dimmer than a narrower color space with all other variables equal. So a 500 nit sRGB MBA would have appeared much brighter than the MBPs 500 nit P3 display.

The color space and how the application is displaying it matters too. A warmer display will appear dimmer than a cooler display.

“White” is somewhat arbitrary even in real life, snow with a shadow cast on it is still white while technically it’s grey if you used a color tool in Abobe. The image above someone else posted is just showing the difference between the that particular Air and that particular Pro. The Air could be too yellow OR the Pro could be too blue. Calibrate as necessary for ambient lighting or even to your preference.

What I wouldn’t be too concerned about is the Air being unusably dim with wrong colors.

23. headcase, Nov 7, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 6:40 AM

headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

All I know is that when conducting direct comparisons (same display settings, same room lighting, same screen content) of a 2016 12" MacBook vs. 2015 13" MacBook Pro vs. 2018 MacBook Air, the newest MBA has the dimmest screen.

Downgrades suck.

24. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

Looks like the new ipad screens are dimmer too. What's going on over there at apple's display department.

25. Cosmo M3 macrumors regular

Cosmo M3

need to hit those battery life benchmarks with the updated hardware