Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hi peeps, I would like to get a MacBook Air for my mother, but after reading the bad news about the M2 (slower SSD speeds, heat issues), I'm sort of unsure if it might not be better to get her the M1.

We waited on purpose for the M2, because I said the best thing is to get the latest models, that's the most future-proof one.

What do you think, is the M2 more futureproof than the M1?

She'll be using it normally for browsing and writing emails, looking at photos, etc., so nothing too special, but I still want the best comfort for her, let's say when she's browsing her photo library or printing things, and I think SSD speed may play a role here.

Do you think the slower SSD benchmarks of the M2 could be resolved by some software updates? I mean it can't be that the M1 is better (and cheaper) than the M2. Tell me your thoughts!

Adreitz

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
My advice? Just get the new one. 99% of people won't be able to tell the difference between 1.4 GBps and 2.2/2.9 GBps SSD throughput in 99% of their computer usage (how often are you copying such large files that you'd be waiting more than a second or two longer, and how often can you even reach 1.4 GBps throughput based on the drive you are copying to/from?) And I doubt that your mother will be pushing the computer in any aspect.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Do you think the slower SSD benchmarks of the M2 could be resolved by some software updates? I mean it can't be that the M1 is better (and cheaper) than the M2. Tell me your thoughts!
To start with, they've only benchmarked M2 MacBook Pro, so no one knows for sure that M2 Air will have the same SSD. But if your budget accomodates either one, then I suppose M2 is more future-proof, when configured identically, but if you were to get an M1 Air with twice the ram, then depending on how long your mother keeps it, it's hard to say which is more future-proof. Either way, you might want to make sure she doesn't mind the notch.

Reactions: Saturn007

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi peeps, I would like to get a MacBook Air for my mother, but after reading the bad news about the M2 (slower SSD speeds, heat issues), I'm sort of unsure if it might not be better to get her the M1.

We waited on purpose for the M2, because I said the best thing is to get the latest models, that's the most future-proof one.

She'll be using it normally for browsing and writing emails, looking at photos, etc., so nothing too special, but I still want the best comfort for her, let's say when she's browsing her photo library or printing things, and I think SSD speed may play a role here.

Your mother will not notice any drive speed issues, and considering what she will use it for either the M1 or M2 will work equally well. FYI, on the M1s the 256GB SSD was around ~20% slower than the 512GB and larger SSDs.

Do you think MagSafe will be beneficial to her?

Reactions: Saturn007

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

The one that will age quicker is the one with less memory. Simple.

Reactions: yitwail

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
To start with, they've only benchmarked M2 MacBook Pro, so no one knows for sure that M2 Air will have the same SSD...
It is logical to assume that Apple is going to use the same M2 SoCs on all its M2 computers.

If you are still undecided, something you can do is get the M2-Air and try the general non-specific computer tasks that she will be using it for. If you don't notice any performance issues, she wont either.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
I'll cast a vote for the M1. Cheaper, more than enough for her needs.

Indeed, give her very light, undemanding computing needs, a base iPad for $330 would probably work just great. Unless she's a touch typist who wants a real keyboard or writes long emails, the iPad would be a treat — and great for Face Time calls, photography, emailing, etc. Give it a thought!

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
get an M2 if you are getting a good deal on it.
Otherwise M1 for the win!
M2 is way more expensive, at least here in Europe, while in practice will bring you next to no real advantages

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks guys for all your replies!

get an M2 if you are getting a good deal on it.
Otherwise M1 for the win!
M2 is way more expensive, at least here in Europe, while in practice will bring you next to no real advantages

I'm in Europe too and yes, the M2 is a little bit more expensive (300€ more) and I'm not sure if it's worth it. It also has a slightly larger screen.

It's seems like it's not worth it, but I'm trying to think far into the future and guess which one will be more future-proof. I'm thinking of the CPU, the RAM (both would have the same amount), the graphics card, the SSD … (same thing here, both would have the same size)

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
yes, the (slightly!) larger screen is surely quite nice
But when you are shopping on Amazon, etc. you can get a base model M1 more than 550 € cheaper than a base model M2 goes for currently, which is quite substantial in my opinion. I got mine for 930 € i think, in March
but of course the M2 will go down in price a bit too after a good while, if you are patient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.