Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Unfortunately that is all you will be doing with the MBA, is light day to day usage. IMO the MBA should have been priced $799 aux lieu $1799, affordable to a larger demographic of not so savvy computer users.:rolleyes:

Well, let's see here. I'm still using my 12" PB and I know of scores of others on this site that are still using their PB's so I guess that means we're "not so savvy computer users" anymore since our computers can't even hold a candle to this thing? Dedicated GPU or not we're still talking about a vastly superior processor and I'm sure in every single test out there the MBA beats even the best PB.

Anybody have a link to something like that or have people stopped comparing MB's to PB's?

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Does anyone know what the warranty policy is on opening up your computer (and potentially replacing the HDD)? The reason I ask, is because if it voids your warranty, there is no point to get the extended AppleCare if you plan on replacing the HDD a year down the line....I don't want to spend unnecessary $$$

Breckenridge

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Telluride, Colorado
So the photos where pulled out. Why Apple, why? still battery situation is lame and very impractical, I can just see myself running around the airport trying to find a plug, Lame, Lame, Lame.:mad:

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Does anyone know what the warranty policy is on opening up your computer (and potentially replacing the HDD)? The reason I ask, is because if it voids your warranty, there is no point to get the extended AppleCare if you plan on replacing the HDD a year down the line....I don't want to spend unnecessary $$$

FWIW, I replaced the hard drive on my iBook G3 and later sent it in for repair (still under warranty). And From the looks of it, replacing the Air battery will be MUCH easier than doing anything with any iBook. As long as you are careful I think you should be all set.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
expect that SSDs will significantly drop in price and increase in capacity in the next few years.

That's a good bet. But I doubt we'd be able to buy just any SSD and use it: it's probably going to have to be manufactured specifically for the MBA (dimensions, mount, connector), or require enough hacking that most of us would pass on the opportunity.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
That's a good bet. But I doubt we'd be able to buy just any SSD and use it: it's probably going to have to be manufactured specifically for the MBA (dimensions, mount, connector), or require enough hacking that most of us would pass on the opportunity.

But despite how much more expensive the SSD option on the MBA is, Apple is actually selling the SSD for a pretty good price. They're not being stingy with that SSD like their RAM. I expect they'll put better, cheaper SSD's in on their own, but I'm not sure what it'll mean for those who already have an MBA with an old SSD.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
This is actually the first new Apple Laptop that I didn't really want to get right away as a new release. I was ready to buy but now I will wait for the next round of Macbooks or Powerbooks:(

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
And this model uses a parallel ATA interface.

What happens when higher-capacity units are available as SATA only?

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
That IS a sexy battery! And if I had an extra 2K laying around (haha <-starving college student) then I would definitely have one.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude

ewxlt

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I can't believe so many people have the guts to hack apart a new computer! I always have the feeling that it won't go back together.:rolleyes:

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
user replaceable batteries require thicker housing. it probably requires some sort of lid. look at, for example, the battery of an ibook. the battery has a plastic shell, plus there is sort of a docking bay for it to pop into. the MBA battery (or iPhone battery, iPod battery) are not in the kind of shell that can get tossed around in a backpack. that extra little shell adds up enough in those devices that it would add significant thickness. these are lithium after all, and there is a safety issue.
i guess it does say something about how thin devices have become when things like that are now significant.

jaknudsen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Oslo, Norway
But I doubt we'd be able to buy just any SSD and use it: it's probably going to have to be manufactured specifically for the MBA (dimensions, mount, connector), or require enough hacking that most of us would pass on the opportunity.

Most likely, like all the other proprietary hard drives and memory modules they are currently using … :rolleyes:

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
So would it be relatively painless to DIY a spare one in there, on a long journey for instance? Which assumes in the first place you're walking around everywhere with the right screwdriver... lord how I wish for the simplicity of a battery removable by a mere coin-turn...

Likely it would void your warranty if you open the case, also may not be able to purchase the spare battery as is prob considered a replacement part only handled by repair stores.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
very easy, but the fact that they crippled the remote disk to not include cd's and dvd's (to pigeonhole you from buying them from itunes) pretty much tipped this thing to the wrong side of the thin line it was walking on.

very easy fix, $99.00 fix.

The system is for people who have little to no need for a cd/dvd/burner. For those rare occasions, they sell the separate drive. Same thing for firewire .... mainly needed for some disk drives, for movie cameras and for the old iSight. The target audience for this machine does little to no media work while on the road and have a second more powerful system at home or office.

If you are that worried about the ability to burn DVDs or multi-media than is likely you are not the target for this system.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Which main board is smaller, the one of the MacBook Air or the one of the Mac mini? I guess the smaller one could be used to build the ultimate light (400 g or so) and small (pocketable) full Mac, much as the Axiotron ModBook, but as light and small (pocketable) as the OQO model 2+:

http://www.axiotron.com
http://www.oqo.com

Is that possible with video-out and USB2 port? That would be awesome for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations, because even the MacBook Air is too heavy and too large. So, you make the presentation on the larger Mac, and then use the pocketable one for the classroom, meeting, home, etc for the video presentation.

Thanks.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Which main board is smaller, the one of the MacBook Air or the one of the Mac mini? I guess the smaller one could be used to build the ultimate light (400 g or so) and small (pocketable) full Mac...

Motherboard design is not that expensive - look at the proliferation of DIY motherboards available. If it were expensive, you wouldn't see companies making so many boards that are minor variations of specs and features.

Better to design a board specifically for the netbook - especially since neither the MBA or mini have a Gobi chip for universal 3G.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Motherboard design is not that expensive - look at the proliferation of DIY motherboards available. If it were expensive, you wouldn't see companies making so many boards that are minor variations of specs and features.

Better to design a board specifically for the netbook - especially since neither the MBA or mini have a Gobi chip for universal 3G.

But I guess that is not legal and in any case not as easy as using a board already available. I can use an existing board; but I cannot design and make a new one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.