Macbook Air heat?

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
Mine stays nice and cool in OS X Mountain Lion. If I run VMWare and Windows 7 it "warms up" a little.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
What's your definition of heat - comfortable to use on a desk, comfortable on pants, comfortable on bare legs?

TheCaptain95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
What's your definition of heat - comfortable to use on a desk, comfortable on pants, comfortable on bare legs?
Ah yes should probably make that clear :p 80% of the time I'd use my MB would be on my lap, so as long as its not so warm as it becomes uncomfortable on my lap through trousers I'm happy :)

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011
I almost always use mine on a table so there is plenty of air flow. When used continuously on your lap, your legs will contribute to the heat.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I have mine encased in a Sena folio case, for better or worse I don't feel the heat under the case. After intense use it may take a few minutes to wind down the laptop fan and then all is good again. The Air does not overheat, shutdown, or reboot itself. There may be long term effects if the temperature becomes uncontrollably high. Not sure if heat or cold is its worse enemy.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ah yes should probably make that clear :p 80% of the time I'd use my MB would be on my lap, so as long as its not so warm as it becomes uncomfortable on my lap through trousers I'm happy :)
This applies to all Mac notebooks: Apple Portables: Operating temperature
The bottom of your Apple portable may become warm during normal use. If the computer is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, remove it from your lap and place it on a stable surface.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2012
No. Even when watching hours of videos, it's like an ice cube compared to my previous laptop, a Gateway NX570XL.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Any problems (heating wise) from a lot of intense work?
They can get quite hot around the rear left of the base, but not enough to cause serious concern. But anyone who says they don't get hot is a liar.

I can confirm that few MBA's I've had all get hot when watching videos on YouTube etc.

The person who said they are "like an ice cube" is clearly on crack.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2012
They can get quite hot around the rear left of the base, but not enough to cause serious concern. But anyone who says they don't get hot is a liar.

I can confirm that few MBA's I've had all get hot when watching videos on YouTube etc.

The person who said they are "like an ice cube" is clearly on crack.
You sound like a childish little boy who likes to engage in hyperbole.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I've used my 2012 MBA for several hours where watching YouTube videos was parts of that (Flash installed) and the bottom was only slightly warm to the touch, not hot at all.

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
I wouldn't go by what people say here - try and see if you can get some real experience with it.

Lots of people talk about light gaming and how it's pretty capable with the HD4000.

It's true, except that the heat is atrocious. Minutes within Minecraft, it's enough to burn you on the top left corner. It's laughable that they play like this.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2012
I sound like a MBA user who confirms they can get hot.
Why do you think we would take your word above anyone else's? Especially after your childish post, your bully opinion is meaningless.

----------

I've used my 2012 MBA for several hours where watching YouTube videos was parts of that (Flash installed) and the bottom was only slightly warm to the touch, not hot at all.
Look out. Steve is going to say that you're on crack.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Why do you think we would take your word above anyone else's?
The unavoidable truth is that they can get hot. There's just absolutely no disputing this fact or denying it. I think it's poor form to cheat the OP with an incorrect answer to his question.

I found my old 2010 MBA with the C2D was the coolest running MBA I've ever owned but it still got toasty when under load or watching lots of video content. The 2011 model gets warmer a lot quicker.

----------

it's enough to burn you on the top left corner.
I don't game on mine but that top left corner is a problem when it comes to heat, that's for sure. I guess that's where the CPU is, the fan get crank up to a very high speed but thankfully it's not too noisy under stress.

Fuchal

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2003
They can get pretty warm in the back, but if you've ever used an older MacBook Pro, it's nothing close to as hot as those would get.

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
If you play Starcraft 2 on high settings, yes.

If you watch movies, no. Very nice and comfortable.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2012
The unavoidable truth is that they can get hot. There's just absolutely no disputing this fact or denying it. I think it's poor form to cheat the OP with an incorrect answer to his question.
The OP didn't ask if it gets hot. He asked, "Any problems (heating wise) from a lot of intense work?" I responded no, as in no problems.