Macbook Air or Macbook Pro??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleman1974, Feb 21, 2008.

1. appleman1974 macrumors newbie

Here is my situtation I just purchased a new iMac 24" today and I went and got 4 gig of ram and upgraded it from the stock 1gig so I have power and I need a new laptop and I want the Macbook Air but I keep on waiting to see what the announcement this tuesday is going to be. How come not one person has said I should purchase the Air. Does anyone like them? I want to check emails and surf the web and mess around with some pictures and maybe do some web design stuff but nothing that will take any real memory or power, whats wrong with uying the Air?? They are selling are they not? whos buying them? I travel alot and would like to be more compact. Just tell me one realy good reason not to buy the Air, i dont need a drive because I will rent movies and I have everything in the Imac that i will need to install remotely. So let me have it???

2. bturville macrumors newbie

you've just justified buying the air, so buy it.

nobody here is stopping you!

3. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

No one's telling you not to! If it suits your needs and you like it then by all means go for it! I'm sure you'll love the flexibility of having both the iMac and the Air.

4. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Post this question in the MBA thread and i bet you will get loads of responses telling you to buy the Air! :D

But in the MBP, MB thread, it's likely they'll tell you not to buy it

I think get the air if you're happy with the less power, but extra portability

Enjoy whichever you get :D

5. wentwj macrumors regular

I'm in a similar, but slightly different boat. I've been waiting for the MBP for a while now, wanting to see what gets upgraded, but right now I plan on getting a Mac Pro in a few months.

Once I have the Mac Pro for all my power tasks I need, I think I'd rather have the MBA than the MBP, however, part of me is considering just getting the MBP and seeing how that functions for all my computing needs, perhaps even delaying for an indefinite period the MacPro purchase.

Ultimately, I've decided to wait and see what gets upgraded with the MBP, I'd really like a keyboard and magentic latch upgrade, and after seeing what the new MBP is like, then deciding on the Air + MacPro vs MBP.

It does however, seem extra frustrating waiting for an update to a product, that you may not even want.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if you've got a fast desktop at home, and dont need the power in a portable, then get the air, this is the only situation where i see the air dose any good

and that thinig is just do damn light:D

7. Pees330 macrumors 6502

It sounds like the MBA would work great for you especially since you just got a new iMac. You're not looking to do anything extensive on it, so I would go for the Air. Plus if you're traveling a lot you will like the more compact design.

8. NoLongerAPCGuy macrumors newbie

Macbook Air or Macbook Pro??

I am in the same boat trying to decide between a MBP and an MBA. I just purchased and IMac 24" about a month ago and figure I could do most of my heaving processing on that machine. On my current laptop, I mostly use it for email and web browsing. The only thing holding me back from buying the MBA is the possiblity of an upgrade to the MBP's and I am very anxious to see what they have to offer over the current MBP's.

9. pseudonymph macrumors member

An iMac with 4GB should definitely cover most "power user" activities. I'd go with the Air for a portable, or maybe a regular Macbook if you're trying to save some cash and don't mind the extra weight.

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you have enough hp's at home with the imac so why not indulge and get the air. even if its only to be envied by every one of your friends:)

that air is so light and thin, why not spoil yourself if you can afford to

11. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If it's worth it to you, get an MBA.

Like many others, I think the MBA is a portable computer than supplements a home workstation. Use it for lightweight applications on the go, while heavy lifting is done by the home machine. If it suits your needs and budget, get an MBA. If you plan to do more while mobile, then consider the MB or MBP.

12. Crossbone macrumors regular

13. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

The air is kick ass. Now, I have found that encoding movies with handbrake may not be the best use of the air, the fans come on all loud and annoying, but if you have the imac to do heavy lifting on(as I do), the air is an incredible machine.

I use mine for surfing, working with proposals in word and excel, doing powerpoint presents, listening to itunes, and terminal stuff. works great.

The form factor is incredible and the trackpad and new keyboard are the best evar.

buy it.

14. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Have you considered just the standard MacBook as opposed to either the Air or the Pro?

15. Echinda macrumors regular

Guy in the office down the hall just got the MBA. It's pretty sweet. I can't get by with integrated graphics, but if I could I would buy the MBA.

16. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Yeah i agree. if really NEED 3pounds versus 5pounds of MB then get the air. The Macbook is way cheaper and has more power than the Air.

17. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

Buy the Air.

18. NoLongerAPCGuy macrumors newbie

I just got back from the Apple Store and compared the two side by side. The MBA was nice but I did prefer the the MBP and will now wait a couple of days to see if there are any upgrades in the near future.

Scott

19. a4abt macrumors regular

I was at Best Buy this morning and played with the MB Air. It is a very nice looking notebook, but I wouldn't buy it. It is very expensive for the hardware it's got.

20. dj420118 macrumors regular

the macbook air looks bada** but it just doesnt have enough ports :(

21. chickenninja macrumors 6502

chickenninja

you should have skipped the imac and just a macpro to use for everything. but now that you have it you should get the air cause its really light and mobile etc

22. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Toshiba R500 is the way to go for ultra portability and functionality. Looks great and the price is good. Only drawback is it does not run OS X.

23. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Get air if all your tasks are going to be browsing, email and other light activities...I think it suits perfectly for your needs...

24. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

nobody is telling you to buy the air because it is a pos waste of money. Since you clearly have the money to throw at it, might as well get it. You cannot deny it's really cool.