MacBook Air owners, do you also have/want an iPad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by petvas, Mar 18, 2014.

?

Do you also have or want an iPad too?

1. I own a 11" MBA and have / want an iPad too

23 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. I own a 13" MBA and have / want an iPad too

52 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. I own a 11" MBA and don't need (want) an iPad

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. I own a 13" MBA and don't need (want) an iPad

10 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I was wondering, Macbook Air owners, how many of you have an iPad as a companion to your laptop? Of course there are many threads comparing the two devices, but I wanted to see how Macbook Air owners feel about the need to have an iPad also, or not.

I currently have both, but I use my iPad less and less.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have both a 13" MacBook Air (i7/8GB RAM/512GB SDD) and a white iPad Air (64GB Cellular+WiFi), in addition to work and home iMacs and my iPhone 5S.

All of these devices have their "best" use cases. My work/home iMacs have dual screen setups, so I can spread out and have a bunch of windows open if I want. If I'm traveling, I still need a "full" computer, so the MacBook Air comes with me, and I use it whenever I'm working on documents or just need something that the iPad Air can't provide.

that said, the iPad Air is still very useful to me. In meetings, on a plane, on the couch at home or lots of other discreet situations where a laptop is overkill if I just want to check on e-mail, check out some websites or look at apps, the iPad usually fits the bill. And in even more cramped or mobile situations, there's my iPhone which almost never leaves my side.

If I *had* to I could easily do away with half of these and still be fine. But, they're all nice to have, and none of them are underused. :)

3. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Yes. I also believe that every device fits a specific usage scenario, but if I had to choose, then I would leave my iPad behind.
    I also have an iMac which I mainly use for everything. My MacBook Air is more being used when I am on the couch, or need a laptop when traveling.
    For light stuff I use my iPad Air when traveling, and of course at home, when I feel that I don't need an OS X system, for doing basic things.

4. luffy22 macrumors newbie

I had an iPad for a couple of years, got rid as I missed having a proper keypad and upgraded to an macbook air.
    much better, I don't miss the iPad at all, the macbook comes with me everywhere just like the iPad did, I don't think of it as much larger and having a keyboard is so much easier to work with.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I am in pretty much the position of both of these posts.

For both work and pleasure, I travel a lot, and, over the past year, I have had both a MBA and an iPad. I use my MBA every day more or less all day. Both models excel, but the portability of the 11" MBA is perfect for trains, planes, and so on.

Colleagues recommended an iPad to me, and I bough an iPad mini (wifi and cellular) last summer. The thing is, I don't much care for the touch screen, so I bought a small Logitech keyboard (also recommended by a colleague).

However, I can do all I need to do just as well on the MBA.

They are different devices with different strengths and different functions. The iPad is designed to allow for online consumption, whereas the MBA is designed to enable the production of content. In truth, I found the iPad more difficult to use - if I intended to use it for anything other than web browsing, and I found myself using it less and less.

6. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

I would throw away my MBP and get an iPad if some day the iPad becomes a real laptop replacement. Otherwise I think having an iPad is pointless. Specially if you have a high-end phone and you carry your MBP with you most of the time. This is just my opinion.

7. oikos macrumors newbie

You left out at least one option:

I have both a 13" MBAir and a maxed out iPad3, but wish I'd bought an 11" MBAir instead of the iPad.

I'm using the iPad less and less over time - in fact very little in the last 6 months. Why buy a toy computer when I can have a real compact one with a small screen (yet bigger than the iPad's) for the same price? Touch and scribble are in the end less important to me than using regular business & photography software and real keys to type - that also can drive a large monitor on my desk when I need that. Still love my 3.5 year-old 13" MBAir, but could also use an 11 for taking notes at for meetings.

I think a functional Surface-style MBAir/iPadAir 11" hybrid would be ideal, but Apple hasn't made that yet. (Hint hint :)

8. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have an 11" air and an iPad (and several other macs), and I have to say I really enjoy my air over the iPad. I use it less and less. The air can do everything the iPad can and so much more. I had forgot how nice it is to read and surf the web without actually having to hold your device upright. With iBook on the Mac as well, it have even less use for the iPad.
    The 11" air is a perfect second mac/ iPad replacement

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA and have no interest in the iPad. It actually surprises me, but I've never been interested in the iPad. Got the original iPad for my daughter's family when it was first released. Got them a retina iPad last summer. My 4 year old granddaughter is a whiz on it, she was using the iPad long before she turned one year old.

But it just doesn't interest me. I have an iPhone 5s, so that gives me a portable device for the times I don't have my MBA with me.

10. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I don't. Had a 13" MBP [2010], and just recently went to a 2013 11" MBA maxed out. Best of both worlds [for me at least]; portability, keyboard built in, all my apps, and great battery.

11. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

I can certainly see why this opinion makes sense, if you've got a laptop and a smartphone, the tablet seems like an unnecessary middle-ground device, when either of the other two might work better. Here are a few reasons I can come up with why a tablet might be a helpful addition to your setup:
    • iBooks/media on transit when you don't want to get the laptop out (and want to read on a larger screen than the smartphone)
    • iPad-only apps (few and far between, but they exist)
    • iPad I feel is still the best way to view/share visual media like photos
    Not trying to sell you one :p just some things I thought of.

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I've got a 13" MBA and an iPad 2. It's by no means a companion to the MBA, as the MBA travels with me and the iPad stays home does non work related things.

13. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Opposite for me. My MacBook stays home, and my iPad travels with me wherever I go.

I work in the IT field - I've got a computer at my desk at work. As my iPad is connected to 4G wherever I go, I use it on the go, and at my desk as a companion music player, web surfer, personal email reader.

I see no need for a laptop on the go, as everything I need I have in my iPad. At home and at work, I use real computers at my desk.

14. Harry44 macrumors newbie

MBA + iPad

Honestly, my MacBookAir 13 is in daily use, the iPad 4 rests somewhere .. most of the time, since i can read iBooks on my iMac 21.5 and the MBA..

15. srminton macrumors member

srminton

If you read a lot, it's worth it. Better than reading on the tiny iPhone screen, and reading a newspaper, magazine or book on a laptop is really not a great experience. I spend 90% of time on my iPad using iBooks and Newsstand apps.

It's also good for kicking back on the couch and doing some quick editing of a document in Pages, writing some emails and looking something up on the web. I always thought that carrying a laptop everywhere is overkill; but carrying an iPad everywhere is as natural as carrying a paper notepad or book.

16. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I have a 13" MBA and an iPad rMini but not really sure I needed one. Still spend more time using the MBA and when I need something more mobile typically just pick up my iPhone :D

17. satchmo macrumors 68000

I have an iPad Air but frankly, would prefer an MacBook Air. That will happen the moment a retina model is unveiled.
    For reading, a new 4.7" iPhone 6 will do just fine...or a cheap 7" inch Nexus 7.

18. vicynic macrumors member

No, I use and want to continue using Kindle Fire tablets as my consumption device. My 13" MBA is the first and only Apple product I own.

19. abta1 macrumors 6502

I have an 11" MBA as well as a cellular iPad mini retina. The iPad is used a lot for surfing the web and youtube as well as a portal for listening to music and other content consumption purposes. I also take it to work and use it as a note taking and organisational tool.

The MBA is used as my home computer and is taken on trips. I use it for all internet related usage that the iPad isn't really capable or suitable for and for writing. I would say that I use them both extensively and equally.

20. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I had a iPad 4 before owning my June 2103 11" Air. And honestly, with tethering from my iPhone. My iPad strictly my at home device now. I take the 11" everywhere. Having it be so portable, and a full fledged machine, its just so clutch to have at all times.

If i ever get another iPad it will be a mini, I wont need the larger screen iPad with the Air being pretty much perfect for me.

21. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

Bought a 13" MBA and have a Retina iPad Mini mainly for reading when on the go.

22. donstenk macrumors member

donstenk

MacBook Air +iPhone = perfect

I was a late adopter of the iPad as I reasoned that I can do serious work on a Macbook Air, and catchup on mail and messages on the iPhone which is always with me. The iPad does not fit either of these scenarios.

I now have an iPad Mini, bought purely for reading. My previous Sony eReader was good to read on by clunky to use and to get books onto, plus it's annoying to use another OS if you don't have to.

Now the iPad is used in the evening to read books, magazines but also to surf the net as it provides a separation between work and private tools. There are days when at the end of a long day you just don't want to pick up my work tools! The ipad has all notifications switches of so it's a relaxing device.

Could I do without it - sure. Definitely could not do without a MacBook or iPhone.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

I got a rmbp and iPad and iPad mini. :)
    We also got another mba and iPad2 in the house.

24. rikardors macrumors member

rikardors

No iPhone?

----------

I use my iPad mini mainly to read, is portable so you can take it anywhere and is good for looking at web pages!

25. skinny*k macrumors regular

I bought a 1st gneration iPad 3G when they came out, and as much as I liked the hardware, the limits and impositions of iOs and iTunes—making the things that I wanted to do with a portable device more difficut or impossible—were too much for me. If the iPod had MacOS instead of iOs I would have added a blutooth keyboard and been happy; instead, I gave it to my daughter and bought an 11” MBA as a replacement.

The MBA is my 6th or 7th laptop, and its the first laptop that I’ve really been happy with, but if Apple comes out with a MacOS tablet, I’m sure that I’ll buy one, and give the MBA to my daughter.