Macbook Air no longer has sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by grandIOSe, Oct 7, 2018.

1. grandIOSe, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018

grandIOSe macrumors member

At some point between yesterday and today, my MBA early 2015 model, has stopped playing any sound through internal speakers except during power up.

I have MacOS MOJAVE installed, and software is up to date. I have tried going into the settings -> sound -> output, and the only device listed is the headphones port, which appears to be working perfectly.

I tried restarting, but since the internal speakers are not showing up under output, I don't know what else to troubleshoot. To be clear, the internal speakers come on during power up, but that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tried going through the steps on this thread, however, it did not work.

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The internal speakers aren't showing up because the Air thinks headphones are attached.

Tried adding and removing headphones? Inspected the headphone jack for damage?

3. grandIOSe thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that seems to be the problem. When Insert and then remove a pair of headphones into the audio jack, the internal speakers appear, and the audio works briefly, however, they quickly disappear again. If I do the same thing, they appear for seconds, and disappear.

I have not inspected the audio jack for damage. How do you suggest I do so? I also saw on a different thread, that there is a switch in there, and the carefully inserting a tooth pic in there, being careful not to break it in there may help. Can you please provide more details? thank you.

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Since the opening is very small, you may not be able to readily see any damage if it is deep inside. The sides of the jack should be a light grey colour with two gold contacts on the side. If they look okay, the issue is probably further inside the opening.

If the toothpick method doesn't fix it, you may need to replace the Magsafe board which is a pain. It's fortunate that the headphone jack is located on a separate circuit board rather than being soldered directly to the main logic board.

The replacement board can be purchased from Amazon or eBay and is not too expensive.

Before replacing the board, you may want to take it the Apple store to see if they can help.

Attached Files:

5. grandIOSe thread starter macrumors member

All of a sudden the internal speakers show up and are working. If they stop working again, I will try with the toothpick
    and see if that solves it.

here is thread that gave me helpful ideas. You have been the most helpful. Thank-you

6. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting a link for more solutions :)

7. grandIOSe thread starter macrumors member

The problem arose again, but I blew air with my mouth into the jack, and the speakers are back working again. I might buy a can of air to keep around. There may have been a build up of dirt.

I may go ahead and order the module you above just to have it handy. Can you please provide me with the link to a seller on amazon? my MBA is an early 2015 model. Thank-you.