Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PedroSyrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Hi guys! It's the first time I'm using this forum and I'm far from being a "tech" guy, so excuse any obvious or naive question. I have a MacBook Air (11'', 2015) and I just got a Apple Cinema Display 23''. I want to connect them since the monitor on my MacBook Air is far too small for work. I bought a MiniDisplay port to connect the DVI cable on the monitor with my Thunderbolt connection but somehow it's not working. I tried to reset using some commands I saw online (shift+ctrl+option+power / ctrl+command+p+r [not sure about this one] ) but nothing happens. I saw the monitor working (got it from a friend) so I'm now trying to figure out where I made a mistake. When I connect the MiniDisply port to the Thunderbolt on my Macbook, the display's power light lights up, but no image comes out. Should I use the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter? I'm kinda lost here. I checked the connections and all the cables, but if you guys could help me... Thank you very much!

Pedro

iubhounds

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
I just started using my MacBook Air as my main hard drive connected to a 27" LED Cinema Display. Do you have or are you using the connector on the cable that came with the display? My display is a 2010 model and has three different connectors on the end of that one display cable. On my 2015 Air, I used the only port available for an external display.

Reactions: PedroSyrah

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
You definitely do not need a dual-link DVI adapter, which are somewhat expensive. Sometimes the mini DisplayPort (aka Thunderbolt port) adapter doesn't work. Is it Apple brand? Monoprice? I've had excellent luck with these. Can you borrow an adapter from someone to see if that is the problem?

PedroSyrah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Yes, I'm using the cable that came with the display and the mini display port is also from Apple. I'm gonna try to find another port and see if something changes. It's really weird because as soon is I plug it into my thunderbolt output, the power light on the display lights up. I'll find another display port and get back to you guys. Thanks for your help so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.