• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

190655-battery_300.png

MacBook Air Battery
Gizmodo provides a gallery of screenshots and video documenting the disassembly of the MacBook Air and shows that it is relatively easy to access the battery, which is held in by a number of screws.

Article Link

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
So would it be relatively painless to DIY a spare one in there, on a long journey for instance? Which assumes in the first place you're walking around everywhere with the right screwdriver... lord how I wish for the simplicity of a battery removable by a mere coin-turn...

Comment

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

the battery situation is totally balls.

Comment

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Ok, so it's possible to take a battery out and put a new one in. Question though . . . these batteries look very specialized. Will Apple even sell these? If they don't, if they want you to send it in, it doesn't matter if it's possible for us to do it.

Comment

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

the battery situation is totally balls.

I find it funny you're using an iPhone :D

I'm not sure how booming the "carry a spare" market is... but it could be a PITA for the frequent travellers the thing seems to be geared toward.

Comment

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
So would it be relatively painless to DIY a spare one in there, on a long journey for instance? Which assumes in the first place you're walking around everywhere with the right screwdriver... lord how I wish for the simplicity of a battery removable by a mere coin-turn...

I believe this addresses when a battery dies dies and is not intended to persuade people who demand hotswappable batteries. Yes, the Macbook Air can't hotswap batteries, we get it.

Comment

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Ok, so it's possible to take a battery out and put a new one in. Question though . . . these batteries look very specialized. Will Apple even sell these? If they don't, if they want you to send it in, it doesn't matter if it's possible for us to do it.

Very true. I've heard it costs $129, but of course if they only want Apple Genius...es to install them, they probably won't sell them over the counter.

Also - if you're covered for a year (a period in which battery failure should definitely be regarded as a defect), when will anyone even need to buy one? Outside of accidental damage, not for at least 12 months...

Yes, the Macbook Air can't hotswap batteries, we get it.

Why the attitude? If anything this shows (if you can acquire a spare) it should be possible to perform a swap yourself. Loads of people would like to hear that

Comment

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
they took it apart but they didn't mention whether the HD is soldered in, or whether it looks replaceable. For me, the option to upgrade to SSD in 6 months and save $600 is a plus.

Comment

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
As ugly as this thing is on the outside (yeah it's my honest opinion, live with it), it sure is beautiful on the inside.

Now, only if Apple could have gotten much more powerful hardware, I would be sold.

Comment

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
very easy, but the fact that they crippled the remote disk to not include cd's and dvd's (to pigeonhole you from buying them from itunes) pretty much tipped this thing to the wrong side of the thin line it was walking on.

Comment

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
they took it apart but they didn't mention whether the HD is soldered in, or whether it looks replaceable. For me, the option to upgrade to SSD in 6 months and save $600 is a plus.

Yeah, I would like to know exactly what you can feasibly replace. I know the ram is on the motherboard so no luck with that. But I'd think the hard drive would be just as easy to swap out as the battery.

Comment

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
very easy, but the fact that they crippled the remote disk to not include cd's and dvd's

That sucks! So what are you limited to in remote disc? I thought surely you could access data and play DVDs, rip CDs to the MBA... weak.

edit: found an engadget article: http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/remote-disc-no-movie-playback-no-hd-support-and-everything-el/

(to pigeonhole you from buying them from itunes)

I can't agree with that. There's still the SuperDrive option. It still sucks, but alas.

Comment

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other

Yeah I'd be interested in this aspect too, like you say a big saving and a relative pain free upgrade in 6 months or so when the price has fallen considerably for SSD would be very enticing.

Comment

ncbill

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
Someone needs to pull the drive and measure its height.

If it is 8mm then we can swap in a 1.8" 160GB drive - for about $200.

(if 5mm, then we're stuck at 80GB for now)

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

I just asked Brian Lam, he said the hard drive is easily accessible/replaceable.

arn

Comment

dual64bit

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2004
I think this proves the MacBook Air is potentially customizable.

If third party comes out with hard drive swap, like previous poster said the 160Gb may fit. Even third party could make batteries.

The point of this is, things are possible.

Still no "take apart" instructions on Apple's service source.

Comment

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I just asked Brian Lam, he said the hard drive is easily accessible/replaceable.

arn

Such good news. Now I feel ok with ordering the 80GB but with 1.8GHz, and holding out for cheaper SSDs.

The MBA will be relatively obsolete in a few years anyway so who cares if you can change out the battery.

Man people just love using that word here, don't they? You can still get away with light day-to-day usage on G3 iBooks so the Air should function much longer than you'll need it to. Everything it can do today it'll be able to do ... well, always.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.