Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I just installed the 11.2 beta and this bug appears to be fixed.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Starting seeing it again this morning.
Yes I signed up for the Public Beta just to try this out with fingers crossed and sadly the bug remains...

Hodric

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
Hello, I'm loving my M1 MBA. But this is very annoying. Every time when I wake it up with Touch ID, it's act like this
Does anyone have same issue with M1 MacBooks? Can you repeat this and tell me it's happen to everyone?

View attachment 1699281
MacBook Air M1 here. I am having the exact same issue and that's why I found this discussion.

If I place my finger on the Touch ID button, nothing happens. If I press it, the Mac wakes up and goes back to sleep, which makes the screen blink just like in your video.

I reported this behavior to Apple but I doubt they'll ever read (I have been reporting the Launchpad bug that rearranges icons after a reboot since Catalina and they never paid attention).

nicfle

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2014
When I try to unlock my MBP from sleep it asks for Touch ID or password, but it does not accept the finger print. It has the text under my profile pic, but the Touch Bar prompt is missing. An I doing something wrong?

dense_fog

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
I started having this issue after upgrading to 11.1. It's very annoying. Sometimes pressing the Touch ID button wakes my MBA normally, but most times it flickers awake and then immediately back to sleep. It seems to occur when the MBA goes to sleep on its own versus when I sleep it manually, but I haven't confirmed this.

I've noticed that when this occurs, Touch ID still authenticates, so if I press the keyboard right after this wake/sleep flicker, it will wake up normally (it's set to require password/Touch ID after 5 seconds). This is definitely a bug, as it started happening immediately after the 11.1 upgrade. It acts as though the Touch ID press is being registered as two presses instead of one (wake/Touch ID and then sleep).
If this never happened to you prior to 11.1, is this definitely a software bug, rather than faulty hardware? I'm experiencing this too with a brand new laptop and had been thinking of returning mine, since I know people who have the same model (incl. memory, storage, and graphics) and have confirmed that they're *NOT* experiencing it. It's very odd that it doesn't seem to be universal.

Also, I checked an early 2020 Intel Macbook Air running 11.1 and it did not have this bug, either. So it's definitely not 11.1 across all hardware.

Last edited:

dense_fog

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
Does anybody know of people experiencing this on other models besides the M1 MacBook Air? (i.e. MacBook Pro, Intel MacBook Air)

PVRP

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2021
I have the exact same issue in a brande new model, and yes it happens when it's paused for a long time, it's needed to press click the touch id, if I touch the keyboard or trackpad and them use the touch id it works just fine.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Same here M1 11.2. If I wait a good 5-10 mins when its in true deep sleep. I press the button once the Touch Bar and screen flickers on and off quickly then I have to press it again its fine. Some bug. Doesn't bother me. I never noticed it until I saw this thread. I usually close min when not in use.

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
I have a weird issue with touch id with M1 pro. It asks for shutdown. I am working with apple support and thinking of getting button replaced. I did clean install twice and the issue still persists. I have recorded the video. Do you think its issue with hardware or software?

Below is the video of issue.

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have a weird issue with touch id with M1 pro. It asks for shutdown. I am working with apple support and thinking of getting button replaced. I did clean install twice and the issue still persists. I have recorded the video. Do you think its issue with hardware or software?

I would go with hardware! Also make sure you scanned finger isn’t wet because that always have been a overlooked flaw!

Reactions: mastergk

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014

I normally close the lid to put it to long sleep so opening the lid wakes it up then Touch ID works fine. However, if I leave the lid open and let it go to long sleep it requires two step process to first press keyboard key or click touchpad to wake up laptop then touch Touch ID to authenticate. Pressing Touch ID during long sleep wakes it up then immediately prompts to shut it down as you've seen. In comparison, Lenovo Yoga 6 requires just one step to touch fingerprint sensor to authenticate and wake it up from long sleep with lid open. Hopefully the two step is a Big Sur bug and not normal behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: mastergk

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
I normally close the lid to put it to long sleep so opening the lid wakes it up then Touch ID works fine. However, if I leave the lid open and let it go to long sleep it requires two step process to first press keyboard key or click touchpad to wake up laptop then touch Touch ID to authenticate. Pressing Touch ID during long sleep wakes it up then immediately prompts to shut it down as you've seen. In comparison, Lenovo Yoga 6 requires just one step to touch fingerprint sensor to authenticate and wake it up from long sleep with lid open. Hopefully the two step is a Big Sur bug and not normal behavior.
Thank you!! Finally I have someone who understands my problem. Do you face the same issue on new M1? What I heard is that the touch id should never prompt for a shutdown dialog, is that the case? Would you suggest me to get the touch id replaced as its under warranty. My worry is that, this issue might become big if its a hardware issue.

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
Thank you!! Finally I have someone who understands my problem. Do you face the same issue on new M1? What I heard is that the touch id should never prompt for a shutdown dialog, is that the case? Would you suggest me to get the touch id replaced as its under warranty. My worry is that, this issue might become big if its a hardware issue.

Not the best user experience but the workaround I discovered for now is to tap Touch ID really quick from long sleep then it wakes up, authenticate and doesn't bring up the shutdown dialog.

Before that tried turning off sleep but no difference.

Maybe there's a command-line or setting to extend holding down power button to bring up shutdown dialog and make it at least a few seconds since it's too short currently and conflicts with login authentication.

Otherwise, too soon to tell if it's software (more likely) or hardware but if you're concerned open and document a case with Apple to give you more leeway to do an exchange outside of return period.

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Not the best user experience but the workaround I discovered for now is to tap Touch ID really quick from long sleep then it wakes up, authenticate and doesn't bring up the shutdown dialog.

Before that tried turning off sleep but no difference.

Maybe there's a command-line or setting to extend holding down power button to bring up shutdown dialog and make it at least a few seconds since it's too short currently and conflicts with login authentication.

Otherwise, too soon to tell if it's software (more likely) or hardware but if you're concerned open and document a case with Apple to give you more leeway to do an exchange outside of return period.
I spoke the support and it was escalated to engg team. Finally yesterday store said they can replace the button if I see the issue again. They said they cannot replace the laptop, I brought it during thanksgiving.

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
I spoke the support and it was escalated to engg team. Finally yesterday store said they can replace the button if I see the issue again. They said they cannot replace the laptop, I brought it during thanksgiving.

Personally, I would wait for a software fix and worst case I'd rather live with the two step authentication than risking them scratching up my MBA or introducing other issue(s) when it's pretty much hardware defect free.

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Personally, I would wait for a software fix and worst case I'd rather live with the two step authentication than risking them scratching up my MBA or introducing other issue(s) when it's pretty much hardware defect free.
Thank you!

dense_fog

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021

Oh interesting. I'm really glad you posted this seemingly unrelated bug to this thread because I'm experiencing that bug too and have wondered if there's a connection with the "wake" issue.

Last edited:

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Oh interesting. I'm really glad you posted this seemingly unrelated bug to this thread because I'm experiencing that bug too and have wondered if there's a connection with the "wake" issue.
Oh okay, yeah it looks be related to be wake issue and not sure if you have reported to Apple support yet because they are saying they haven't heard this issue. I hope its a software issue.

dense_fog

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
Oh okay, yeah it looks be related to be wake issue and not sure if you have reported to Apple support yet because they are saying they haven't heard this issue. I hope its a software issue.
I should be able to report back some anecdotal data soon. I am receiving a replacement MBA in the next few weeks.

mastergk

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
I should be able to report back some anecdotal data soon. I am receiving a replacement MBA in the next few weeks.
Are they willing to replace your macbook air? They said they would only repair my pro in my case :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.