Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Matthews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2020
Hi there

This is my first post here, if it’s in the wrong section please let me know where best to post this.

Basically, I’m on the look out for a new Mac and have been toying with the idea of a MacBook Air with i5 processor and 16 gigs of ram, or the i7 with 8 gigs. Fan noise and overheating issues are my main concerns, and also how well it can actually run under long hours of continuous work. I can spend over 10 hours some days so I need a machine that can handle it for at least 4 to 5 years.
I don’t mind limiting the amount of tracks, bouncing in place and generally working within limited boundaries, however, I would like to have a rough idea on how limited I may be with the new MacBook Air?
I have read up online but opinions seem to be somewhat split on the heat/fan issues, processors, amount of ram sufficient enough...
Anyone own the i5 with 16gigs of ram or the i7 with 8? Any information on how these things are running would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
If you question relates to Logic Pro and how 2020 Air behaves, there are already topics covering that. Here are some

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.