MacBook Air is a dead stick

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mcapanelli, Jul 18, 2016.

?

My MacBook air is now.......

1. A decorative paper weight

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. A home defense weapon

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Spare parts

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. A great tire wedge

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. An expensive serving tray

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Slag for bullets in the zombie apocalypse

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Completely repairable

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. mcapanelli macrumors regular

mcapanelli

So..........my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air seems to have gone to the great beyond. Its the base model; Core 15, 128g, 4 g ram. I went to boot it up and it gave me a message saying it had encountered an exception, then proceeded to get stuck on the recovery screen. Its been stuck that way ever since. It won't shut down either. I've tried to hold the power button down to no avail. I've also tried any and all diagnostic and repair keyboard shortcuts available that I know of. The only thing that works is the pointer. The track pad is picking up my movements and moving the mouse accordingly, but that's about all that's worked.

Now that the battery is dead, I'm going to try and pull the cable, but I'm not sure a MacBook will boot up without the battery plugged in. Anyone have any ideas that don't involve finishing it off with fire? I'm just not sure how I can troubleshoot a completely unresponsive machine. I was thinking of making a bootable image on a flash drive and reinstalling the OS, but if it hangs on recovery I don't see how that's possible. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

This can be done from (almost any) other Mac, and definitely worth a shot.

3. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

I didn't know I could do that from another Mac. I'll google that and see if I can find a "how to".

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

http://diskmakerx.com
    Just download this, then 10.11 or whatever other OSes are available via Purchased.
    Insert 8GB USB key, go.

5. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

Now the trick is going to be getting it to go past the grey screen. It just sort if boots to recovery and hangs there. I'm wondering if its the battery? I know it might sound crazy, but bad batteries make laptops do strange things. Does anyone know if the Air will boot up if I disconnect the battery and plug it in?

By the way, thanks for your reply.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You circumvent the built in recovery mode using USB, so hopefully that will bear something.

I don't think it would be the battery.

7. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

So yeah.............

I just tried to boot from the usb and was greeted by these pictures.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its still a dead stick too. I have to let the battery run down to shut it down. I have never seen those pictures before. Its not even a picture of my computer. Its like my Macbook Air is being possessed by a powerbook g4. Maybe instead of a good tech I should call a priest?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2016 ---
    From what a gather by google searches, the computer is pointing me to the trackpad and keyboard.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...range-screen-showing-magic-mouse-and-trackpad

I tried plugging in a USB mouse, but it gave me the same message and the cursor still didn't work. I tried the mouse on my new Macbook and it worked fine, so we can rule out a bad mouse.

I have no idea what that computer picture means, but it can't be good.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

It looks like it's looking for a keyboard and mouse.
    Turn off the computer.
    Hold option.
    Press power, continue holding option.
    What happens?

9. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

That's how I got the pictures. I got the usb mouse to work by closing the computer and opening it back up, then I shut it down. Now it won't power on. What do you think, holy water?

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Apple offers flat rate repair for $310.

11. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

So.......................

Apple is saying liquid damage. There's a residue under the battery. Can't recall anything ever spilling on it though. I'm thinking it could possibly be a leaking battery? I did get a battery warning a few months back. Do the batteries even leak?

In any event, its totally dead and apple wants about $800 to fix it so till I can figure something else out, it's going to remain dead.

12. tubeexperience, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Sent it to this dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

https://www.rossmanngroup.com/

13. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

Ironically, I was watching him repair an air earlier today. He's not far from my at all so I'm going to contact them tomorrow. Thanks for the link man.

14. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

3 years computer battery die?
    thats still a very new computer. Is this an issue with new laptops?

15. SystemHasFailed macrumors member

SystemHasFailed

I've heard of that being an issue on occasion. But on a laptop that's only 3 years old I'd push back and ask them to do something that's less than 800 bucks.. Especially if the battery is the issue.

16. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Well, in the days of replaceable batteries you can just insert a new battery in but if you will make the whole computer a 1 unit you better make the defects ratio 0 because I don't have $2000 to spend on a new computer each year(or even 3).

17. SystemHasFailed macrumors member

SystemHasFailed

This is something that really pisses me off about the recent generations of MacBooks. On my model the battery is replaceable, if you know what you're doing. You have to be careful or you can actually rupture the battery pack - it doesn't have it's own hard shell. It instead relies on the computer casing to be the protective shell.

And at my work they won't even bother replacing my battery because my model is more than 3 years old.. and "it's not worth the trouble" to them. They'll ship it back to Apple to be e-cycled.

When you spend this kind of money on a computer, it SHOULD be able to last longer than a year or three.

18. iMacC2D, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  19. Orizence macrumors 6502

I have spilt a somewhat small amount of water on my MBA keyboard before... And a bit got near that top seam. Would you say that a small amount is enough to cause corrosion of that cable?

20. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

That's exactly what they want to do. I have it on good authority that they do not like repairing older machines like mine and would rather push you in to a new purchase. That's why they opt for full component replacement instead of preforming thorough repair diagnostics. In my case, they saw some sticky liquid under the battery and stopped there. There's nothing under the logic board, I checked myself after I got it back. The logic board seems fine to my eye, but it is a naked untrained one so there's that.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2016 ---
    Judging from my experience, I would think so. My computer had no visible liquid spilled on it ever. No sticky keys, no signs whatsoever. About all I can think is it happened and it was kept from me because I would have shut it right down and opened it right up, after getting upset.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 28, 2016 ---
    I had said that I felt the battery was ruptured, and that the stick clear substance was from the battery, but they said its impossible. I even told them that about 6 months back I got s batter warning, but it went away after a week. Could the battery be the source of the leak? The substance, whatever it is, doesn't smell like any sugary drink I've ever been in contact with. It has a faint metallic scent to it.

21. iMacC2D, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  22. Orizence macrumors 6502

I have sources to get the cables if I need to. Im just hoping I don't have to worry about my warranty so I can get a new battery when I need to.

23. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I have actually seen liquid leaking from a MacBook Air battery. It looks like a trail of white powder coming from the battery.

Would you post a picture of this?

I want to check that when someone brings in a MacBook Air with non-functional keyboard and touchpad.

24. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

mcapanelli

There's a clear residue on the battery underside with a faint metallic, acid like smell.